Oil leak problem? on a 55 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2006, 01:21 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak problem? on a 55 WRX

Hi

I've done just over 8,000 miles in my 55 WRX wagon.

the majority of it at "above average" speeds, on a 30 mile "private road" to and from work.

checked the oil for the first time about a week ago and its looking pretty low. ie i can see some oil on the dip stick, but its well below the L mark, let alone the H.

I phoned my local scooby dealer, who tell me that scoobs do use oil, even new ones, so not to be alarmed. stick in 1/2 - 1 litre of 5w40 fully synthetic, pref Castrol magnatec.

so i couldn't find that, but did get the same oil/ diffetrent brand.

poured in about 3/4 of a litre, and seems to have made NO difference to my dipstick reading? WTF?

this can't be right can it? theres so signs of a major oil leak, but with the engine tray i obviously can see no pool collecting below the car.

service is due in about 1,500 miles, and for the moment i'm driving the bird's 1.1 saxo as she's got a broken leg, and i am saving my miles until i start my new job 4 miles from home

does this sound serious?

EDIT:

I try to avoid turbo use for the first/ last ten mins of a journey, so no thrashing when its cold.

Last edited by DonnieDarko; 20 March 2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 20 March 2006, 01:27 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

My 03 WRX used to use close to the 1ltr/1000 mile point (which is subaru's max spec) but after 30000 it stopped doing it!, i used to put about 0.5 ltr for the whole 10000 from then (sold at 54000).

Damn wierd cars

These cars are buggers for missreading aswell because you are on a .5 deg slope or theres a full moon pulling on the oil in some way, basically i just kept it just about minimum all the time as the more i put in the more it used per mile it seemed

My new 55 STI doesnt seem to be using any yet (3000 miles)

Simon
Old 20 March 2006, 01:32 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

i have always read it on a slope - engine on the low part.

i'll try again on the flatest area i can find.

may need more than the 1 litre top up bottle then.

i had no idea i was going to need to do any topping up at all!

i wonder if its ps lewis coming round syphoning off all our oil to save a few more pence?
Old 20 March 2006, 02:13 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Not being funny but you should really check your oil more than once in 8k miles. I would advise checking it every time you fill the washer bottle as a minimum. My WRX (03) would use about 1/2L every 1000 miles. It did start to reduce down once I got over 20k miles though.

When checking the oil, let the engine stand for a few seconds (30) if its been running. Make sure the car as on a flat surface. Remove the dip stick and wipe with a clean cloth or kitchen towel. Replace firmly and then remove again. Do this twice to check your readings. Then if its low add 1/4L at a time, its much easier to put more in than take some out

Fill it to just below the max level marker. If you suspect an oil leak then check again in 100 miles. If there is no oil in the water or smoke from the exhuast or any drips then you are ok I would say.
Old 20 March 2006, 02:36 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Echo the point said already.

It can be very difficult to get an accurate reading. The best way is to check it first thing in the morning, provided the cars been parked on a flatish surface.

Failing this, allow at least 10 mins after a run with the dipstick pulled out slightly. Also if you have a clean piece of garden hose ~150mm (6") long you can use this to blow down the dipstick tube (you'll hear the oil bubble) this usually facilitates an accurate reading..
Old 21 March 2006, 11:11 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

well all sorted now- BUT i had to put in about 1.75 Litres of oil to get it up to half way between L & H

how much damage am i likely to have done?

i've done 7000 miles since the 1000 mile service during which time i guess i have been (on average) almost a litre low

these cars should have warnings on them to check the oil regularly- i've never had a car that used oil before- and those have all been at least 4 years old
Old 21 March 2006, 11:46 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

mine uses about 1/2 to 1 ltr every 2 weeks which equates to about 300 to 400 miles. im told by the dealer this is totaly normal...... ahem.... bolox......

but, i will keep topping it up, its my second engine just to point out, MY05 WRX with PPP. had 4500 miles i think it was when it let go... still to this day no explination from the dealer as to why it blew up....

sits back waiting for next engine to give up

Trending Topics

Old 22 March 2006, 09:15 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
these cars should have warnings on them to check the oil regularly- i've never had a car that used oil before- and those have all been at least 4 years old
Not sure on this, but is it not in the manual on weekly checks or summat ??

certainly used to check mine on a weekly, i think it used about a 1/2 litre between 7.5k services.
Old 22 March 2006, 09:17 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
mine uses about 1/2 to 1 ltr every 2 weeks which equates to about 300 to 400 miles. im told by the dealer this is totaly normal...... ahem.... bolox......
Yea ur right , that advice was definitely b0llox, he/she just didnt wanna know
Old 22 March 2006, 09:27 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

I think owner's manual suggests checking oil level every time you fill up.......hardly practical, but I check mine every weekend. The boxer engine does use oil, apparently half a litre per 1000 miles isn't unusual. Hope you haven't damaged your engine by not checking it DD.

CC
Old 22 March 2006, 10:03 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

you really have to check it once a week more if doing lots of miles 8,000 miles is way too long hopefully ok but get garage to check it over when in for service and check your oil more often
martin
Old 22 March 2006, 10:17 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

So far my 05 WRX 18k hasn't needed any topping up between it's 5k changes, still check it though every few weeks.

Like all cars some do and some don't.

As far as (IF..!) any damage is conserned, I wouldn't worry too much as you've a fair bit of warranty left. If it does go bang, don't mention this episode..!
Old 22 March 2006, 10:28 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
Hi

I phoned my local scooby dealer, who tell me that scoobs do use oil, even new ones, so not to be alarmed. stick in 1/2 - 1 litre of 5w40 fully synthetic, pref Castrol magnatec.

As a point of reference - Castrol Magnatec is not fully synthetic, it's semi and the grades available are 5w/30 and 10w/40
JohnD
Old 22 March 2006, 12:12 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
As a point of reference - Castrol Magnatec is not fully synthetic, it's semi and the grades available are 5w/30 and 10w/40
JohnD
yes i found that out yesterday when i picked up a bottle of 5w/40 synth.

so what exactly are Barratts Canterbury using? they told me to use an oil that doesn't exist! i think i'll be taking my own in for them to use in future.

so - should i tell them to check for damage at the service, or do i ignore it and hope if it is damaged it blows up in the next 2.5 years rather than after?

tough call. i suppose damage they found now would be cheaper, but it may completely void my warranty if they wanted to be *****.

its a Malta Liaco car BTW, although i am on the IM warranty database.
Old 24 March 2006, 09:38 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Hello m8 how are you doing.

I suppose your private road is the M2.

I used to trundle up and down it each day too but since January have relocated to sunny Essex.

Just read your post and and will check my oil tomorrow, as mine has 6,000 miles on the clock now and I haven't checked it for about 3 months
Old 03 April 2006, 06:16 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Guy's

With regard to the confusion over Castrol Magnatec Engine Oil, I can confirm that up until last year, Castrol Magnatec was only available in a semi-synthetic format of either 5w30 or 10w40 vintage, but they DO now offer a 5w40 Fully Synthetic Version.

Our Subaru Franchise made a decision to start using this grade of oil in routine servicing some months ago now.

Hope this clarify’s things

Phil