ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching between power and economy ??

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2006, 09:40 PM
mightyscoob
Scooby Regular

Location: Been roller coasting for a long time and can't get off.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching between power and economy ??

Its most likely been asked before,

Can the ECU on our Scoobies be programmed to be switched between the Standard power settings and an Economy setting. Something like you see on Auto gearbox cars (sport mode/economy mode).

Just a thought
Old 29 March 2006, 09:43 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine reckons he has a piggyback ECU that's switchable between that and the original.

Dunno if it's right.
Old 29 March 2006, 10:03 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run an Apexi Power FC ecu. I can switch to different boost setting from the commander handset. From 0.7bar (wastgate pressure) to the 1.35bar that the ecu is mapped for.
Old 30 March 2006, 07:33 PM
mightyscoob
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies.

But do they improve the fuel economy.
Such as when you are cruising on the motorway, where you are not using any boost.
Old 30 March 2006, 07:35 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Apparently you can do this with ecutek maps.

If you have the Ecutek dash monitor which is made by PSI3 it has user adjustable bits but also allows map switching if your ecu is compatible. I believe most new age ones are.

Don't know if the ecutek monitor has extra bits to allow this that the PSI3 version doesn't have.

This really appealed to me as I have to do miles for work in mine aswell. A low boost one for commuting and sitting in traffic would be handy.

Trouble is I don't know if it is as easy as ecutek make out as every mapper I've asked has pulled a face and said it isn't worth it and they give the impression that they don't want to get involved.

Anyone had this done or know more about it?
I'd happily pay for another map if i could get this done. That way I wouldn't start wondering if my bigger power mods that are on the way are going to sting a bit too much lol.
Old 30 March 2006, 07:37 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the ECU but I think without exception all Scoobies have an economy button already installed.

The one I'm thinking about is manually activated by the right foot.

On boost = impending garage visit.
Off boost = not so impending garage visit

It's amazing the difference a few miles an hour decrease in speed on the motorway can make.

Rich

Old 30 March 2006, 07:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Normaly aspirated fuel economy is ****e too Im afraid, so its a moot point.

Simon
Old 30 March 2006, 08:02 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Spec C Ecu and the twin maps. I can change it using my PSI3, or by manuipulation of the rear demister swuch and throttle (no really, that's how the Spec C's do it).

However, all it changes is the boost map and rev limits. The actual ignition map is unchanged - I think!

On top of the two maps I can change all the parameters from the 'set' maps using the PSi3 to adjust boost, ignition, cycle duty etc, up/down from the start zero settings. I can then change them all back to the 0 start point. Or just ECU rest.
Old 30 March 2006, 08:33 PM
mightyscoob
Scooby Regular

I agree with Simon about fuel econ,

I find I use less fuel cruising at 85/90mph just on the point of boost than at 60/70mph way below boost.

But again do these remaps on which ever ECU it is, improve economy. And as TUTS says, if anyone has done it or who knows anyone that has, I'd do mine.
Old 30 March 2006, 11:40 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

I know the right foot method but when cruising you are just on boost, well you are in mine as it boosts early(wrx). So even the tiniest change in pedal position to keep position in traffic sends my boost gauge flying up. If I could have a switcheable map with less boost then hopefully my economy might improve when cruising. The other option is a bigger turbo so at 80/90 I won't be boosting. (or is that a weak excuse to upgrade?)
Old 31 March 2006, 07:42 AM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Is it not possible to run 2 ECU's side by side (one standard & one re-mapped) with a selector button to switch between the 2?
Old 31 March 2006, 09:25 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I can get over 500kms out of a tank of petrol in my scoob if I stick to around 140kmh so driving sensibly does have its benefit occasionally.
Old 31 March 2006, 11:04 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I have an ecutek switchable map on my 03 WRX. You switch it by giving 100% throttle and pressing the heated rear demister to 'on' at the same time.

I tried a few long commutes (110 miles on the M25) on low boost to see the difference but there is very little if any between the fuel consumption at low or high boost... both worked out at about 31mpg.
Old 31 March 2006, 11:58 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

31?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

How the chuff did you get that? I take it that was a true 56mph job with no aircon or lights and a slight downhill........

Actually I got close on a trip from gateshead with a broken windscreen so was at 50-60 all the way to lancs.

Under normal driving there is no way I could get near that.

Normal means everyone else normal, not normal for a scooby driver on a blast! i.e. normal accel, braking and righthand lane speeds.
Old 31 March 2006, 12:13 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

I know there are versions (or were) of the GEM's ECU that can run mor than 1 map, where I suppose you could try and make an economy map.

The person I know who ran this, had 2 maps, 1 for Optimax, and 1 for 95RON supermarket crap, so that if he got caught out in the middle of nowhere with little refil possibilities, he could chuck whatever he could find in it and switch the map.
Old 31 March 2006, 10:42 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

That is another reason, hadn't thought of that. Sometimes I have to do that when I'm in the middle of nowhere and it would mean my good map wouldn't retard itself lots. I could run on the economy map until I've run a tank of the good stuff through it. You would be surprise at the number of small garages that still don't have sul.
Old 01 April 2006, 08:34 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tuts
31?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

How the chuff did you get that? I take it that was a true 56mph job with no aircon or lights and a slight downhill........

No that was at decent speeds, 80-90 when the M25 allowed it, aircon on. Using Optimax certainly helps though and if you keep the revs under 3500 the turbo doesn't kick in.

I generally get about 300 miles to a tank, refilling before the light comes on but with my previous scoob, a '99 Turbo, I could only get about 250.
Old 02 April 2006, 12:59 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

What turbo have you got fitted Gary? Mine is standard so comes in at 2500.
I figured maybe after I change my turbo I might actually get better economy at cruising speeds because of the lack of boost.
Old 02 April 2006, 01:01 PM
Phil Herrup
Scooby Regular

I've also got the twin map ecutek on a WRX 03. Steady 2,500 RPM = 65MPH = (wait for it) 38 MPG!!!!. This has been done twice with both Optimax and Tesco 99. Both times on 400 mile motorway runs. Makes no difference to MPG whether I'm on low or standard (1.25 bar) boost. Could be I just boot it more at on low boost to compensate .
Old 02 April 2006, 01:22 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

It's nothing to do with boost maps or the rest of it, if you hold the revs below the boost threshhold you'll get way better economy. on a uk turbo this is difficult as the turbo is so small it spools up easily.

With my RB5 and a tdo5 I can get 400 miles to the tank at a constant 70 mph, max 280-290 with the TD04.
Old 02 April 2006, 08:47 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Say if you had modified the car, Manifold, uppipe, exhaust, filter, intercooler mods. And had it mapped to those mods. Could you not get the mapper to produce another map where it held off the boost until higher up the rev range. So that the vehicle stayed off boost for longer.

Jase
Old 02 April 2006, 10:23 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tuts
What turbo have you got fitted Gary? Mine is standard so comes in at 2500.
I figured maybe after I change my turbo I might actually get better economy at cruising speeds because of the lack of boost.
Standard turbo. 2500 sounds a bit low to me.. perhaps it provides boost when accellerating at that rpm but when cruising it doesn't come in to about 3500.
Old 03 April 2006, 03:02 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

When I say standard I mean standard turbo (TD04 on a MY03 wrx?). But it has a prodrive sports cat and decat pipes and a remap.

My boost gauge shows me when it is boosting. Boost comes in at 2500 but also bear in mind that at outside lane speeds you are pulling more than 2500. 3000 or higher is more like it. With this setup you are well within the boost zone.

You would be surprised at how fast that needle goes up and down when you are going with the flow of traffic. Just moving your foot a fraction sends the needle right up. Even when not booting it you are constantly moving the pedal to maintain position.

I was just thinking, as Barmyclown said, that with a map that doesnt boost as much or only high up the rev range it might be more fuel efficient. If I combined a dual map with my soon to be bought bigger turbo that only spools higher up I might get better mpg, as pointed out by RB5_245.

Also less mpg when booting it on the high boost map.

Good thread started by Mightyscoob btw. Good useful info as well guys, thanks.

Normally all you get on threads like this is knobbers saying "if you worry about mpg you shouldn't drive a scoob".

Seems more people than I thought have to use the car for everyday stuff as well as having fun.
Old 03 April 2006, 05:05 AM
go1d1e
Scooby Newbie

Do you all have the TurboXS UTEC back over that side of the pond?

I installed mine a few months back with a remote switch. I can switch between 5 predetermined maps OR back to stock at the push of a button on the console. The idea being I will have a couple performance maps (Winter/Summer) and then a ecno mode..

Nothing is better than just laying off the right foot though..
Old 03 April 2006, 06:42 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

OK but there is no way with all the mapping in the world to force the wastegate open and stop it building boost........

different maps for economy and power on a cruise are a pipe dream, it should be running lambda1 (unless you want to go open loop and lean) and then just best spark, little else you can do, although a free flowing exhaust might help by .5% (at such low flows the stock one isn't going to be restrictive!) If you go on boost using your right foot, it will give the power you demand!

Simon