Sponsored by:

oil temp query

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2006, 06:11 PM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temp query

I've got a box standard uk my99 turbo with auto gauge gauges fitted to it. The oil gauge temp sensor is located in the oil sump and normal running temp has been approx 65-70 degrees c. However my temp gauge has been showing a higher than normal running temp of late - rising quickly when i know the engine to still be cold - 80 degrees after only a couple of minutes of starting the engine from cold.
The water temp is running normal temp and so is the oil pressure so do you lot think that it is a dodgy temp gauge or could my oil be running hot without any other gauges supporting this fact. If it is running hot what do you think could be the cause of it?

Many Thanks
Rick
Old 10 March 2006, 08:07 PM
cosmic
Scooby Regular

ive got defis on mine they run at 90 degrees all the time my sensors are located on a spacer plate between the oil filter and the block didnt realise how long it took oil to heat up until i got these gauges
Old 10 March 2006, 11:30 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

id say your temp sensor is up the creek...... but its in the wrong place to give an accurate oil temp reading anyways..... get a new sensor and relocate it to he plug above number 3 cylinder,mine normal running temp is 85 degrees,hotter when its given a bit of a blast
Old 11 March 2006, 12:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I take it you have checked your oil levels?

low oil = hot oil
Old 11 March 2006, 08:05 AM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

I only checked my oil level last week and it was fine but i will re-check today.

With regards to sensor position i requested that the sensor be placed in the sump as i thought that it would take longer for the oil to circulate etc and warm the oil up in the sump hence giving a longer time before i put my foot down and this im my way of thinking meant that it was just an extra measure of looking after that engine.

Many Thanks for your replies

Rick
Old 11 March 2006, 05:21 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my 99my like you, I had the sender in the sump and depending on ambient temp. and oil viscosity used, it would take a good 2 miles before it would move from its stop (40c) Normal operating temp. was around 80c after approx. 5 miles.
Next time you change the oil, imerse the sender in a freshly boiled kettle of water (100c) to check check its operation.
JohnD
Old 11 March 2006, 09:25 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

sensor in the sump will not give an accurate indication of the engine temp as its already being cooled by the time the sensor see's it...as the hottest part of the engine is generally regarded as number 3 cylinder,placing it in the oil gallery above that cylinder will give a truer reading as to the actual temp....agree with placing the sensor in a jug of boilling water with a thermometer to see if its ok