Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving courses

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2001, 05:23 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know of any good advanced driver 'improvement'/performance courses? Ideally in the North West?

I picked up a little toy (350bhp/tonne Westie ) a few weeks ago, and having had a few sideways moments, it has made me realise that twice the PWR but half the driving wheels (compared to the scooby) can be a handful (albeit a fun one ) and given how much a 10 minute session with an instructor at a track day can benefit the day, I would get so much more out of the car by learning 'properly'

....the fact that it would be bloody good fun is a mere side benefit
Old 23 October 2001, 06:21 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have heard - though not experienced - good things about www.1stlotus.co.uk who recently did some training in Scotland of some Scooby drivers....
Old 23 October 2001, 07:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Where's that Felstead johnny?
Old 24 October 2001, 09:32 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I've read on the bookatrack.com website some good stories of instructors they can get, maybe ask on there? I think you could pay for a dedicated instructor. Combine that, say with Elvington and you'd probably have a good safe place to try some things out with the instructor.

greg
Old 24 October 2001, 11:57 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Gary

Mike @ PD does this sort of course, presuming you are not interested in RoSPA or IAM?

I think his URL is www.performancedrivers.co.uk but I stand to be corrected.

TONY
Old 24 October 2001, 12:08 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

The airfield idea sounds *very* interesting (and bloody good
fun )

Have looked at, and emailed, 1st Lotus. looks good, but courses seem to be in Swansea

Will try Mike at PD, but not it isn't RoSPA/IAM I'm after Its "How to get the most out of 350bhp/tonne lightweight RWD car without ending up pointing the wrong way down the road" instruction
Old 24 October 2001, 12:19 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You want someone to teach you how to handle that power? John Felstead without fail.

Without doubt the best driver I have been in a car with on the road-and well, Nat reckoned he was the daddy on track too I aint been out with him as of yet, but would drop everything for the chance.

Want someone to show you "how it works" hes your man.

No question.

Old 24 October 2001, 12:22 PM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Gary, sorry for jumping onto your thread but ....

I'm looking into driving courses myself.

Has anyone done the IAM course, was it of any use?? A friend of mine would like to improve their driving awareness/control, so I would appreciate anyones feedback on the IAM and other courses of this nature.

I want to do the same myself at first, but then move onto another course with more of an emphasis on getting the best out of the Subaru Turbo - I find it bites back at times.

Will look at the sites mentioned, but if anyone can comment on above it would be great.

Ian
Old 24 October 2001, 01:43 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

1st Lotus email bounces back and number is unobtainable Have they gone bump?
Old 24 October 2001, 01:55 PM
JohnS

Gary,

you might be interested in a week of training courses which the guy from 1stlotus is setting up in Scotland.

It will be held on air airfiled in Scotland, during the week beginning the 12th November. Maximum two people being trained per day. Whilst one is getting one to one tuition, the other is free to use the other parts of the airfield to practice the things being taught.

The cost for the whole days training will be a mere £120.

The same chap also offers one on one training in your own car on the road, with a full days training course costing about £140. he will travel about the country to do these training course, but he needs a group of people in the same area to be interested in the same training at the same time to make it viable.

The chap was up for a week or more in September with most of the Scottish Elise owners (there were a few Scooby drivers who got trained then as well), and he is coming back to Scotland again in a few weeks time. I'm sure he could be booked on his way to or from Scotland if you contacted him.

If anyone is interested in the driver training in Scotland, then give me a shout and I'll try and co-ordinate things from the Impreza owners.

John
Old 24 October 2001, 01:58 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

ref elvington

bookatrack web ssite has a post from Tony @1-2-1instruction, so try posting there or see if they have a web site