Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2006, 07:14 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default font? what font is used for...

the text IMPREZA WRX STI spec C TYPE RA

seen here: http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/spec_c_RA2005/

Please could someone tell me, or better still re-create and make an vector image of it, that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Darren
Old 04 February 2006, 08:10 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I believe Microgramma is the font you require. However, the RA part is a logo and not a font.

Last edited by highlander68k; 04 February 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04 February 2006, 08:18 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thank you Highlander. The RA logo, was it created from that font?
Darren
Originally Posted by highlander68k
I believe Microgramma is the font you require. However, the RA part is a logo and not a font.
Old 05 February 2006, 05:30 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have downloaded that font from here and it does not see to be the same font. Is this the right font??

Darren
Old 05 February 2006, 08:52 PM
sc00by555
Scooby Regular

Microgramma is the font used to create the logotype for "Subaru". Microgramma is not used for any of the elements used in the graphic you posted Darren. There are 3 different elements used to create the English typography:

1. "Impreza WRX STI" is a logo derived from a font similar to Akzidenz Grotesque Super Oblique.
2. "Spec C" and "TYPE" are derived from Helvetica Heavy Extended Oblique, but have been further 'tilted' to match the angle of the other elements.
3. "RA" is a logotype derived from what could also be Helvetica Heavy Extended Oblique. However, there are rounded corners and the crossbars have been doctored to create uniqueness.

Don't always expect to find an exact font for what is used to advertise any product, graphic designers and typographers get great pleasure in creating something unique when given a brief, also Subaru would have probably asked for a look that is not 'off-the-shelf'. If you want to get an accurate representation of what Subaru have used here, use a program like Illustrator or Freehand to break up the font and create bezier curves and lines for you to play with. You'll soon get to grips with it if you have a passion for such things, which after seeing all your Photoshop work Darren, I would say you do.

Good luck
Old 06 February 2006, 08:53 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Darren, without taking it to far off topic - I notice in your profile it says 'Trying to be a Graphic Designer ' - one of the most important things to learn if you are going to make a living out of it is how to create vector graphics ( Illustrator, Corel Draw etc... are good ) from scratch, and how to be able to take a JPEG of a logo like the RA and create a vector from it.

Being good at photoshop and JPEG's is all well and good, but JPEG's are basically useless on their own as a format - other than looking good on a PC screen or printed in actual size, there isnt much else you can use them for.

Say for example, Bobs Builders want a new logo - they want it on their business cards and letterheads, and for a 3 foot long sign on the side of their transit in vinyl - if you design the logo as a vector in the first place, you can easily use it for any purpose, if you made a Jpeg that is a couple of inches across, it wont' be suitable for vehicle signing, embroidery etc...

So get practicing !!! having a quick look at the RA logo, that would take me about 1 min to make a vector of from scratch, and it could be scaled to any size, filled in any colour etc... Converting fonts is a good starting point to learn how to do it, but you'll probably find its quicker to just do it from scratch once you get more used to it.

If you plan on any sort of career in design, you'll be a lot more employable if you can do Raster and Vector graphics well, as well as being able to come up with much better work than people who can only use Photoshop.