Sponsored by:

Advice on selling

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2006, 04:56 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on selling

I've got a 5 year old (MY01) WRX that's pretty well modified, both for performance and looks. I need to sell it privately and desperately want to avoid unsolicited calls and/or joyriders. Any advice would be welcome.
Old 21 March 2006, 05:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The unsolicited calls are unavoidable mate. I had one yesterday.

Caller, "Hello, Im from Motor Search UK"
Me, "No you haven't got six buyers wanting my car and please remove my details from your database" click, brrrrrrrrrr.

As for the joyriders, I haven't had any in 6 months for my car. Only one potential buyer too and he lost his job before completing the deal You may get lucky and stumble upon someone who wants just what your car is, but in my experience be prepared for a long wait. My car is in mint condition, mechanically and cosmetically, with some very well respected mods but no-one is interested in buying it Makes me unsure as to whether I'll have another Scoob, but then I drive it and know I will
Old 21 March 2006, 06:55 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

possibly try the piston heads website, although the last time i checked, there was over 100 cars on there, worth a shot if its a bit of a looker mate, its free

john
Old 21 March 2006, 08:03 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Just paid 8k for an RB5 without much of a test drive. However when i sold my cossie had well over 10 people want taking out in it for a decent run before it sold..
Old 21 March 2006, 08:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Mine's been on Pistonheads all the while too. In the 'Trader twice, and barely an inquisitive email It's frustrating, and hard to figure out when you have a car that you feel is outstanding but no-one even wants to look at it. Admiring looks everywhere I go, complimentary comments at meets and events, positive feedback on here, but no buyers to be found. Good luck to the original poster, I hope you get a better response than I've had I've said it before, but it's easier selling a week old turd than a Scooby
Old 21 March 2006, 08:23 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy, the answer is simple. You must be asking too much money for it. At the right price, anything will sell.
Old 21 March 2006, 08:26 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

im in the same boat . cars for sale but only one person came to look in 2 weeks . clean car aswell.

had about a thousand calls from motor search , a1 cars ect . we have 9 people in your area with the right money looking for a car just like yours! yeah WHY DONT THEY FOOKING RING ME THEN U ****!

i haTE SELLING CARS
Old 21 March 2006, 08:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Checked the average price in the 'Trader before deciding where to pitch mine and aimed squarely for the middle. Sat amongst cars of similar age and mileage, but not with nearly £3k of well researched mods. I fully realise that mods are usually worthless when it comes to selling, which is why I haven't priced it towards the top of the demographic (if that's the right word ). If I don't get anywhere this time then I will hang onto it 'til after the trackday and a trip to Devon and then strip the mods off and sell it as a standard car for £1.5k less, and then sell the mods for £1.5k on here. A crying shame given the time, effort and expense (not that I paid anything like what the mods should have cost ) and the fact that the buyer will more than likely go straight out and mod it the same (if he has any sense) or spoil it with sh!te like dump valves, Lexus lights and graphics Strange, everybody wants to buy standard, and nearly everybody wants to mod, yet no-one seems to want a well mod'd car
Old 21 March 2006, 08:41 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Well I think that far fewer owners modify than you would imagine. And people are rightly wary of modifications. Any departure from the manufacturer's spec rings alarm bells for most buyers, because what is your guarantee as a purchaser, that the mods ARE well-researched, well-executed and above all, declared in their entirity? The worry and effort you'd have to put into ensuring that the modified vehicle you're buying isn't tuned within a gnat's knacker of collapse would be very off-putting to me. Plus, buying a modified vehicle doesn't say to me that this car has been looked after and driven sympathetically, no matter WHAT the owner says. It says that it might well have been utterly thrashed.

Take off the mods, sell them separately and put it down to experience.

Old 21 March 2006, 08:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The mechanicals of my car are completely standard, apart from the PPP which is approved and recognised. All my mods are to the suspension, chassis and brakes, and a very small bit of cosmetic.

Of the very many owners I have met personally, there is only you and Chris (harryboy) who have/had standard cars. Although I suppose most of the people I have met with Scoobs I have met through this BBS and on here mods are commonplace. Obviously there are many whom don't frequent internet enthusiast sites who aren't interested in modding their car, but the Scoob tends to be owned by people who are into such things.

As I said, when I get near the time when I really need it to sell then I will consider stripping it back to crapness. Until then she stays wonderful and I enjoy every last mile
Old 22 March 2006, 01:32 PM
WRBlue
Scooby Regular

I'm with carradoboy that there is a high proportion of modified cars out there but I also understand the reluctance to buy one.

Sounds like I'm in for a nightmare trying to get rid of the car.
Old 22 March 2006, 01:50 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlue
I'm with carradoboy that there is a high proportion of modified cars out there but I also understand the reluctance to buy one.

Sounds like I'm in for a nightmare trying to get rid of the car.
Why don't you take it down to subaru and see what they offer you. I know it wouldn't be as much as a private sale but you may never sell it. Subaru offered me £8500 for a silver bugeye on an 02 plate with 33000 miles.
Old 22 March 2006, 03:38 PM
UKScoobGS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Back to basic

I know how you feel corradoboy, i tried to sell my 2004 wrx with 15K miles for £13000 and no bites.

Stripped it back to basic, 18" alloys, sti scoop, spoiler, exhaust, filter etc all sitting in the garage .

Sold for £11250 last week in the trader and will be selling mods to make up the difference.

People just don't like modified cars when buying new or newish.

The only thing i kept on was the prodrive springs, my advice back to basic and lower your price if you want to sell.

Gordy.
Old 22 March 2006, 04:40 PM
DeanoVrs
Scooby Regular

One reason the wife bought an octavia vrs is we couldn't find an unmodified wrx at a reasonable price. If it's attractive enough, ie not to expensive someone will buy it. The problem is there are that many on the market that not to expensive means cheap.
Old 22 March 2006, 05:21 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Got a viewer coming in an hour, so fingers crossed
Old 22 March 2006, 05:38 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

>>>Plus, buying a modified vehicle doesn't say to me that this car has been looked after and driven sympathetically, no matter WHAT the owner says. It says that it might well have been utterly thrashed.
<<<

But once the mods are removed and you go and look at the now "standard _Subaru_" - one careful owner then you'd be happy to consider it..?

I appreciate your point, and sympathise with corradoboy. I'll end up in the same boat one day with mine. Silly thing is ppl buy these "standard" examples and often then go and buy mods!

I was wary as a first timer but I reckon if I sell up for a different Scoob I wont be shy of mods if they are well know, owner has receipts, work done at know garage etc etc.

I also wont be shy of saying to any prospective buyer that I drive my car hard. After all its a joke if anyone believes more than a tiny percentage of Imprezas are not driven hard! The thing is you just have to weigh up wheather or not you think the owner respected the car. In my experience a dead give away is how well looked after the car is.

Anyway..., just some thoughts on the matter but I dont know anyone looking so I cant hep with the sale!
Old 22 March 2006, 07:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Well, my viewers are getting it HPI'd tomorrow and will let me know. He proved traders insurance so I let him drive it on a straight bit of quiet road and the ****** redlined it After some choice words and an explanation about peak torque and DET he modified his style I then showed him how to drive a Scooby quickly without stress to the mechanicals and his misconceptions about WRX's being slow were well and truly shattered There are slow WRX drivers, but WRX's aren't slow Well, mine isn't He seemed impressed so let's wait and see what tomorrow brings