ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY06STI clunks and rattles and knocks ..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/505352-my06sti-clunks-and-rattles-and-knocks.html)

Gutmann pug 05 April 2006 01:46 PM

MY06STI clunks and rattles and knocks .....

WTF is that all about.

Did a lap or two round the ring in one at the weekend and wasn't overly impressed........

On normal driving, normal roads if you muck about with the DCCD and try to pull out of a junction it feels like you have broke a bush or something. clunk clunk. I guess its where the car is transfering power between wheels ...very agricultural......

I guess the moral of the story is to leave the silly buttons alone and drive it in std setting ........

Maybe it was meant to be a farmers pick up truck like the good old days :D

Leeroy 05 April 2006 02:30 PM

Not being a fully fledged 'would-be rally driver':notworthy, the C-Diff button confuses me:confused: so I leave it in 'auto' mode!

It's good for pub banter though...:D

bluto22b 05 April 2006 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
WTF is that all about.

Did a lap or two round the ring in one at the weekend and wasn't overly impressed........

On normal driving, normal roads if you muck about with the DCCD and try to pull out of a junction it feels like you have broke a bush or something. clunk clunk. I guess its where the car is transfering power between wheels ...very agricultural......

I guess the moral of the story is to leave the silly buttons alone and drive it in std setting ........

Maybe it was meant to be a farmers pick up truck like the good old days :D

Compared to the refinement of proper differential related 4 wheel drive cars like Audi and VW's 4 motion system which is very refined the Subaru is bound to be agricultural. To be honest, being a countryman I have always favoured Subaru but after driving a Golf R32, a Passat 4 motion and a Toureg I am convinced I have been buying the wrong brand. Especially as the characteristic flat four burble has been omitted on the MY06 models. My money is going elsewhere this year.

Blutes

davyboy 06 April 2006 08:29 AM

If you want to go fast and be refined, you'll have to spend more money.

S4, M3 and Cayman are similar performance, but offer that extra bit of quality....they also cost a lot more.

A Subaru goes fast for not a lot of cash. If you can accept that, then you'll not be dissapointed by some of it's short comings.

davedipster 06 April 2006 08:53 AM

Especially as the characteristic flat four burble has been omitted on the MY06 models. My money is going elsewhere this year.

Blutes[/quote]

The Burble is still there, PPP or a center and rear exhaust box changes that!

speedking 06 April 2006 09:16 AM

But 4motion isn't full-time 4WD but 2WD that transfers torque when those two wheels lose grip. Drive hard round a damp long sweeping bend and I would sooner have the full-time 4WD any day.

KiwiGTI 06 April 2006 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by speedking
But 4motion isn't full-time 4WD but 2WD that transfers torque when those two wheels lose grip. Drive hard round a damp long sweeping bend and I would sooner have the full-time 4WD any day.

Exactly, also look at the Evo test track times, of the top of my head the GolfR32 is 7 seconds slower round the track, the RS4 is slower by a second etc.

Seems to be fashionable at the moment to be Scooby bashing but for £23K there is nothing to touch them (apart from Evos)

dynamix 06 April 2006 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by davedipster
Especially as the characteristic flat four burble has been omitted on the MY06 models. My money is going elsewhere this year.

Blutes

The Burble is still there, PPP or a center and rear exhaust box changes that![/QUOTE]
agreed :D

Gary - the clunks go ... I think Marks car was only 1000 miles old so hadnt loosened up sufficiently. Mine is much looser and hardly clunks at all now :)

The ring write up you did is pretty sweet, looks like a great time was had by everyone apart from mr New Noble owner :freak3: