Sponsored by:

Spend my money

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2006, 01:22 PM
Lesliz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spend my money

Had my WRX 05 PPP for a few months, I enjoy the car and prefer the ride over the STI but I feel there is more power to be had out of the car.

If you had a similar set up what would you do to the car for around £1k. Can be performance (speed more than anything as I'm happy with the ride, i.e. I don't want a car with an ultra hard ride) or appearance. I will consider the fact that further mods will invalid my warranty please make it clear if the mod you propose does this.

Spend away.
Old 22 March 2006, 01:45 PM
VJ_STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lesliz
Had my WRX 05 PPP for a few months, I enjoy the car and prefer the ride over the STI but I feel there is more power to be had out of the car.

If you had a similar set up what would you do to the car for around £1k. Can be performance (speed more than anything as I'm happy with the ride, i.e. I don't want a car with an ultra hard ride) or appearance. I will consider the fact that further mods will invalid my warranty please make it clear if the mod you propose does this.

Spend away.
Lesliz

Personally I would go for the suspension upgrades as you already have the PPP helping to make better use of the power you already have, so :-

Prodrive springs
DL
rear ARB
ALK
Geometry

As for the warranty I would guess that it would only be these parts and possibly associated damage from these that would not be covered by your warranty, so your engine should be ok.

You might also like to take a trip over to your local scooby site, link below

http://www.hampshiresubaru.co.uk/
Old 22 March 2006, 01:56 PM
Lesliz
Scooby Newbie

how about an upgrade to the panel filter, is that worth a try as well?
Old 22 March 2006, 02:00 PM
VJ_STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lesliz
how about an upgrade to the panel filter, is that worth a try as well?
Sorry, Yep.
First thing I did to mine, noticed a difference albeit small.
Old 22 March 2006, 02:19 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Two options
Go for the handling upgrade as above - will make a big difference in being able to use the available power and more enjoyment at a small sacrifice in ride. Personally though I'd go for 18" wheels if you dont already have them and a set of prodrive springs which will give you most of the benefits plus look a whole lot better. Warranty Friendly.

or

2nd hand Sti PPP sports cat, filter and Tek 3 remap - should get you to around a true 280'ish bhp, any more than that and you'll need a new turbo. Kiss goodbye to the warranty tho..
Old 23 March 2006, 01:31 PM
Lesliz
Scooby Newbie

I like the sound of Prodrive springs and 18" alloys.

2 questions.

-would the local dealer**** fit the springs and if so how much will it cost?

-What alloys look best on a wr blue wrx 05 model if money is no option?
Old 23 March 2006, 05:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with comments on suspension, although I'd recommend going for the AST coilovers. These will not give a harsh ride unless you choose to wind them up on the damping adjustment. I have them on my 03 WRX PPP and they are awesome. I simply don't need any more power as I have enough control to fully exploit what's there, as many people who've followed or ridden in my car will testify. I'd also fit the Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear ARB and solid links. This is really a must, whether you get just springs or go for the coilovers. The front reaps less dividends but is worth doing if you have the cash, and the ALK fitted with a good geometry set-up would finish it off nicely.

As for alloys, you can either choose ones you like, or ones that will enhance handling and performance. The lighter a wheel is, the more efficiently the suspension can control it as it bounces along the road. I noticed a huge handling improvement on my old Corrado when I fitted 17" OZ Superlegerra as they were significantly lighter than the 15's they replaced. The lower profile due to the size increase also made it much more stable in corners, although the ride suffered.

If you're fitting a free flowing panel filter, consider JR Racing, Green and K&N. You may also want to remove the ram-air scoop and intake resonator, and then seal the airbox to the wing ensuring plentiful, clean, cool air instead of warm, mucky air from the engine bay is induced.
Old 23 March 2006, 06:14 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Yes your dealer can supply and fit the springs - funny enough price seems to vary hugely across dealers but I'd say around £400 to £500 for springs, fitting and 4 wheel alignement which you will need.

Which wheels though is very much a personal choice with regard to what looks best - as corradoboy says, stronger and lighter is good - prodrive do some nice wheels and the PFF7 is popular but pretty expensive although I notice there's a set for sale from revolution in the trader forum at the moment..

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=501733

They also do a wide selection of other styles and replicas..
Old 23 March 2006, 09:44 PM
Lesliz
Scooby Newbie

great advice thanks guys.