Sponsored by:

what power would i need to ....

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2006, 07:58 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what power would i need to ....

Just a quickie (flame suit is on as well)
What sort of power would a jap import classic MY93 need to close up quickly on a clio 182?

Reason I ask, I know scoobs aren't the fastest thing on the road once going, but I was on a duel carriageway and a clio comes up behind me so I move over to let him through and thought hmmm he's not hanging around (he was probably doing well over 80).

Bit later I got sight of him again as he was being held up so I closed up on him to within about 150 yards etc. The car in front of him moved over and he set off again, this time I went with him, I was only closing the gap slightly.

Just wondering what sort of power would be needed as my car would obviously be pushing out around that amount of power.
Childish I know but it saves me going to a rolling road!!!
Old 01 April 2006, 09:50 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

(reply with flame suit on) a while back when i could be bothered to race all over the place( when could afford the fuel) i had a my04civic type r totally standard.i could take on clio 182's easly i think because it was light and no turbo just keep the rev up. i think with a scoob bigger heavyer car your going to need a little over standard bhp and a bit driver skill .
plus over the years your car might have lost abit of bhp.i had a import my93wrx i checked the engine out and it was well down on bhp. original engine just worn out being thrashed about.
sorry if that dosnt help mate
Old 01 April 2006, 09:58 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To gain on him quickly you'll need approx 300bhp. My UK MY95 is around that and I do 60-100 in 6 secs. The std Clio 182 is just over 10 secs.
Old 02 April 2006, 05:49 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
To gain on him quickly you'll need approx 300bhp. My UK MY95 is around that and I do 60-100 in 6 secs. The std Clio 182 is just over 10 secs.
I reckon I must be pushing out about 280 then, i had my missus in the car (only light) me (heavy hether) and 100kg of cement.

Mine is modded with a power fc full decat etc, but it hasnt got the td05 but some smaller turbo.

I reckon without the extra weight I would just edge up that little bit quicker
Old 02 April 2006, 09:41 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by bootsy
(reply with flame suit on) a while back when i could be bothered to race all over the place( when could afford the fuel) i had a my04civic type r totally standard.i could take on clio 182's easly i think because it was light and no turbo just keep the rev up. i think with a scoob bigger heavyer car your going to need a little over standard bhp and a bit driver skill .
Strange this as when I add my 172 (std albeit usual no spare/jack etc..) I could pull away from CTR's and only when well into 3 figs did they start to come back..! FWIW I knew two of the owners and they WERE trying and knew they had to rev the b@llocks off them to keep them in the Vtec zone. Others, as far as I'm concerned, were also trying hard.

Must of had an especially good one. It was one of my best motors. Mucho respecto..!
Old 02 April 2006, 10:53 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i must a admit it was normaly close and i had to really work the revs.or me with no brain when in car.
Old 02 April 2006, 12:37 PM
Red-ducati
Scooby Regular

What does it Matter
Old 02 April 2006, 12:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you cant take them in the mid range in 5th then somethings wrong
Theotherphil, that makes your car a 0-100 in 10 secs

Tony
Old 02 April 2006, 12:43 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

You can't, by the fact that you were closing in on a clio at all would indicate your car has well in excess of 1000hp.

'closing a little bit' is not really an accurate way of measuring power, any turbo classic should be gaining on a clio 182.
Old 02 April 2006, 12:52 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i can't believe you'd have problems with one,my mates got a 182 cup and its not very quick at all compared to my sti!

what you running 240? mmmmm i got over 60 bhp more than that,thats probably why lol
Old 02 April 2006, 08:26 PM
leerichosti
Scooby Regular

had a 182 sport or what ever up mi **** at 60 dropped into 4th bye bye 182 ive got an 02sti {de-catted}green filter
Old 02 April 2006, 10:20 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If you cant take them in the mid range in 5th then somethings wrong
Theotherphil, that makes your car a 0-100 in 10 secs

Tony
10 secs 0-100 sounds right. I was doing 7.2s 60-100 (measured with AP22) before I added the fmic, induction kit and Andy F upped the boost (albeit only from 1.25 - 1.35 bar). It pulls much more strongly now....won't be long before the gearbox is lunched at this rate
Old 02 April 2006, 10:25 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You would need the power of grayskull
Old 03 April 2006, 10:09 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peachy wrx
i can't believe you'd have problems with one,my mates got a 182 cup and its not very quick at all compared to my sti!

what you running 240? mmmmm i got over 60 bhp more than that,thats probably why lol
Dont know what Im running thats why I posted the thread, just to get an idea. I dont know the owner of the 182 so it may have been modded, all I know is he was giving it some. My car was fully loaded, anyone who knows me knows my boot is full of stereo equipment and heavy tools, also Im 17 stone, missus is 10 stone and I had 100 kg of cement in the car as well, so a lot heavier than a clio with one up.
Old 03 April 2006, 11:32 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My mate just bought a Civic Type R and from reading stories on here, I believed they where very quick cars, I had a little play with him yesterday and I pulled that far away from him, I had to slow down let him catch me up and then pull away from him again. Now I also had a little play with a Clio 182 a few weeks ago and to be honest it was a quick little car, I was pulling away from him very slightly, but not as much as I did with my mates Civic Type R.

Would love someone to start a thread in other Marques with the title Which is quicker Civic Type R or Clio 182.
Old 03 April 2006, 10:26 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
You would need the power of grayskull
ROFL

But in all seriousness, the Clio vs Civic thread has been done to death a thousand times on every Clio and Civic forum in existence. And the final outcome? Who gives a ****? They're roughly the same in terms of pace, some model years one was faster than the other and vice versa. If you like Clios, drive a Clio. If you like Civics, drive a Civic. Personally I'd take the Clio cos it's less money and has more stuff. The Civic looks like an MPV and the bodykit is shockingly stuck-on-looking but it's a bit different and sounds great when you wring it out.
Old 16 May 2006, 04:11 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
My mate just bought a Civic Type R and from reading stories on here, I believed they where very quick cars, I had a little play with him yesterday and I pulled that far away from him, I had to slow down let him catch me up and then pull away from him again. Now I also had a little play with a Clio 182 a few weeks ago and to be honest it was a quick little car, I was pulling away from him very slightly, but not as much as I did with my mates Civic Type R.

Would love someone to start a thread in other Marques with the title Which is quicker Civic Type R or Clio 182.
I have had a CTR for over two years now after having a scooby.

The clio CTR thread has been done to death but the normal out come is that the CTR will pull ahead of clios 182s and 172s. I have never had any clio gain an advantage on me and I have come across loads of them on the road and on the track. CTR always has the upper hand except at lower speeds when the civic can easily be caught off guard and out of Vtec.

Scoobyboy1 what impreza model you driving? It all depends on what model you have and if its std or not as to whether u will pull a lead on a CTR.

In std trim at lower speeds and up to 90mph there virtually nothing in it between the old UK Turbos or the newer WRXs (excluding STis). After 100 the CTR will have the advantage and will pull ahead easily. I have proved this quite a few times in runins with scoobies. The only time they have the upper hand is if its wet and if they are modded or are of STi variant.

Last edited by Derek M; 16 May 2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 16 May 2006, 11:49 PM
kazlo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

leave the missus at home, ditch the tools and the stereo, oh and the 100kg's of cement, the tools and dare i say a little diet may help , joking apart you probrably was carting around a good 230kg's + than the other guy that's about the difference between a tt and a scoob ( classic)and i think there is about 2 sec difference on a 1/4 mile , weight is everything and you had the same as another 4 blokes in yours,
Old 17 May 2006, 09:19 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320

Had a clio 182 for 18 months and now have a wrx type ra classic with around 290 bhp at the moment .I got to say this scooby is in a different class to my clio.However even my grand mother could drive my clio flat out around winding bends the steering is so responsive ,The grip is massive ,the car dosen,t budge.The clio is an easy car to drive fast around bends due to its excellent design you don't have to be very brave to push it.Now had my scoob for 6 weeks cost me a fortune already but wouldn't swap it for anything at the moment .I do feel i could push my clio harder in the corners due to it being brand new and such tight responsive steering.When i first got in my scoob the steering felt loose and un responsive.However takes time to work up bravery to push it and u realise it will handle like its on rails.Best car i driven by far.Scoobys are the best.Sorry got a bit carried away lol.
Old 17 May 2006, 09:53 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

stop being tight - go to the rolling road