Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I might fancy a new car but...?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2006, 05:25 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I might fancy a new car but...?

Had my bugeye WRX since new (Nov 02) and I love it to bits even though I hardly get to drive it - weekend car 8800m only!

I've done loads to the car, exhaust, turbo, injectors, AP's, wheels etc etc. Trouble is, I spend more time waxing it than driving it due to driving my company A6 all day. By that I mean I typically don't fancy driving any more after work.

Now that the car is getting on in terms of years (but certainly not wear!) I've started thinking about whether I:-

1) Keep it - bu66er all miles and immaculate condition
2) Trade it in for a convertable (S2000, Boxster S) maybe more suited to occasional driving??
3) Buy a brand new STI for £22k from motorpoint

What do you reckon?
Old 02 April 2006, 05:29 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

keep it mate uve done to much to just sell it. so what if you dnt drive it its sumthing to look forward to at the weekends.
Old 02 April 2006, 05:40 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Think you're right - I have chucked loads of cash at it over the years! All the above plus, stereo (1.2K), chargecooler, headers, gauges and SECs monitor, morettes with HID, Orciari spoiler and front & rears bumper lips.

As sad as it sounds, because I wax/seal it so often (several times a week in good weather - I find it therapeutic!) the paint is glossy-er than brand new cars that I've looked at.

When I think about buying a new car I keep thinking - yeah but you'll miss the scoob. Then I look at the MY06s but think even if I go up to an STI its probably not going to be any better than my current car with its upgrades.

Think I do fancy a convertible more than anything if I did change - never had one but imagine it'd be amazing on a really nice summers day?
Old 02 April 2006, 06:04 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

never had one but imagine it'd be amazing on a really nice summers day?[/quote]

That maybe so but this in Britain. I know global warming is having some affect but I don't think that much.
Old 02 April 2006, 06:36 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo2

Think I do fancy a convertible more than anything if I did change - never had one but imagine it'd be amazing on a really nice summers day?

I've had two convertibles a bmw z3 and a mr2 tbar and to be honest i got bored with them very quickly. on the odd time it was sunny enough to get the top down i was usually at work and the noise factor when it was up was crap on the z3.

now gone back to hard top and will be buying a scooby soon.
Old 02 April 2006, 06:47 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Keep it mate, you will get offered sh*t money by dealers and sounds like a immaculate car.
Or if conv was a option i would go for the 350Z Conv.

Mac
Old 02 April 2006, 07:13 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, they're helping!

I took an S2000 in that nice dark grey colour out for a test drive about a year ago. Only just fit in (6ft 4) with the seat all the way back - sat at the lights waiting to have some fun and a bloody bird shat on my arm! Took that as an omen that rag tops weren't meant for me. Still got the hankering from time to time.

Was defo disappointed with the immediate lack of shove from the honda - foot down in 1st - nice hot day loads of grip and it didn't even let rip then - did like going past 8K rpm through the gears (sounded mint) and thats where it probably felt quick.

Yeah the stealers offered crap money a while back but at the honda dealer and the derby subaru gaf all the sales guys came out to look at the car saying it looked superb and they couldn't believe the condition it was in saying it looked better than a new car! Then they offered a crap figure - guys were even appologetic as they gave me the number! WTF!!??

It's always in the back of my mind that one day I will face a major ballache of trying to find a buyer who will recognise, value and appreciate the rare condition my car is in and I'll get a fair price for a car I've cherished from the day I got her. Such is life.
Old 02 April 2006, 09:14 PM
leerichosti
Scooby Regular

sorry mate but forget s2000 my brother was gonna buy one,same build as you looked like a pilchard in it plus not much faster than a civic type (with light mods ) in his opinion

keep it sounds like a concourse classic in years to come!
Old 02 April 2006, 10:08 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

keep it mate

you would kick yourself for years

you got shat on by a bird when you were sat in a car!!!!!

dirty b*tch
Old 02 April 2006, 10:14 PM
Eckmcmann
Scooby Regular

keep it mate what power do you think you're running with those mods
Old 03 April 2006, 12:34 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

if your still haooy with your car then keep it without a shadow of a doubt. it sounds mint and with those miles itl last for years yet.
even if you buy a new sti at 22k youl lose about 5k as soon as you drive it off the fore court, so add that to the depreciation on you car and the money youve spent on mods and your probably looking at being 20k out of pocket to have a car thats no quicker or more capable, just different.
of course if you want an sti to wax twice a week then il give you my address gladly
Old 03 April 2006, 10:33 AM
ScoobyEvo
Scooby Newbie

I would say say sell it, buy nothing else in terms of car (it seems you dont really need one) and just use the cash to go on some nice holidays
if you still want the occasional weekend drive buy a motorbike!!
Old 03 April 2006, 10:40 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Keep the scoob , If you've spec'd it that well and it's in such good condition then the age of it is irrelevant. You wont see the money you deserve for it and it wont go to a home as caring as yours. What you need to do is get out there and enjoy it more
Old 03 April 2006, 11:36 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies people!

leerichosti - good point, I felt like I looked a bit like an oaf shoe horned in to really thinking about it. Dead right on the civic comment too, my friend had a CTR and raced his pals S2K - CTR got a better start and the S2K never closed the gap.

Pete Higham - almost choked on my lunch - top joke!

Eckmcmann - I'm not sure what sort of power actually - anyone help out here? WRX with tubular unequal headers, full decat, fuel pump, 550cc injectors, panel filter, vf34 turbo, TSL chargecooler plus EcuTek by Richard Bulmer? Guessing low 300's? My friend has all above minus chargecooler plus has sports cat downpipe on his blobeye. Living in London he seems to get into little races with nice cars and does well. Old merc e class AMG, some sort of masserati, M3 etc etc and a few 600cc bikes.

scooby222 - my thoughts too, guess it must be the desire for something new/different. Although when I have my sensible head on (70% of the time) I consider exactly those points and think just keep it! Its almost embarassing actually taking it to be serviced, go to Glen and Becs at carnetics in melton as they worked at TSL when I had stuff done to the car. They've done almost everything on my car inc servicing since new. Each time I see them there's probably not even another 1K miles on it. Oil looks nearly new etc! I get requests for washing most of the neighbours cars these days - must be known as the resident obsessive compulsive behind closed doors!

ScoobyEvo - I've thought that too although like scooby222 says I'll basically lose more money getting rid. Plus if I did sell it I'd probably start hankering after something nice pretty quickly.

alloy - well said!
Old 03 April 2006, 11:40 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo2
I'm not sure what sort of power actually - anyone help out here? WRX with tubular unequal headers, full decat, fuel pump, 550cc injectors, panel filter, vf34 turbo, TSL chargecooler plus EcuTek by Richard Bulmer? Guessing low 300's?
I'd hesitate a guess of 330-340bhp with a decent map in it

get it on the rollers and you'll know for sure
Old 03 April 2006, 11:54 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Cheers alloy - I'd like to think it was that kind of figure. The only time the cars has been on the rollers was years ago at power engineering. I had my decat and first remap there - got 286bhp on a hot summers day. That was without any other mods.

Ultimately I'm not too fussed about knowing as I've read many debates about rolling road figures, algorithms, heat soak excuses etc etc to put any real value on a number. I know its got a decent collection of fairly well complemented performance parts mapped by a good guy and feels strong to drive.

My only concern is knowing how far the boundaries of reliability are being pushed. Despite fuelling and charge cooling being enhanced and good mapping - I always have a nagging in the back of my mind thinking is this car waiting to go pop if i drive it too hard? Internals are all standard btw. Although I do drive with mechanical sympathy and fast blasts are momentary and not sustained high speed/high rev.
Old 03 April 2006, 12:01 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I can't see any potential problems, What boost are you running? Tripple OG has a very similar set up without the charge cooler and made 333 with 305 and has had no problems despite driving it like he stole it . You are on the cusp for gearboxes though as he found out. I have read reports of 330hp with 300ftlbs being enough to shread a 5spd but have also heard of people running more power than that and having no issues. With only 8k on the motor it is still waiting to fully bed itself in, and your driving style mentioned is one aimed for longevity
Old 03 April 2006, 12:06 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you never get to use the scoob due to driving your company car and youa re not interested in driving after you finish work what benefit will you get from changing your scoob to another car? Are you suddenly expecting to change your habits and go out and drive after work or summat. It sounds like the scoob does not do it for you anymore hence why you can't be bothered to drive it, your choice is either keep it as a rather useless fashion accessorry or sell it and have some spare cash. As you have a company car that you use everyday, why even bother having a scoob for the weekend? do you wake up on saturday and decide I know I will go out in teh scoob and sit in a traffic jam or risk getting done speeding or having some plank race me or even worse have some dopy prat crash into it?????

Sorry but I can not see the attraction of saving a car to drive at the weekend, if you drive all week at work why an earth would you want to spend the weekend driving aswell?
Old 03 April 2006, 12:11 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

You wax and seal it several times a week?

How long does this take? Why not spend that time driving it?
Old 03 April 2006, 12:22 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

alloy - that's encouraging, I am always mindful in particular of making gear changes smooth 2nd to 3rd has always been prone to fouling - made that mistake once. My friend seems to drive like a nutter too which makes me think I'm being overly paranoid as his never misses a beat.

Wurzel - fair point - I've thought exactly the same several times! I should however point out that the car isn't soley for weekends. My fiance drives it to work on the days that I can't drop her off on my way out. Try to limit that though as she's a naff driver!
Old 03 April 2006, 12:26 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Paul - rarely several times a week - more so when the sun is shining. Like I said therapeutic for some reason. In addition, this time of year my neighbours open fire gets used a lot; that with a bit of rain covers the car in sooty marks that look like hundreds of bird craps. Just like to keep it looking nice I suppose. Other than my house it's my most expensive possession and I like to take care of my things so hence the cleaning.