Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

DEFI-Owners, I need some installation help!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2001, 11:50 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry for posting in 'General Questions' but I need some quick answers. After a superfast order/ deliver-service from New Age Motorsport (less than 18 hours shipment from UK to Switzerland)!!! My set incl.: Turbo, Oil Temp, Oil Press, Adapter plug for Oil Temp and the Gauge Hood replacing the clovebox. Ok, here we go with my little questinnaire (additionally to Chiark's excellence site!)

1. My Oil press gauge already shows 1 kgf/cm3, is it OK? (will it adjust itself after connecting?)
2. Will there be Oil leaking while attaching the Oil Temp and Press-Sensors? Engine oil needed?
3. Can I connect the temp sensor to the plug above no.3 cylinder (with plug-main-gallery) and ignore the sump connection in Chiarks guide?)
4. Where did you fit the plastic turbo sensor? (to an already existing screw/bolt?)
5. Teflon Tape = hairy stuff with paste that you wind around screws like plumbers do?? (my lack of english, sorry)
6. Did you make a hole in the rubber grommet for the cables going through the firewall or just take the whole rubber away (I don't want water in my car!)
7. WHERE TO PLACE THE DEFI CONTROL UNIT???
8. Do the gauges hold in the triple hood from New Age Motorsport itself (pretty thight already) or did you couterfix them from inside the hood? (with what??)
9. How did you fix the 'wave-style' NAM gauge hood? Drill holes and screw, use double sided adhesive tape or with glue?
10. Do I have to take the whole dashboard apart or only the glovebox incl. vents and the way to the foglight switch and powersupply (driverside).
11. Did you use any fuse for wiring the Defi system?
OK, that's it for now!!
Thanks for any replies and wish me luck for ny mission!!
Cheers
Danny
PS: Any emergency phone no. I could call in case I am stuck??
Old 20 October 2001, 06:39 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Danny,

You've got mail - hope it helps.

Matt
Old 20 October 2001, 07:58 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

You can call me if yer get stuck.

07779 330 979
Old 21 October 2001, 02:01 AM
Chris Clayton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Daniel,

Just in case you need any more answers.........

1. My Oil press gauge already shows 1 kgf/cm3, is it OK? (will it adjust itself after connecting?)

Yes - the gauges are stepper motor drive and will re-set to zero
as soon as you connect them all up.

2. Will there be Oil leaking while attaching the Oil Temp and Press-Sensors? Engine oil needed?

No - with the engine off no oil leaks out at all.

3. Can I connect the temp sensor to the plug above no.3 cylinder (with plug-main-gallery) and ignore the sump connection in Chiarks guide?)
Yes - If you put the adaptor in place of the 8mm allen
key blanking plug you dont need the sump plug fitting.

4. Where did you fit the plastic turbo sensor? (to an already existing screw/bolt?)
I mounted mine on a existing bolt between the power steering
reservior and the inlet manifold.

5. Teflon Tape = hairy stuff with paste that you wind around screws like plumbers do?? (my lack of english, sorry)
PTFE tape - white thin tape that plumbers use - not the hairy
stuff - the adaptor comes with white sealant already on it, you
just need to wrap a few turns round the threads on the sensors.

6. Did you make a hole in the rubber grommet for the cables going through the firewall or just take the whole rubber away (I don't want water in my car!)
Tape all the wires together and make a hole in the centre of the
grommet and push them through or put a thin wire through first
and then pull the defi cables through.

7. WHERE TO PLACE THE DEFI CONTROL UNIT???

If you keep all the wiring routes fairly tight you can put the
defi controller in the centre console hole (at the back between
the two front seats).some people have put them in the glove box.

8. Do the gauges hold in the triple hood from New Age Motorsport itself (pretty thight already) or did you couterfix them from inside the hood? (with what??)
I left mine as a tight fit (had to sand/file the holes and lower
pod surround a bit to make them fit just right.

9. How did you fix the 'wave-style' NAM gauge hood? Drill holes and screw, use double sided adhesive tape or with glue?
Use silicon sealant (clear) I didn't put any along the front
edge of mine just in case it blobbed out. Put a 6mm strip along
3 sides and then push the pod on and hold for an hour with
masking/insulating tape.

10. Do I have to take the whole dashboard apart or only the glovebox incl. vents and the way to the foglight switch and powersupply (driverside).
Take the radio out and all the wiring can be take from the
radio harness.

11. Did you use any fuse for wiring the Defi system?
OK, that's it for now!!
You can put a fuse in if you want - i took mine from the
radio supply so i am relying on that.

email me again if you want to.

Cheers

Chris
Old 21 October 2001, 04:22 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Wow, I just came back from my personel Defi celebration party!!
Thanks alot for all the replies!
Matt, could you please forward your mail to: alex.saredi@bluewin.ch since the other address is my business one? Thanks!
Chris, you are a star!! Your hints are again very helpful! So far I did all the sensors in the engine. I almost killed myself with the Oil Temp.-sensor!!! I had to take off the whole intercooler to be able to reach the well hidden allen plug otherwise I wouldn't have any chance to get to it (I almost gave up!). I couldn't attach the Turbo sensor to any existing bolt/screw to place it horizontally (diffrence to UK model, I suppose) there was just no way to attach the sensor, so I had to use an extension metal plate which is strong enough and the turbo rubber pipe is long enough to attach it. Everything worked out very well so far and I am even a little bit proud of myself (see party above).
Hopefully I will be ok with the electrical wiring tomorrow (today).
Thanks again, I might need your help again.
Cheers and good night!!
(Sleepy) Danny
Old 21 October 2001, 07:50 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Question

OK, so far I could do all the wiring in the enging compartment and pulled the cable through the firewall to the driverside (UK cars). I am planning to put the Defi control-unit in the small storage box with the lit, behind the handbrake, between the two front seats. I now have some more questions to do this:
1. Is it possible to get the power from the electrical side mirror adjuster and use it for the control unit power, except for the gauge light (extension to the fog light or radio)?
2. If not, do I have to get extension cables to be able to reach the radio unit to get power from there? (Defi power cable seems pretty short!!)
3. It looks like I need to drill a hole from the handbrake side into the small storage box to pull the cables through, is this correct??
Thanks alot for your help.
Cheers
Danny
Old 21 October 2001, 10:34 PM
Chris Clayton
Scooby Regular

OK, so far I could do all the wiring in the enging compartment and pulled the cable through the firewall to the driverside (UK cars). I am planning to put the Defi control-unit in the small storage box with the lit, behind the handbrake, between the two front seats. I now have some more questions to do this:

1. Is it possible to get the power from the electrical side mirror adjuster and use it for the control unit power, except for the gauge light (extension to the fog light or radio)?
Not sure but I dont think so - i looked at the connector to the
wing mirror controls and i couldnt find a permanent 12 volt
supply (one that is there all the time even with the ignition off).

2. If not, do I have to get extension cables to be able to reach the radio unit to get power from there? (Defi power cable seems pretty short!!)
Yes - I had to extend my power supply/illumination/ignition wires
to the radio harness usng some wire of the same gauge/thickness,
soldered and taped.

3. It looks like I need to drill a hole from the handbrake side into the small storage box to pull the cables through, is this correct??
Yep - if you drill in the bottom front corner - you have to drill
a lot bigger hole than you think to get the connectors through!!
I ended up drilling 2 10mm holes side by side.

Cheers
Chris
Old 21 October 2001, 11:46 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris,
Thanks a lot again!! It's really nice of you for helping me out that much! I took a day off tomorrow to finish this job (hopefully). I never thought it would take me so long, but I want to do it perfekt and in one go.
1. Extension wires: I will get some tomorrow in the same size and will ask the electrician to solder them maybe right there in the store! (I don't have a soldering machine!) For the connection to the radio wires I will use the supplied solderless plugs if possible.
2. Radio ignition wire connection: When I turn the car key, the radio starts playing with the first key klick and all the other power goes on at the second klick, the third will start the engine. On which klick do your defis get power? (does it matter?)
3. The ISO plug of my radio (Kenwood Black Mask) has a dimmer wire. If the car headlights are turned on, the radio display dims. Do you think this could be used to illuminate the gauges?
Hopefully this is my last questionnaire!
OK, over and out!
Cheers
Danny