Sponsored by:

Skoda + Police = Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2006, 08:24 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Skoda + Police = Speeding Ticket

Good day o worthy followers of the Scoobynet!

So here we go with a rant!

Here I am driving home looking to rejoin the M11(S) at Bishops Stortford ( which I believe is abt junction 8 ) . . . .So I am in the Scoob . . .Rejoining off the dual carriageway . . On we go in the left lane with another road merging from the left and a HGV ahead of me . .I move to the right to give myself more space and allow for traffic that may possibly be rejoining from the left . . . Also, as the road was curving to the left, moving right lane , I felt, would give me better visibility + margin for error . . . .

Needless to say, as I am executing the manouvere, my foot is down . .Deary me . .THen comes the sign 50 mph . . .The SCoob can handle well over . .But my priority is to put the hazards behind me (as I was trained). . .Weather was fair . .Road dry, Winds and traffic V. light . . . Next thing I know I get pulled over by , guess an unmarked Police car . .Which as luck would have it -Silver Skoda Octavia 03 reg 2.8 v6 . . . .Pretty Nice car actually . . . .Next thing I know a ginger guy in a blue boiler suit gets out and starts giving it abt speed limits and how I was averaging well above 50 in the curve . . .All I said, the car climbs through the gear, and I don'r deny that it may have been going over 50 but it was unintentional . . .

So his reply is, "I drive one of these and rally them and know what noise they make, so yr excuse does not stand, as I caught you doing over 50 mph" . . . . .So me thinks . . Fair Cop . .He takes my license . .Gets in to the Skoda, and comes back and saiz - you were' averaging well above 50 . . Cool . .Well "Can I see the Video" I enquire . .

He saiz sure . . .And adds - you want to see it bacause you want to contest it . .Not really . .I want to see it to make sure the guy is doing his job properly . . . . Anyhow . .to cut a long story short . . .I accept the ticket with no intention of challenging it (purely bacause I have no time to get involved ) / . . . .But there are a few conclusions to be drawn from this . . . . .

1) Police drive Silver unmarked Skoda's in Essex . . .

2) No matter how competent the maneuvere you are executing, your speed takes priority . . .

3) The Policemen knows better because he goes rallying . . .

4) Police are not afraid to intimidate by saying " You are free to challenge the prosecution, but you will have to go to court and may face a 1000 pound fine . . .

5) I thought getting pulled over was better that getting a fine from a speed camera . .Wrong . . .This guy was good as a speed camera . . .

6) Once the Police intends wished to prosecute, it is not negotiable, no point arguing . . .

Rant complete . .60 pounds in the Post . .. . .Spend it wisely Essex Council!

p.S . . .I thought I looked quite good in the Video!
Old 04 April 2006, 11:05 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
Good day o worthy followers of the Scoobynet!

So here we go with a rant!

Here I am driving home looking to rejoin the M11(S) at Bishops Stortford ( which I believe is abt junction 8 ) . . . .So I am in the Scoob . . .Rejoining off the dual carriageway . . On we go in the left lane with another road merging from the left and a HGV ahead of me . .I move to the right to give myself more space and allow for traffic that may possibly be rejoining from the left . . . Also, as the road was curving to the left, moving right lane , I felt, would give me better visibility + margin for error . . . .

Needless to say, as I am executing the manouvere, my foot is down . .Deary me . .THen comes the sign 50 mph . . .The SCoob can handle well over . .But my priority is to put the hazards behind me (as I was trained). . .Weather was fair . .Road dry, Winds and traffic V. light . . . Next thing I know I get pulled over by , guess an unmarked Police car . .Which as luck would have it -Silver Skoda Octavia 03 reg 2.8 v6 . . . .Pretty Nice car actually . . . .Next thing I know a ginger guy in a blue boiler suit gets out and starts giving it abt speed limits and how I was averaging well above 50 in the curve . . .All I said, the car climbs through the gear, and I don'r deny that it may have been going over 50 but it was unintentional . . .

So his reply is, "I drive one of these and rally them and know what noise they make, so yr excuse does not stand, as I caught you doing over 50 mph" . . . . .So me thinks . . Fair Cop . .He takes my license . .Gets in to the Skoda, and comes back and saiz - you were' averaging well above 50 . . Cool . .Well "Can I see the Video" I enquire . .

He saiz sure . . .And adds - you want to see it bacause you want to contest it . .Not really . .I want to see it to make sure the guy is doing his job properly . . . . Anyhow . .to cut a long story short . . .I accept the ticket with no intention of challenging it (purely bacause I have no time to get involved ) / . . . .But there are a few conclusions to be drawn from this . . . . .

1) Police drive Silver unmarked Skoda's in Essex . . .

2) No matter how competent the maneuvere you are executing, your speed takes priority . . .

3) The Policemen knows better because he goes rallying . . .

4) Police are not afraid to intimidate by saying " You are free to challenge the prosecution, but you will have to go to court and may face a 1000 pound fine . . .

5) I thought getting pulled over was better that getting a fine from a speed camera . .Wrong . . .This guy was good as a speed camera . . .

6) Once the Police intends wished to prosecute, it is not negotiable, no point arguing . . .

Rant complete . .60 pounds in the Post . .. . .Spend it wisely Essex Council!

p.ps . .Sorry Guys . .I realise ther's not much point to this story, but just wanted to get it off my chest! I'm sure ther's nothing new in what I said!
Old 05 April 2006, 12:14 AM
grpbrallyfan
Scooby Regular

Talking

well, If you're happy, I'm sure all's well! normally these stories just decesnd into an arguement about "jobsworth" coppers.

*im on neither side may I add, but i do feel that incidences such as this should not just be based on speed.*

(sorry, that was just as pointless!)
Old 05 April 2006, 12:23 AM
Clazza
Scooby Regular

Quote "unmarked Police car . .Which as luck would have it -Silver Skoda Octavia 03 reg 2.8 v6"

the sneaky buggers, will have to keep an eye out! That's the last car i'd expect to find them in!
Old 05 April 2006, 12:33 AM
ZYRUSS
Scooby Regular

Rules are not there to be broken
Old 05 April 2006, 07:09 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clazza
"unmarked Police car . .Which as luck would have it -Silver Skoda Octavia 03 reg 2.8 v6"

the sneaky buggers, will have to keep an eye out! That's the last car i'd expect to find them in!

Are you kidding? Half the forces in Britain have them now. Cambridgeshire have a black one BTW.

Also:

Police are not afraid to intimidate by saying " You are free to challenge the prosecution, but you will have to go to court and may face a 1000 pound fine . . .
is the truth, not imtimidation. If you plead not guilty but get found guilty in court, you WILL get a much more severe punishment.

M
Old 05 April 2006, 07:45 AM
smartbase
Scooby Newbie

On the subject of police cars, driving along the A15 near bourne (Lincolnshire) on sunday, I was overtaken by a fully marked up, blue lights on roof etc WRX :-) first time I've seen one in these parts
Old 05 April 2006, 07:51 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZYRUSS
Rules are not there to be broken
They are when they're just bloody stupid

This sort of thing really riles me. Glad I dont stay in the country much
Old 05 April 2006, 08:02 AM
Rabid
BANNED

. . .

Next thing I know I get pulled over by , guess an unmarked Police car . .Which as luck would have it -Silver Skoda Octavia 03 reg 2.8 v6 . . . .Pretty Nice car p.S . . .I thought I looked quite good in the Video!
The Octavia you mention does not exist ie there is no such model.
Old 05 April 2006, 08:03 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

So if you had braked hard and caused an accident you still would have been wrong, *****, they want it everyway, (Oh Yeah I'm a rally driver too)
Cheers
Colin
Old 05 April 2006, 08:17 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

i hope you asked for a copy so you could see your racing lines
martin
Old 05 April 2006, 08:21 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Was it ACTUALLY a 50 limit or a suggested 50 limit (i.e. a warning sign with "MAX SPEED 50" written under neath on the slip road?? A speed limit is only enforcable if it is contained within a red circle.

As for the ticket, did he actually have video equiptment?? If not contest it, he needs two forms of evidence, yes a callibrated speedo can be used in conjunction with the evidence of one officer but I'd be willing to bet its not been callibrated recently.
Old 05 April 2006, 08:22 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
The Octavia you mention does not exist ie there is no such model.
I think he means Skoda Superb 2.8 V6.. they look almost the same.
Old 05 April 2006, 09:43 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Isn't it more likely to be an Octavia vRS? A lot of forces use them. If it was a Superb you'd know as soon as you sat in the back - acres of legroom!
Old 05 April 2006, 10:00 AM
Jolly Green Giant
Scooby Newbie

I actually work at Stansted airport and they do regualr speed checks on that part of the road.

I should know as got caught myself!
Old 05 April 2006, 10:16 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Wink

Apologies please . .You are right . .Was not an Octavia, but a Skoda Superb 2.8 V6.. It was a 50 limit in a red circle . .Admitedly, I was going over the speed, but still would insist I posed no danger to myself or other members of the public - allowing for plenty of space . I repeat - weather clear, trafic v.light, winds light, road dry!. .Yes . .I would like a copy of the video, because it was sunny and my car had a fresh coat of p21S . . Looked good me tells you!

True to form if I challenge, the penalty may be worse, or it may not be . .Police are known for bending the rules, and what the Police always neglect to say , because they are always right, is that the Magistrate may also dismiss the case and send them on their way . .

Anyhow . .Will be more careful in the future . . .Watch out for that Skoda boys!

And off I go to write a cheque!

p.s . .No matter what Skoda it was , I am sure its a heap!

p.p.S . . Where do they do speed checks on Stanstead airport . . .Runway 27 left??? I got caught junction a120 with m11 . .

p.p.p.S Because the policeman admitted to driving a SCoob, I think the Car just became that little bit less cool . . .I am sure the officer is now sitting somewhere , and in between reading a copy of THE SUN, is telling his copper mates how he scalped a Subaru . .I have one message for the officer - stick to Skoda's mate! And change that boiler suit - you look like a clown!

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 05 April 2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05 April 2006, 12:16 PM
Jolly Green Giant
Scooby Newbie

as you join the A120 either from the M11 roundabout or M11 directly as the road straightens out 100 yards or so before the national speed limit sign there is a gap in the bushes where those lovely little men in their nice suits wait, just under the flight path of runway 05.
Old 05 April 2006, 12:24 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant
as you join the A120 either from the M11 roundabout or M11 directly as the road straightens out 100 yards or so before the national speed limit sign there is a gap in the bushes where those lovely little men in their nice suits wait, just under the flight path of runway 05.
Runway 05 . . .Got it! So I gather it would be just a little bit before the BP station on my left . Anyhow . .Thanks . .Will keep a look out!
Old 05 April 2006, 12:30 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

If its on an Mway they only need one coppers opinion for speeding, no corrobrotaion, it sucks, but its true.......

If there is Video, then you can contest it, (go to http://pepipoo.com for advice!) and it will probably only cost you £35 costs....however you need to rebut his opinion with evidence, which by the sounds of it you will not have!

Money goes to treasury central funds, not Scammer partnership as it was a copper in a car not a Scamera!

Simon
Old 05 April 2006, 12:33 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

.. It was a 50 limit in a red circle . .Admitedly, I was going over the speed, but still would insist I posed no danger to myself or other members of the public -!
Well there we go.. Not much you can do about that then The law is the law and you were just unlucky enough to get caught in the act, better luck next time
Old 05 April 2006, 04:26 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well there we go.. Not much you can do about that then The law is the law and you were just unlucky enough to get caught in the act, better luck next time
My thoughts on the subject exactly! THanks for the support guys and pleasant motoring to you all . . . All this makes me think of 1 verse from an Elvis song - "Even if I blow my very last dime, I'l have a really swinging time!" . . .
Old 05 April 2006, 05:47 PM
Clazza
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=_Meridian_]Are you kidding? Half the forces in Britain have them now. Cambridgeshire have a black one BTW.

No kid you not, I have seen plenty of volvos and even a WRX, but never seen a skoda!
Old 05 April 2006, 06:02 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Question

But what's more humiliating . ???

a) Getting pulled over by a Skoda . .

b) Getting pulled over by some one ginger?

c) Getting pulled over by an upper minded copper who knows better because he goes Rallying???

d) all the above together

Answers on a post card!

Disclaimer . . .- Did not wish to offend any ginger people !
Old 05 April 2006, 06:26 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

Quoteisclaimer . . .- Did not wish to offend any ginger people

Lol..................all those years of being bullied at school, they need to be able to vent their anger somewhere.

P.S. Did he smell?
Old 05 April 2006, 08:00 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

A120 is a well known place to be pulled.

Funny how you see more speed traps on nice warm sunny days.

Most accidents seem to occur in the wet when all the plods are in the dry warmth of the station
Old 05 April 2006, 08:36 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Got pulled by a Silver Skoda last year.

The friendly policeman gave me an invitation to visit his nice court, and his friends there gave me 4 points and a £200 fine.

Friendly bunch of people.

(99mph 'apparently' on an empty 4 lane motorway)
Old 05 April 2006, 08:57 PM
Clazza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Got pulled by a Silver Skoda last year.

The friendly policeman gave me an invitation to visit his nice court, and his friends there gave me 4 points and a £200 fine.

Friendly bunch of people.

(99mph 'apparently' on an empty 4 lane motorway)
Hope you have declared those points to your insurance company!!!
Old 05 April 2006, 10:32 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

But what's more humiliating . ???

a) Getting pulled over by a Skoda . .

b) Getting pulled over by some one ginger?

c) Getting pulled over by an upper minded copper who knows better because he goes Rallying???

d) all the above together

Answers on a post card!

Disclaimer . . .- Did not wish to offend any ginger people !

What about offending any Skoda people
Old 05 April 2006, 10:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Clazza
Hope you have declared those points to your insurance company!!!
Of course!!!
Old 05 April 2006, 10:38 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

Quite simply , we can not win . . .Lets spend our entire lives antagonised by ginger misfitts in Skoda's . . But, it's v.scary what you tell me about the A120 . . .Back in the day when it was a private road, part owned by me, I at times got a high three digits!

Question is really . . Did I seriously expect him to let me off . . .Its better to deal with spead cameras, so that way you save yourself the agro! Another thing I notice . .

London , which is full of traffic and crap drivers - you hardly ever see any traffic cops . .The only brush your car will ever have with the law is a) Don't pay a paking fine b) Don't pay congestion charge . . .The the Police and various other law enforcement agencies will hound you till the end of the Earth . .

Essex . .However . .Sparcely populated . .People pleasant . .Not much traffic - but spreed trap coppers galore . . .Don't quote me on this, but is this perhaps because there is no crime??

p.p.S . . Disclaimer No 2 . . .Did not mean to offend any citizenz of the Czech Republic . . .The fact there was one mean person driving that brand of car, is not a reflection of your status as an industrial nation . .

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 05 April 2006 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Skoda + Police = Speeding Ticket