Sponsored by:

Road Angel any good?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2006, 10:03 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Angel any good?

looking to get one, not so i can go speeding but to save my licence as i dont have many points left.

how well do they protect against the van man? do they alert you in good time?

would rather get a road angel not a snooper as they dont display your speed, more spacifically im looking at the new road angel plus.

any one got any comments on them, cheers.
Gaz
Old 20 March 2006, 10:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GazJenno
looking to get one, not so i can go speeding but to save my licence as i dont have many points left.

how well do they protect against the van man? do they alert you in good time?

would rather get a road angel not a snooper as they dont display your speed, more spacifically im looking at the new road angel plus.

any one got any comments on them, cheers.
Gaz
Short of getting a lazer jamer (not legal), there is no real effective way to protect yourself against the van man. Nine out of ten times, by the time the you've been alerted to their presence, it's too late.

Local camera partnerships often advertise the location of mobile units on-line; it might pay to take a look on the websites.

As a fixed/temporary camera locator, the RA works very well though.

Ns04
Old 20 March 2006, 10:08 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I've got the Road Angel 2 (now re-badged to something else) they are good for letting you know about fixed cameras when it decides to give you some warning. Apart from that I won't think it'll save you from the temp ones. I believe the laser alerting on them will only tell you when you have been done by a camera van. Besides the law may about to change to only allow you to have GPS detectors and not ones that alert you about lasers from what I read in the daily motoring columns.
Old 20 March 2006, 10:15 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I've never had a point on my licence, don't have a road angel either.
You are better off sticking to 20, 30, and 40 limits to the annoyance of speeders, and being careful on 60 and 70's.
Not saying I don't have fun, but there is a time and a place...
BTW I had a snooper GPS for a while (same as the angel) and to be honest it may of seen the camera before me, but even without it I was still within 'adjustment' distance using my own eyes in national speed limit areas.

dipster
Old 20 March 2006, 10:18 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

damn it, thought they were suppose to be good to warn you in time for the van man.

i have checked out the website about the vans and it says what days there going to be on duty, problem is it doesnt say what time and the strech of road they say they'll be on is about 5-10miles long so they could be any where along there. i dont really break the speed limit alot but being so close to the points limit makes me watch the speedo like a hawk in stupid places.

i have heard about this new ruleing about the lazer ones but its not very detailed as to when it might go through?
cheers again,
Gaz
Old 20 March 2006, 10:30 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Was supposed to be last year, ran out of time though.
This summer maybe.
Any unit with a laser/radar detector will be illegal and you could get points and a fine for even having one in operation.
Old 20 March 2006, 10:31 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Better off saving your money m8 and just being careful.

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2006, 10:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GazJenno
damn it, thought they were suppose to be good to warn you in time for the van man.

i have checked out the website about the vans and it says what days there going to be on duty, problem is it doesnt say what time and the strech of road they say they'll be on is about 5-10miles long so they could be any where along there. i dont really break the speed limit alot but being so close to the points limit makes me watch the speedo like a hawk in stupid places.

i have heard about this new ruleing about the lazer ones but its not very detailed as to when it might go through?
cheers again,
Gaz
If it does come into effect, the lazer detection can be disabled.

It's next to no good for warning you though, they get a read on your speed almost immediately after targeting your car. You may get a jammy deflection off a car in front if you're lucky, but otherwise it serves no other reason than to tell you that -if you were speeding- you should expect a ticket.

Regrettably, the only solution if you're only one strike away from loosing your licence is to just adhere to the limits like there is no tomorrow.

Sorry!

Ns04
Old 20 March 2006, 11:28 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

i have a Snooper S2R, its not bad, picks up cameras fairly early so far for me... doesnt tell you your speed thoug, it just bleeps like mad when you are going too fast, and hardly at all if you are on\under the speed limit. Worthwhile investment of my £80s worth of Halfords vouchers!!

The Halfords guy did try to sell me the £250 new Road Angel, saying how his mate has an 800bhp nitrous Skyline and the Road Angel has never failed him, and he regularly drives at 150mph (it does it in 4th gear apparantly!)
Old 21 March 2006, 10:15 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

The road angel is good for reminding me where fixed and temp cameras are. I simply want one becuase sometimes i drive to some stupid places and over long distances and i want to be reminded of that one camera that i forget about when on 'auto-pilot' on the way home.

With regards to its ability to detect the vans or the policeman with his laser, absolutle ****e. One road nr me is a 2 mile 40mph dual carriageway, with regular vans and bobbies. And not once has the RA2 even hinted at them being there. Now this was in full view, with plenty of other cars about for the signal to bounce off.

If your serious about not getting done by vans, then get yourself a jammer and all the other associated bits that sell. You know the risks, its your choice
Old 21 March 2006, 10:30 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
The road angel is good for reminding me where fixed and temp cameras are. I simply want one becuase sometimes i drive to some stupid places and over long distances and i want to be reminded of that one camera that i forget about when on 'auto-pilot' on the way home.

With regards to its ability to detect the vans or the policeman with his laser, absolutle ****e. One road nr me is a 2 mile 40mph dual carriageway, with regular vans and bobbies. And not once has the RA2 even hinted at them being there. Now this was in full view, with plenty of other cars about for the signal to bounce off.

If your serious about not getting done by vans, then get yourself a jammer and all the other associated bits that sell. You know the risks, its your choice
Do bare in mind that just cause the RA doesn't beep when you pass known mobile locations, does not mean it has failed to detect anything; it may just mean that your car was not targeted. The policeman operating the device cannot simply point it at every car, it is only used to confirm a suspicion that you are breaking the speed limit. If you're within the speed limit in lane one, don't be sur[rised if you sail past them without ever getting targeted.

Ns04
Old 21 March 2006, 10:32 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

based on sheer pecentages of the number ive driven past, i find that unlikely i drive bloomin everywhere and not been bleeped at once. Maybe mines faulty ?
Old 21 March 2006, 11:02 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

I've got the original 'classic' Road Angel. It's good enough for alerting me to fixed sites, and also to where mobiles are regularly positioned. It also alerts to blackspots (without cameras), which is a useful reminder to take a bit more care in these areas.
Laser detector never once picked up a mobile camera that wasn't on the database, so I've now consigned it to the depths of my 'junk drawer'.
Old 21 March 2006, 05:52 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I too have the Road Angel 2, and the above commets about laser are very true. It aint worth anything as regards laser detection. You just wouldnt have enough time to react to it going off before you were actually done speeding anyway.
And dont forget, they are still trying to make laser detection illegal in the UK like it is in places like France and the like.
So in the future, it wont exist anyway.
The Road Angel 2 is excellent for what it does, and for me that is it tells me where every camera is in places that i dont know.
Everyone knows where they are when they travel regularly, but when i go somewhere different, it is nice to get a warning of it.
Old 21 March 2006, 06:02 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

not sure about the ledgeslation mate, but i have bought and i know several others that have bought from ebay.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZroadnetukQQhtZ-1

there are plenty of reconditioned ones that are with full warranty and 6 months subscription. if you do buy from them, only buy from the authorised blackspot dealers...

hope its of some use to you

john
Old 21 March 2006, 06:10 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

I noticed halfords are doing the road angel at £249, and the road angel plus at £299 at the moment!
What you pay for a recon unit from ebay?
Old 21 March 2006, 06:23 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

just a quick search but £180 seems the norm, not sure what mates got theres for but i used www.ezsniper.com to put in my bid, got it for £165 delivered

john
Old 21 March 2006, 07:30 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a drive smart unit......

www.drive-smart.co.uk

cheaper than road angels and free updates for life covering every camera in the whole of Europe...

Laser detection that actually works.... see the video demonstrations on the site..

Andy
Old 21 March 2006, 10:41 PM
clivey
Scooby Newbie

hi
i have a SNOOPER S4 NEO
and this did save me against a MAN IN A VAN in southampton
and also with a lazer in the new forest
would not be with out it ever...........
Old 22 March 2006, 08:46 AM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

I have the New Road Angel.. good if you keep it updated.. and it's never beeped a laser at me.. yet..