Keeping her clean...

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2000, 01:29 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I'm new to this, so first - hi all, secondly I've had my imported MY00 (DBM) about a month now and am already noticing very fine scratches appearing in the paintwork. I've washed her 3 times, and used the Halfords wash & Wax stuff and a good quality chamois.

Should I be using something else to avoid these extremely fine scratches? Can anyone suggest some good shampoo & wax to use?

Any ideas?

Also, any meets planned for the Leics/Notts area within the next few weeks?

cheers
NeilT
Old 09 October 2000, 01:48 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Neil,

I too have a DBM car and was rather alarmed to see loads of swirl marks the first time I washed it.

The best advice would be to get in contact with Mark Underwood and order one of the Wax Wizard started kits. These cost about £60 which I know sounds quite a lot if you are used to buying Autoglym from Halfords but the Wax Wizard range of products are excellent and easiest the kindest thing to use on the far too easy to mark paintwork.

Whatever you do don't use Autoglym or Mer, I used Autoglym a couple of weeks after getting my car and could have almost cried when I noticed just how many swirl marks it left behind. A couple of coats of Merlin Wax and not only will the car look amazing but the swirl marks will be covered too.
Old 09 October 2000, 01:49 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I've had my MY00 DBM for two months and have noticed the same thing. As I live out in the country, I have decided that the best course of action is to drive like **ck down muddy lanes, thus covering up the offending scratches

Geezer
Old 09 October 2000, 02:16 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree!

I live on a farm and the car (DMB) is always covered in crap and it hides up the scratches very well. At the end of the day you'll be very lucky to avoid scratches, stonechips etc and your car is there to be used (and abused?) I've given up worrying.

Moss
Old 09 October 2000, 04:44 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Would it be true to say that these problems only occur with DBM? or are any of the other Subaru colours effected similarly? (e.g. Royal Silver???)
Old 09 October 2000, 04:59 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I too have stonechips (MY00 Silver, 24k miles), but the primer is about the same colour as the paint

However, it seems that everyone who opens their door into mine has a darker colour car
Old 09 October 2000, 05:02 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Carl,

Seems only to be DMB, all the other colours seem to be much harder. There have been numerous threads on DMB and other paint related problems - do a search.

Moss
Old 09 October 2000, 07:03 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

JoeyDeacon, the man who cried when he first used wax wizard and thought the blue towels were scratching his car

To remove swirl marks you need to HD Cleanse the car, not just "wax it" a couple of times, blimey wish people would get their facts straight
Old 09 October 2000, 08:11 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Sunilp

As you seem to be the expert, fancy coming round and polishing mine for me to show me how it is done (DBM, no swirls - am I doing something wrong?)?
Old 09 October 2000, 09:03 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

Blimey...cows muck and mud...what a brilliant idea...tell me where u live and I will come and bottle some and analyse it and see if I can find a way to market it...after all its a natural product.

No seriously...try put some real fresh cow pat on yer bonnet and leave it there for a month or so and then try and wash it off! You'll be amazed at the etching that will occur...SO wash the crap of ASAP and look after your investment properly.
Old 10 October 2000, 06:08 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave, you sound like youre doing fine all by your lonesome. However, if you want me to come round and give your missus a buffing, let us know
Old 10 October 2000, 08:00 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> hope you lunatics over there dont put your Subarus into those automatic car washes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the problem with this is ? When ever I'm in the Uk, I stick me 22b through the local car wash.. No worries mate

Besides they go faster when they're dirty.. Just ask the other Richard

Richard

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 10 October 2000).]
Old 10 October 2000, 12:13 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

I hope you lunatics over there dont put your Subarus into those automatic car washes.Working in a Subaru garage I can say that DBM is impossible to keep even if you sponge wash the car you cant avoid the very very fine marks that you can see in direct sunlight.As for people opening there door into your car,I always try and paralel park mine or else I take up 2 parking spaces.And Silver or white are the best colours.
Regards
Kevo
Old 10 October 2000, 02:28 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Red face

Richard - thought you were an intelligent sort of bloke

Automatic carwashes are a NO GO AREA

Unless of course you want millions of tiny stripes running the legth of your car .

(Or does that help the aerodynamics of a 22b )

Regards

D
Old 10 October 2000, 08:36 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Sunilp

Don't go there mate, don't go there!