Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY06STI clunks and rattles and knocks .....

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2006, 01:46 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06STI clunks and rattles and knocks .....

WTF is that all about.

Did a lap or two round the ring in one at the weekend and wasn't overly impressed........

On normal driving, normal roads if you muck about with the DCCD and try to pull out of a junction it feels like you have broke a bush or something. clunk clunk. I guess its where the car is transfering power between wheels ...very agricultural......

I guess the moral of the story is to leave the silly buttons alone and drive it in std setting ........

Maybe it was meant to be a farmers pick up truck like the good old days
Old 05 April 2006, 02:30 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Not being a fully fledged 'would-be rally driver', the C-Diff button confuses me so I leave it in 'auto' mode!

It's good for pub banter though...
Old 05 April 2006, 08:14 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
WTF is that all about.

Did a lap or two round the ring in one at the weekend and wasn't overly impressed........

On normal driving, normal roads if you muck about with the DCCD and try to pull out of a junction it feels like you have broke a bush or something. clunk clunk. I guess its where the car is transfering power between wheels ...very agricultural......

I guess the moral of the story is to leave the silly buttons alone and drive it in std setting ........

Maybe it was meant to be a farmers pick up truck like the good old days

Compared to the refinement of proper differential related 4 wheel drive cars like Audi and VW's 4 motion system which is very refined the Subaru is bound to be agricultural. To be honest, being a countryman I have always favoured Subaru but after driving a Golf R32, a Passat 4 motion and a Toureg I am convinced I have been buying the wrong brand. Especially as the characteristic flat four burble has been omitted on the MY06 models. My money is going elsewhere this year.

Blutes
Old 06 April 2006, 08:29 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

If you want to go fast and be refined, you'll have to spend more money.

S4, M3 and Cayman are similar performance, but offer that extra bit of quality....they also cost a lot more.

A Subaru goes fast for not a lot of cash. If you can accept that, then you'll not be dissapointed by some of it's short comings.
Old 06 April 2006, 08:53 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Especially as the characteristic flat four burble has been omitted on the MY06 models. My money is going elsewhere this year.

Blutes[/quote]

The Burble is still there, PPP or a center and rear exhaust box changes that!
Old 06 April 2006, 09:16 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

But 4motion isn't full-time 4WD but 2WD that transfers torque when those two wheels lose grip. Drive hard round a damp long sweeping bend and I would sooner have the full-time 4WD any day.
Old 06 April 2006, 09:27 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
But 4motion isn't full-time 4WD but 2WD that transfers torque when those two wheels lose grip. Drive hard round a damp long sweeping bend and I would sooner have the full-time 4WD any day.
Exactly, also look at the Evo test track times, of the top of my head the GolfR32 is 7 seconds slower round the track, the RS4 is slower by a second etc.

Seems to be fashionable at the moment to be Scooby bashing but for £23K there is nothing to touch them (apart from Evos)
Old 06 April 2006, 09:39 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davedipster
Especially as the characteristic flat four burble has been omitted on the MY06 models. My money is going elsewhere this year.

Blutes
The Burble is still there, PPP or a center and rear exhaust box changes that![/QUOTE]
agreed

Gary - the clunks go ... I think Marks car was only 1000 miles old so hadnt loosened up sufficiently. Mine is much looser and hardly clunks at all now

The ring write up you did is pretty sweet, looks like a great time was had by everyone apart from mr New Noble owner