Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

can topics be left here a little longer please?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2001, 07:21 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

sometimes topics are started in the general section because thats where the majority of people hang out. sometimes you need maximum publicity, sometimes giving short notice, say about a meet thats coming up shortly.
i thought about posting this in the 'bugs' section, but it isnt a bug really is it?

how about leaving topics for say a couple of days, then when everyones probably seen it, then move it to the appropriate forum?

obviously, i'm on about legitimate topics, not the 'scoobys are crap' type threads.

just a thought, and bound for the bugs forum no doubt
Old 21 October 2001, 07:41 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Spudgun,
I can see where your coming from.

But..........

The structure of the BBS is there in such a way, so people can find what they want quickly. If we condone posts to be made in here and then moved, it causes work for the moderators and confusion for the users.

It may seem that this forum has been hit hard of late, but this has been done to try and "Re-educate" the members (even though nothing has been moved, that was legit). As you may appreciate, a nice indexed filing cabinet is easier to find information than a folder with everything stuck in.

Once people are in the habit of using each forum as it is intended, I think the issue will disappear.

Regards,
Shaun

Old 21 October 2001, 10:11 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with shaun here...

In the past I have always been very keen to allow maximum flexibility in where things are posted, but the community and the traffic are just too big now, so we really need to think more carefully about where things are posted.

If there is a really legitimate reason for something being in general, then fair enough.. but we are trialing being a little more pro-active for a while as the net result will be a more organised and pleasurable experience for all.

You may be surprised to know that the general forum only accounts for around 30% of the traffic on the board, so posting your message in the appropriate forum is not a negative thing. You are in-fact more likely to see quality responses in the correct forum than in general. You just may not get as many "conversational" replies.

Let's all give this a go, as I really beleive it will benefit us all when we get used to it.

Best regards

webmaster
Old 21 October 2001, 10:45 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Of course moving the topic has no effect on the number of threads in general, which is the main problem. I think it would be better to remove the thread title from the threads list when it is moved to another forum. Perhaps put a single line on the bottom of the page saying "Threads from this page have been moved to: Drivetrain, Muppet Show, Suspension" (or whatever) to save space and stop the 'where has my thread gone?' posts?

On that note, can we move this thread to 'bug list'?
Old 21 October 2001, 11:01 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Carl

The idea is that we will all become more used to posting things in the correct forums, so moving threads will not be as necessary as time goes on.

Removing the title altogether makes it more likely that there will be "where did my thread go" topics started

I really think this will work if we all give it a go, and I think it is very worth while.

All the best

Simon
Old 21 October 2001, 11:21 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Hi

Leaving the moved thread title also serves to educate the rest of us that action is taken by the moderators where necessary.

I must admit, while I spend more time in the general forum than any other, I am now far more likely to post, say a brakes thread, in the appropriate forum rather than have it moved from here.

Rich
Old 21 October 2001, 11:23 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your support Rich..

I too am more considerate now when posting.. I have been a bad culprit of abusing the general forum in the past.

All the best

Simon