Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there much difference between wrx and sti ??

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2006, 05:50 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there much difference between wrx and sti ??

Looking to sell my MY2000 bugeye wrx and buy a used sti MY2002 up to MY2004 (Don't tell the wife !!).

Is there much difference between the wrx and the sti ?

ie - is the suspension too hard to live with for everyday use ?

- are the power gains noticable ?

- are the levels of grip noticable ?

- is the fuel economy that much worse ?

- did the models change throughout those years (any year to avoid) ?

I suppose what I'm getting at is it worth while paying extra for the sti if the wrx does the same job.

The suspension on the wrx is great, soft enough for every day use but still sticks to the road well. Where as the sti suspension is supposed to be really stiff. Would'nt I be better off buying a wrx and getting a PPP kit on it ?

Look forward to your advice,

Regards,
Graeme.
Old 22 February 2006, 06:03 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I would suggest you do a search of old threads, there are 100's dealing with this subject.

Gary
Old 22 February 2006, 06:16 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gary,

Will do a search.

Cheers,
Graeme.
Old 22 February 2006, 06:17 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

I did the same thing went from a wrx to an sti both bugeyes,the suspension is alot harder the steering is stiffer but you soon get used to it,i found mpg around the same although my wrx was running 270bhp.
Old 22 February 2006, 06:49 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

in a word yes - sold my uk300 and bout a jdm sti. the uk300 was a good car but the sti is far better
Old 22 February 2006, 07:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I have a WRX for sale you may want to consider. On a recent test drive a mate with an 03 STi PPP TSL333 couldn't believe how much faster mine was than his, even with 70-80bhp less. Power is nothing without control, which is where my modding budget has been spent to create an awesome drivers car with total reliability. CLICKY
Old 22 February 2006, 10:03 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

WRX and STI are TOTALLY different cars. I have owned both and the STI is like a different car altogether. Mine is PPP and is unbelievably quicker than a WRX though I prefered the WRX handling. As for fuel consumption I now spend half my life at the Optimax pump. A few WRX PPPs have had a go recently and give them their due they are quick, prob quicker than standard STI, but STI PPP wins hands down!!
Old 22 February 2006, 10:14 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, I suppose it's down to personal preference., i.e. - what ride quality, acceleration, etc.

The sti's look so bloody good !!!

Me thinks a test drive is in order.

Thanks again,
Graeme.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:29 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by graeme.
Thanks for the info, I suppose it's down to personal preference., i.e. - what ride quality, acceleration, etc.

Thanks again,
Graeme.
have you had insurance quotes on wrx ppp and standard sti?
are they much different? this may influence your choice
Old 22 February 2006, 10:53 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Graeme, it really to do with what style of car you are looking for, what you intend using it for, and how much you intend modifying it.
I have had a 24hour test on a 04 STi(actually a loan of a demo whilst my car was serviced) and did not think very much of the car. Admittedly, the car was bog standard with only 4k on it, and with a PPP on it and/or more mods from the Prodrive range, it may have been a lot nicer. I personally felt that the car as standard, was too much work, was too stiff and basically too much like a track car for everyday driving. This is not to say that the tunability of these cars is not fabulous, and the end results can really warp your mind.
My own car (or should I say wife's car as I own a Legacy GT-B) is a 04 WRX SL PPP, Prodrive spring kit and geometry settings (not really needed on a STi), STi wing (my choice), PFF7's (these would cost no matter what car you bought), STi quickshift (ditto), Prodrive diff guard (ditto), and STi front Brembo's with DBA discs (a realistic upgrade where a WRX falls short of a STi). When the warranty runs out in 14 months time, I intend an Andy F modified TD04 turbo and re-map, STi intercooler, and a H&S sports cat downpipe. Yes, current mods may add up, but not to any more than what an STi would have cost me.
My point to this, is that I currently have a car that is easily a match for standard STi's (I would doubt that it would match a STi PPP currently), and with the future mod's, certainly one of the quicker cars out there (see Andy F's article in this months ScoobyMag for details), and most of all, it is still a safe, predictable, comfortable car for my wife to drive everyday, with my child in the back.
Take your time thinking about what car YOU want, as rectifying a rash decision will cost a LOT of money with these cars.
Good Luck with your hunt.
Craig
Old 23 February 2006, 12:00 AM
raj_kemp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by graeme.

Thanks again,
Graeme.
WRX can look as good as STI with few fittings

Old 23 February 2006, 06:21 AM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

I picked up an 02 STI 2 days ago and am blown away by the handling and acceleration. Mine has pro-drive springs and the body is so rigid and stable on corners its untrue. I know its a standard car at the minute but it really is awesome. The steering is light and precise, the brakes are superb and though its not a fair comparison, every single little thing is far improved than my old my99 uk turbo.

Oh and the STI is stunning to look at... especially in black...