Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking for buying advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 11:18 AM
AlastairMowat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for buying advice!

Hello!

I have just registered here as I am looking to buy an early (95) Impreza wagon. I have looked at at few and was hoping to do a deal on one that I saw at the weekend.

A mate has helped me out on the viewings as he knows a bit more about them than I do, and have checked for the usual things (I think!).

The car is a 95' turbo 2000 wagon, so is a UK car, and has 102,000 miles . The bodywork is ok, nothing serious, just a few scratches and the paint on the front bumper is slightly faded. Is is standard apart from an exhaust and an ecotec valve(??) and starts and drives well. There doesnt appear to be any blue smoke from the exhuast under power and the gearbox feels good.

I have done an HPI and it has come back clear, bar from the fact that there has been a lot of owners from new - 7!!!

Is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for? Is there any buyers guides out there that I should be checking against? I have heard of people experiencing bottom ends blowing up at high speed and high revs

I need the car to be reliable and cant afford for the thing to blow up as I need to tow a mk1 golf that I will be using for sprints this year.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section!

Thanks for any help in advance.
Ali
Old 11 April 2006, 11:29 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet

THIS should keep you quiet for a while
Old 11 April 2006, 11:32 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

seems a bit high on the millage,but i understand that the car is 11yrs old,so its expected. saying that if the car has been looked after and fully serviced it shouldnt be a problem. As for towing wilth it in my opinion this is a definate no no,i wouldnt suggest useing any high performance car with a turbo for towing ,your asking for it to blow up. my advice would be to have a good look round b4 buying one,i know youve probably got itchy feet but theres alot of good bargains to be had with half them miles. Hope this helps.
Old 11 April 2006, 12:10 PM
AlastairMowat
Scooby Newbie

As for towing wilth it in my opinion this is a definate no no,i wouldnt suggest useing any high performance car with a turbo for towing ,your asking for it to blow up.
Have people had problems towing with Subaru's or other turbo'd cars? I know quite a few people use to tow up here in Scotland, and think that they have been ok.

Do you think it is risky buying an impreza with that sort of millage?

Thanks
Ali
Old 11 April 2006, 12:36 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just think its a big risk putting alot of stress on the engine by pulling another car behind, in a way your engine is being used on two cars and this isnt good for a turbo, maybe pulling sumthing like a small trailor isnt to bad but as for another car!
ide say buying a high millage car is alot bigger risk than one with half the miles but if the car has been looked after then it should be ok.