Sponsored by:

very confused. need help...

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2006, 06:27 PM
Zuby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy very confused. need help...

As all scooby owners do im sure when the warranty expires... the mods begin .

Ive got an 03 sti ppp, which i am very happy with , performance wise.

What i wanna do is put on an APS cold feed induction kit, HKS dump valve (i know some may think its chavy but i like it ) and finnaly get a bit more grunt from the exhaust side of things.

I've already been informed that it'll need a remap with the cold air filter.... so thats induction kit, dump valve, and maybe back box..... oh plus the remap.

I was looking at the hayward and scott angled jap exhaust but was advised against it. I dont wanna upset any neighbours, and wanna keep it track legal.

Help guys. What would you advise i do????

Zuby
Old 21 March 2006, 08:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive BB is very good, so you will get better gains by replacing other bits of the exhaust. A full decat, or partial with just a high flow sports cat in the DP allied with a bespoke map will get you much more than a BB. The DV is a waste of time and money. Unless the OE Subaru item is leaking due to any increase in boost then you will gain no power whatsoever from it, and there is a small chance you may cause damage to your engine, and a strong chance that it may run badly thereafter. If you remove the ram-air scoop and intake resonator and fit a free flowing panel filter into the standard air-box you will be able to hear the spool-up, induction and DV without spending silly money or risking damage. This mod supplies you car with plentiful, clean, cool air from within the O/S wing. It is recommended that you also seal the aperture between the air-box and wing with duct tape or similar. This mod also negates the need for an induction kit, which unless you intend taking the mods much further, into the realms of bigger turbo's and uprated injectors, will not give any significant power increase. Subaru MAF sensors are also very sensitive to vibration, and I/K's have been known to destroy them, which if un-noticed can be catastrophic for an engine. My own personal opinion is that Scoobs have plenty of power in reserve which cannot be fully exploited with the standard suspension and chassis components, so before going for huge power mods I would always recommend upgrades in this area. My WRX PPP may only have a humble 265bhp, but it is more than a match for most STi's on the road in real world driving conditions. I may not do well on the dragstrip, but as I haven't and will probably never do that ('cos I think it's boring) then my car is perfectly adequate, as yours could be if mod'd well.

HTH, IMHO and all that
Old 22 March 2006, 03:16 PM
Zuby
Scooby Regular

[quote=corradoboy]The Prodrive BB is very good, so you will get better gains by replacing other bits of the exhaust. A full decat, or partial with just a high flow sports cat in the DP allied with a bespoke map will get you much more than a BB.

Thanks for the advise corradoboy. Doesn't the ppp include a replaced cat with a high flow sports cat? ...maybe food for thought ...

i didn't really wanna decat the car, ill only get a headache when its time for an MOT.

zuby
Old 23 March 2006, 01:36 PM
Zuby
Scooby Regular

come on guys. surely there are others in my boat too.

some sort of further advise would be most appreciated...
Old 23 March 2006, 02:33 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Corradoboy, spend your money on suspension and some fast road driving lessons.

I used this guy http://www.drivetrain.uk.com/testimon.htm
Old 23 March 2006, 05:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, forgot to mention driver training. Done a few sessions with a rally driver (Howard Patterson) and been out with a police class 1 for a 4 hour intensive. Both much more beneficial than £2k of mods.
Old 23 March 2006, 05:53 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Yep agree with what is being said here - first thing is driver training and plenty of miles to get used to your new skills and new found abilities of your car...

Then buy a Spec C before starting to mod...

If it has to be mods then (like you I have an 03 shape STi and I would Mod in this order: -

Powerstation Suspension Upgade (T20/25) - AST's, antilift etc, because with your new driver skills you will be able to set the car up just as you want it. Worth way more in time over distance than headline BHP figures...unless its all about straight lines for you of course.

Braided Hoses, Pagid Pads and grooved front discs - massive improvement in brake pedal feel, total lack of fade and a total transformation in stopping power. You might think the grooved discs are overkill but I managed to warp the standard discs with the Pagid pads fitted so its a good upgrade to do.

Then mods - well there is a massive write up on here that shows a simple panel filter gives good gains...but its your cash

Exhaust - the Milltek 3" with sports cat makes a nice noise (way better that he PPP system), with the sports cat its legal and you get some of the gain of a decat anyway. I know a few people with 3"APS systems and they are louder.

Remap - I have ecutek but there are many good alternatives. It seems you can expect to get about 325-330bhp, 400nm torque with a remap, exhaust, sports cat and filter. From Shaun's write up I think you will see you don't get much if any extra advantage from the air induction type kits.

DV - your choice...

Much of the power gain is subjective and psychological though - on real roads there is very little between a PPP car and a remap/filter/zaust upgrade. On the other hand the suspension mods make a massive difference and are by far the best mod available for the money in my opinion.

So if I was spending my cash again I would spend the money on driver training, suspension and brakes, get plenty of miles of fun under my belt on great roads and track and only add the power engine stuff if I really felt the need...oh and I would have started with a Spec C in the first place - still we all learn don't we!