Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dials and guages and gadgets....

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2006, 08:45 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dials and guages and gadgets....

I'm thinking of going for an APEXI setup on my UK MY98.

I don't have any after market bolt on dials, guages, knocklink etc etc.

It is unlikely I will be tracking my car and it will rarley manage a sustained high speed run..

So, with a decent map and a well serviced car is all that paraphernalia really necessary?

pslewis (or whatever you call yourself now) don't bother posting on this thread. We already know what you think to k0cklinks etc.

Cheers

Molds
Old 30 March 2006, 08:53 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

um, depends, if you see something wrong and stop engine before it goes bang you could argue yes, if your engine never goes bang then you caould argue no. got full set of defis in mine and glad i had them put in. Personal choice thing
Old 30 March 2006, 08:56 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, people say that but if I see det ocurring for example as I blat down the private road then am I just going to suddenly lift off regardless of road conditions/situation?

Just being devils advocate here but there cant be that many people who have actually saved their engine by having all these bells and whistles.

Also if the map is done within a sensible safety margin for raod use then surely I shouldnt be any worse off than normal?
Old 30 March 2006, 09:00 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

normally det happens under heavy load (correct me if i'm wrong here people) unless somethig major wrong. easy off and pull it over or dump the clutch and just coast to a stop, but you have to take into acount conditions situation etc every time you drive or do soemthing when your driving, so wouldn't just snap off throttle without checking ok to do so first.

det shouldn't happen unless somethings wrong, so map should be fine if done properly, dodgy fuel ecu problems, sensor problems can all result in det for one reason or another.
Old 30 March 2006, 09:13 AM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

You mention going for an Apexi set up, then mention a remap, are you going with the power FC? If so then the FC commander has a display that can show you most parameters, so, you dont need most of the gauges.
Just my opinion.

Old 30 March 2006, 10:05 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

You a right BonzWRX. I forgot that the APEXI FC is usually setup to use the CEL as a Knocklink!

I think what I am getting at really is how _actually_ necessary all the other guages are as I have only budgeted for APEXI/mmapping and fuel pump upgrade.

If I had a bigger budget I am sure I would go for all the other gubbins (for the fun and interest elemnt) but I don't right now and am feeling reasonably confident that I dont have to have them

I guess I am looking for some conforting from the gurus that I am not being silly and that in my usage scenario I can go merrily about my business withou being paranoid of coming come on an AA truck!