Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Link Ecu or Unichip on the P1 ? Views and experiences please.

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 11:33 AM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone got any experience of either a Link Ecu or Unichip on the P1. I am thinking of looking at doing one of them but I would feel happier if I knew of your experiences whether good or bad first.

I have had a Unichip before on a Alfa 156 V6 and was very impressed but I know that the Link Ecu is also a favourite within the scooby fraternity.

What kind of power increases am I likely to see, bhp + torque? any examples would be great.

Cheers

Phil
Old 18 October 2001, 12:36 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Why don't you speak to Bob Rawle, he wiil be able to answer all yor questions. I thought about doing the same when I had my P1 but didn't do it because of invalidating the warranty.

Good luck mate
Old 18 October 2001, 02:28 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Phil,

my personal thoughts on this.

Unless you are planning some fairly extensive mods in the future I would stick with what you have. I may be wrong but I wouldn't of thought that the Link, and even more so the Unichip, would release any noticable power gains.

Ofcourse if you were planning to mod further at a later date, then the Link or Unichip can be re-mapped to take full advantage of these changes.

If you do decide to go ahead with this I would definately opt for the Link. I have a Unichip fitted to to my MY94 which cost in the region of £600 fitted and mapped. I don't feel that the map provided is optimum so I have enquired on getting it remapped but ofcourse this will take a good few hours, to be done properly, so will cost.

Secondly, I have had much trouble controlling boost fluctuation with the Unichip. The only way to cure it was to keep a number of different sized restrictors within the car which have to be changed depending on weather conditions - this p1ssed me off so I had a HKS EVC4 fitted at a further cost of £500. This now controls boost really well but it brings the total cost to over £1100. I have made enquires into getting the software so I can map it myself, but not for love nor money can I get it. If anyone knows where I can, please let me know.

Stick with the Link.

Old 18 October 2001, 02:53 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

dont know what mo means about not releasing gains.

makes a massive difference and is a necessity once you start modding. On its own it will be a big improvement.

the phase two cars will also benefit from the newer link which has a finer resolution of map.

Give Bob Rawle a call, he will be able to help you out and is a jolly friendly bloke. I would advise emailing bob directly rather than telephoning. He is a busy man, for valid reasons.
Old 18 October 2001, 10:38 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Had a Link fitted to mine mainly to stop it detting and therefore going bang.

The small increase in power and torque is just about noticeable

As for Bob, well, you wouldn't really want to let anyone else do it. Very experienced, knows what works because he's tried it all on his own car, and a top bloke.

Get it. You won' regret it.

[Edited by russell hayward - 10/18/2001 10:43:18 PM]