Sponsored by:

What passes for a driver?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2001, 12:32 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Yesterday, I'm about to park, the woman parked in front of me is reversing, or so I thought, after 2 mins I parked behind and got out.

Her car's (Citroen AX old shed) reversing light was on, but I couldn't hear the engine running, she was reading something, so I tapped on her window gently and she wound the window down. I said "I think your reversing light is stuck on, cos I sat behind you waiting for you to move, but your're not." At this point I could see the igntion was on.

She replied "Oh yes my handbrake's gone it hasn't worked for ages."

Oh great, so that's alright then? So how'd she get an MOT? Or even has she got one?

What prompted this post was the thread about "razzed off by a vectra" when somebody mentioned being overtaken by some **** in a speeding Corsa, who was gatsoed at the time.

Probably pointless. I heard on the radio yesterday that increasing numbers of people are not bothering to register their cars with the DVLA.

Quite simply, the automation of the detection of speeding and RFL avoidance means nobody ever really "attends" the car. Add to this no insurance and you begin to get the picture?

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Any similar motoring greats visited you?
Old 17 October 2001, 12:53 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Basically there are fewer and fewer of us legitimate drivers who end up subsiding those who choose the no MOT/ no Insurance /no DVLA/ no licence = no expense route.

Trouble is its these buggers you are most likely to end up having an acciodent with as they are usuallly crap drivers....
Old 17 October 2001, 12:54 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine helpfully approached a parked car on the side of a road. The guy's engine was running and was obviously waiting for someone.

Aforementioned driver had both his headlamps and fog lights on. Good visibility, daylight etc. Mate says 'scuse me mate, but you've got your fog lights on. Guy replied puzzled 'yes I know'. Not sure he caught the irony of "TW@T" tossed in his general direction.
Old 17 October 2001, 01:22 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I can't belive half the cars around me have mot's therfore tax and insurance... I'm not sure what the percentage of ppl who drive without a licence is now either

but what can you do about it except drop the prices and increase the penalties? which isn't going to happen

The government know theres nothing they can do about these ppl. they can hardly ban them from driving etc .
Old 17 October 2001, 01:35 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

How about get rid of the Road Tax and make cars display a valid MOT and Insurance "disc" on their window? That would be a start.

And when you go to renew these items, they don't give them to you, they post them to the address that you specify, thus making it more difficult to own a car without giving a valid address.
Old 17 October 2001, 02:32 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Saw some new cameras being erected in my area... thought "oh no - more gatso's!!" but it was in fact a new initiative by the Fuzz that i actually agree with. The camera checks your tax is valid and is supposed to then link (?at a later date) into insurance records.

So at last the buggers MAY get knicked (if they bothered to register with the DVLA in the first place!!!).

Which is nice

Jza
Old 17 October 2001, 02:39 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

yeah saw an article this morning on them new car tax cameras in me autoexpress / autocar.

hope it catches some of the ba**ards

steve

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2001, 02:58 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waiting for laws to come into effect could take a long time. Is it possible to "tell on" the people that do these things? After all, it's us that end up paying for it all. I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about "grassing" on someone that's taking these kinds of liberties. A car with no MOT could mean someones death.

Steve.
Old 17 October 2001, 03:15 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Red face

On a similar subject, has anyone experienced "pedestrian rage"?

I was recently driving through a 30 zone (at the speed limit, honest!) when a woman moved out into the road and started waving frantically. I pulled over, assuming there was a problem up ahead and was greeted with a stream of abuse about the fact I was speeding! It took me a while to convince her otherwise but she calmed down eventually. It turned out the road was plagued by nutters and her daughter's cat had been run over & killed the night before - she stopped me because I looked like "the type who would start speeding".

A similar situation happened to a friend, although the guy involved actually started hitting her car. Fortunately a copper was nearby. It turned out that he took exception to her "loud" (but legal) sporty exhaust.

Just another example of how the scum element get all drivers (particularly those not driving bread & butter saloons) tarred with the same brush I guess.

Dean