Sponsored by:

Impreza Ignition Barrels

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2006, 02:05 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI: Impreza Ignition Barrels

Sorry to double post and dredge up old posts, but this does seem quite concerning.

I've done some search on here and there are several other posts mentioning the same kind of problems.

My other half's WRX had a problem with the ignition barrel; The key could be removed with the ignition switched away from the off/lock position. I thought this might have been caused by theft damage in the past so I took the barrel to a friend who is an auto lock smith.

He discovered not only did the key fall out of the barrel but it could also be turned with a screwdriver.. He told me it is a very common problem, the wafers seize up inside the barrel either in the locked or unlocked position, meaning either the barrel is completely unusable or it can be turned with anything!

Its a simple fix though, the wafers just need cleaning, lubricated and refitting into the barrel and it works like new again.. He also noted that this tends to wear out the keys because the wafers don't retract like they should.

Just thought I would point this out to classic Impreza owners who do not have a transponder in the key as this obviously makes the car very easy to steal!

Last edited by [Davey]; 27 February 2006 at 02:48 PM.