Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As Im looking to buy an Impreza , Sti's, UK, Jap, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 10:33 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting pulled more and more towards the Dark Side, or "Turbo Charging", as some people call it.
I have started having a look at Subaru's with a serious view to buying, but would appreciate some advice on which route to take.
My budget can stretch to around the £14k mark, and in looking around, Ive noticed there are two ways I could do this:
1. Get a UK Scoob, around the '98 mark, stock. Ive punched the numbers into Direct Lines website, to get a guide on insurance figures, and it comes in at around £1600 (0 NCB etc etc ).
This would allow me to upgrade it at a later date, and I suppose also allow me to buy from a dealer.

2. On Direct Lines website, they also mention 2 door (around the '96 mark, they refer to it as a Import STi Type-R, 2 door).
This is my absolute favourite shape, and much more in line with my new single guy image
Seriously, I love that shape, but the quotes are obvuously quite different.
It comes in at £2600, but this extra would mean I get a higher performance car out the box, in the shape I prefer, and would also mean I wouldnt worry with upgrading it (stop laughing at the back).
My question is, which one are they referring to? There seem to be all sorts of them, so if anyone has insured one through DL, could you let me know which Type, version etc they mean?

My requirements are they they take a PX, and are reputable. I want to buy through a dealer, but Im not too sure which dealers could provide the 2 door in question.

One other option, is to buy a slightly older car, Maidstone have a McRae model, so I assume this is a particullaly quick one, and Id save a bit of money, but Im not too sure how Scoobs hold up to the years.

I am looking to change around December 5th, so it gives me time to shop around. Is my budget realistic, and is it risky getting a Jap car, with servicing etc?

Cheers for any advice you can give, I suppose to help the blow of insuring the 2 door, I could get the dealership to over finance slighty to include it, because I do love that shape (and apparently they perform a little better too )

Thanks
Graham
Old 18 October 2001, 10:37 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Not so much help finding a dealer, but if you shop around you should be able to get yourself an STi 5 (late '98, early '99) for around that sort of money mate.

Rgds, Alex
Old 18 October 2001, 10:41 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

None of the UK special edition cars are any more powerful than a normal UK car of the same year. The only exception to the is the RB5 which was available with the Prodrive option (but then this is available for any UK car anyway)
Old 18 October 2001, 11:14 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1648730406

This may interest you. I saw it on ebay
Old 18 October 2001, 11:38 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Servicing is not risky. There are even a few uk dealers who will service a jap car.

Your quotes sound very high indeed.

what is your insurance record?

Type rs are the two door shape as you know and all are 280PS as standard. Earlier four door japanese cars has 240 or 260PS (then some 275PS too) but at your price, any jap car will be 280PS out of the box. Try privilege for a decent quote.

I would look for an sti 4 5 or 6 for the mopney you are spending, but dont exclude the four door. They are safer to drive, as they are less rear wheel drive like.

If you are gettign quotes in like that I would also consider an evo 5.
Old 18 October 2001, 11:51 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Cheers all
Adam, I cant get a break. Got involved in an accident that wasnt my fault, but lost the case before it even began, and went from over 3 years NCB, to 0!!
Since then, I almost had a year, really wanted the Teg, took the insurance Honda offered, but my year with the other company wasnt up yet, so missed that as well (through my own impatience and stupidity).
So I am due 1 year on the 5th of December, hence thats when Im looking to buy.
I also just got caught for speeding, so £135 fine, plus my licence is in Leicester somewhere getting endorsed

So, Im a worst case scenario, and its a real struggle. Used DL to get a general idea on prices, and thats the around the prices Im looking at.

Im still unsure on which actual model they are referring too?
How many 2 doors of that sort of description are available? just so I know which one to pursue.

One other option, I guess, is to get a standard import Turbo, middle ground between the 2 door import, and the 4 door UK model.

Any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Graham
Old 18 October 2001, 12:19 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Forgetting new shape, wrx is common or garden turbo in japan.

only two doors were sti type r, and two very rare wrx type rs (one of which is for sale in the private forum now).

Insurance wise, there will be nothing between a wrx and an sti. The type r might be a touch more expensive.

i was surprised as the 22B feel into the same category as the sti, which was slightly above the wrx.

If you can insure an import then do it. I made the mistake of buying a wrx and started modding it. It is much cheaper to start with the sti and go from there. Moray and scott davies also realised the same thing.

You would ultimately be best off buying a uk car and insuring it with a mod friendly company. You could then upgrade this in a couple of years to a jap car or a P1 when they are cheaper and you no claims bonus has grown a bit.

The performance will not let you down, and percentage wise it is easier to improve on 215bhp than 280PS.

plus UK cars can be found for around 10k. (so can jap but older)
Old 18 October 2001, 12:47 PM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi there!

I would look around for a 97-98 Terzo with around 30,000 - 40,000 miles on the clock.

I purchased a MY97 UK Turbo nearly six months ago & I had a budget of around 12K.

Lucky for me a found the car 5 miles away from where I live. The guy had the car up for sale at 11,500K & I got him down to 10,800K.

I may well have saved the 700 quid purchasing the car but it's cost me nearly the same replacing the front tyres, the major 48 month service & replacing the front disc's & brake pads.

The only downside of the car is some people may say that it is "RED" I quite like red cars, but the colour of the Terzo is fantastic!!

I am insured by Direct Line at a cost of 1034 which includes protected no-claims & my dad's also on the policy. I have full no-claim bonus, no points, claims etc etc and 26 years of age.

I would stick with looking for a 'UK' model as they seem to hold there value a bit better.

Cheers

RickyD
Old 18 October 2001, 12:56 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Talking

have a look at www.scoobyworld.co.uk in the for sale section - 50 odd cars on there, mostly private, but some trade.

Neil
Old 18 October 2001, 01:00 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Whats a Terzo?
Ive seen the name before, but never really looked into what it is.

I love that whole 2 door thing, I must admit, specially coming from a coupe', but Im going to let good sense prevail whilst buying a Scoob, so Ill take onboard all the advice.

Off to check out www.scoobyworld.co.uk.
Old 18 October 2001, 01:21 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

integra bloke.

one thing to bear in mind is thet two doors dont have abs unless they are the P1, which yours wont be.

this may be a concern for you.

Old 18 October 2001, 01:25 PM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Cool

check out http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=49234

it is a 2 door
has 300PS (~295bhp)
and has ABS
and is only £14,500
and is a 1998 car

airhead
Old 18 October 2001, 01:29 PM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Cool

to explain

ABS - as a type R special edition it does have ABS but it does not have diff control, unlike other type R's

300PS (~295bhp) - oops, the gentlemans agreement for car manufacturer's says 280 tops, and they wouldn't build a car over that and disclose it either would they, even for a limited edition like the V Ltd.
Old 18 October 2001, 01:32 PM
JohnS

It would also be worth reading the FAQ at www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm which has details on all the UK special editions, and changes between the different model years.

14k buys you a lot of Impreza these days, even from a main dealer!
Old 18 October 2001, 01:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

airhead.

for your car to have abs is very special indeed.

But there is simply no standard car with an output of over 280ps.

The engine/turbo/ecu in your car is typical of any wrx of its vintage and as such its output is 280PS which equates to 276bhp.

The centre diff which is intended for rallying use is incompatible with abs, and as such it must be removed and replaced with a standard 4 door diff.

At the same time, it is likely you have the sliding rear brake calipers rather than the type r two pots as the sti type r rear hubs do not have abs sensors. This will mean you will also have the standard rear lsd which is viscous coupled rather than mechanical, and the standard driveshafts. If I were right in betting that your car doesnt have a quick steering rack, then congratulations, you nearly have a P1, but for much less money .

Apart from the sti engine (forged pistons, different heads, turbo and red manifold) and suspension settings your car in the state I have just described is essentially identical to the P1. Is it sonic blue? does it have a big spoiler? if so well done.

bargain P1 anyone?

Old 18 October 2001, 02:19 PM
Cougar
Scooby Regular

IntegraR

You have Mail

Old 18 October 2001, 02:35 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Graham,

Worth trying, Tesco's, Greenlight and Elephant for quotes!

Also I think a frined of yours and mine may be able to help, due to his new job role!

Cheers
Andy
Old 18 October 2001, 03:05 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Which ones came with 2 door?
I have looked around, and seen version 3' with 4 doors, and loads of other versions with 4 doors, so what is the actual 2 door model called?

Edit: thanks Andy. Im going to give Greenlight a call.

[Edited by IntegraR - 10/18/2001 3:07:27 PM]
Old 18 October 2001, 04:24 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

all type rs have two doors.

type ras have four doors and are light weight versions.

all type rs except two models are stis.

so there are

wrx sti 3 type r
wrx sti 4 type r
wrx sti 5 type r
wrx sti 6 type r
P1
22B
22B type uk

and two which are just

wrx type r

on top of this, you can add the suffix v limited meaning they have a roof vent and are fewer in number (22Bs cannot be v limited)

all are supposed to have centre diff control and no abs apart from P1 but weird one off ones seem to exist such as airheads car.

hope this clears it up.
Old 18 October 2001, 04:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, insurance, give Tom Butler @ Schofield Insurance Brokers a ring (or look for Rum* on here), he insures my MY94 WRX Wagon, with a few mods. He might get yo ua better quote than 2.5k then again, maybe not, tis worth a try though, number is 0113 250 0377

As for what to get, well, for 14k you could get a decent ish used euro import, as they seem to be a) cheaper to purchase in the first place, and thus cheaper when it comes to used ones.
Old 18 October 2001, 04:30 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Okay, well, just got off the phone with Greenlight and Bell.
Greenlight wont touch an sti5 Type-R with a barge pole, and Bell came up with a quote for £4500!!

Er, I think a UK spec, unmodded may be on the cards, but that Imn ot so excited about, I wanted 2 doors!!

WRX 2 door sounds ideal, where can I get one?
Old 18 October 2001, 06:03 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

IntegraR

You have mail !

Cheers

Mark
Old 18 October 2001, 08:03 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If you stay with a UK car side then you should find a decent MY99 at a non subaru dealer for good money, this will have warranty left, which you can extend for a small fee via your local dealer and get the same level of cover as a new car! There have been several sub £12k MY99 cars advertised with sensible mileage, not a bad choice as 4 pot brakes are standard and is the newest looking old shape (ie the front had a minor facelift for 1999).

Of course £14k could also get you a fantastic STI4 (MY98) or an OK STI5 (MY99) in 2 door, which you should be very happy with

Tip for the UK car though, look out for one with Prodrive goodies as these are factory approved (which insurers are often more friendly too!) and aren't cheap new but it might only cost a few hundred extra for thousands worth of extra kit!

Personally my money would go import for the insurance is getting ever harder so maybe UK is the way for you!

Jon
Old 18 October 2001, 10:35 PM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Cool

Adan M - yes I thought mine was pretty much like a P1 when I bought it, similiar in many ways including the colour. But since then I've become of the huge range of impretzas out there, and the often sublte differences. Bad news only small spoiler, but if I take the car to NZ, I may well put a bigger spoiler on.

IntegraR - try tescos for insurance, they were cheapest for me at £1400.

airhead
Old 18 October 2001, 11:09 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Try AXA ~ I seem to do very well with them !