Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Touch up quote £1K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2001, 12:57 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got 3 scuffs on my paint work (dbm). So took the car to a local workshop. Got the quote today which included sills £20 short of a grand! I am still recovering from the shock. Can members recommend a good paint shop within 20 miles of Portsmouth?
Old 19 October 2001, 02:07 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Try having a rummage around here : http://www.chipsaway.co.uk

Could save you a large sum of money

Yex

[Edited by Yex - 10/19/2001 2:07:36 PM]
Old 19 October 2001, 02:31 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Are they respraying the whole car !?!?!

I got my bonnet and front bumper resprayed for around £150. I was told it costs around £75 per panel. That as from an official Subaru dealer.

Where are the scuffs on the car?

Stefan
Old 19 October 2001, 02:59 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

The scuffs are on the rear wing, the side of the front spoiler, the top edge of the front spoiler and slight scratches on the bonnet (a rolled up carpet fell on the car, while in the garage!!!!!!!!). None of the marks are more than match box size (the side panel of a match box). There are no dents or deep marks or panels out of shape. Quote £985 plus vat (£1157)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19 October 2001, 03:36 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

I can't recommend a good body shop within 20 miles of Portsmouth, but if you are willing to go a little further, Mill Lane Coachworks in Aldershot treated me well when I had my old car in there.

I parked my car up outside the house when I was moving in, came outside when the alarm was going off and the "Sold" sign of the estate agents had come off from the fence and dented the bonnet - nice. :-(

Needless to say I didn't pay for the damage and neither did my insurance ;-)

Mill Lane sorted it good n proper. You might need to give them notice if you want a courtesy car though.

No connection with them, just happy customer, blah blah blah...
Old 19 October 2001, 04:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Brooks m8, they're taking the pi$$. You could get a new front and rear spoiler painted for less !!

All the money's in the labour, the paint and materials costs next to nothing.

Keep shopping around.

Stefan
Old 22 October 2001, 08:17 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stefan, Ozzy and Yex for your replies. I will get some more quotes and will include some of your suggestions in those. I was expecting the quote to be in the region of £300 and simply could not believe it was 4 times that. Thanks again.
Old 22 October 2001, 09:38 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ozzy, please

Paint costs about £75 per litre, then you have hardener, lacquer, etc etc.

David
Old 22 October 2001, 10:58 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Shark,

Well all I can say is that according to my invoice it doesn't; unless I've been given the deal of the century. Anyway £75 for a litre of paint that's thinner than White Spirits taking the pi$$ a bit.

I'm sure you know best.

Stefan
Old 22 October 2001, 11:02 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

An update: I phoned the same company last week after recieving the 1st quote for a quote without the skirts. This arrived about 1 hour ago: £885!!!!! Still sky high IMHO. Thanks all for all your help.
Old 22 October 2001, 11:16 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brooks,

That's it, keep chipping away at them (forgive the pun). Even if the paint cost £300 per litre, that's no excuse for over-inflated prices.

Keeping shopping around, you'll be surprised just how much quotes will vary from dealer to dealer.

I had to get my drivers door replaced last year and the first quote was over £750. My dealer did the same job for around £450 quid.

Now you can't tell me that just because the paint and materials are so high. Why can one dealer do it for £300 less ?? A just how many litres do you need to spray a bonnet ??

Stefan

Old 22 October 2001, 12:29 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Brooks,

I have Chips Away coming to do some stuff on 2nd November, all the chips on the bonnet, one on the offside rear door and a scuff on the front bumper. Said scuff was only about 3 inches until some excellent parking at Eastbourne Crematorium extended the scuff to 12 x 3 inches.

The Chipsaway man is honouring his original quote of £135 plus Vat for the lot.

Will let you know the results on 3rd November.

Dave
Old 22 October 2001, 01:44 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Thanks once more Ozzy. Dave I would be very interested in your feedback on Chips away - and anyone elses. That quote looks a lot more reasonable than my quote. Is your paint metalic?

Thanks again,

Simon
Old 22 October 2001, 05:01 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

How much does a full respray cost then? I mean like changing the colour of a car totally eg. green to silver? Just wondering.
Old 22 October 2001, 08:37 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I don't want to start anything major here but consider this.

1 Litre of paint for the new WRX in silver is £75 + VAT. There are various makes of paint and some will come out cheaper, we used Glazurit on that job. It's one of the best.

Consider then, that 3/4 of a litre will paint a bonnet, and fade the colour to the tops of the wings. (The colour is sprayed three times) You also need primer for the base coat, and lacquer/hardener for the top coat.

Glazurit lacquer is £46 a litre and £20 a litre for hardener.

In addition you need the following to stop any contamination -
Panel wipes, 2 filters for the spray gun, masks and suit for the person doing the spraying, cleaning fluids for the equipment. Masking tape and materials to mask, flatting papers, compound and wax polish.

Also a decent spray gun will set you back £300.

The point is that £100 for paint/materials to spray a bonnet is not excessive.

Chips away - not really used them much, but from what I have seen, if your not looking hard at the area repaired, their good.

Changing colour on a car - well you could go on and on - do you want to change the colour inside the door/boot shuts? Under the bonnet ? Done properly the cost would be huge, running into 2/3k or more. Any number of new mouldings would be needed, plus clips etc.

David
Old 22 October 2001, 09:34 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

my skyline cost £1600 for a full respray, ALL dents and dinks taken out, grille repaired, body kit refitted correctly, sh1te past repair jobs put right, fitting of new rear indicators, refitting windows,polishing headlamps etc etc.the car looks like new, i kid you not.
best £1600 i ever spent. if i wanted a standox job ( where the colour 'flips' etc) it would be 2k.
the guy who did it also painted the rx7 that everyone was raving about at trax.
if you look in the 'gold wheels on red scooby' thread, you'll see my skyline after the paint job. not a brilliant pic, i will post better soon, but it shows what can be achieved for relatively little money.
the cost of spraying the split rims was £200.

i think your resprayer is taking the p155