Sponsored by:

performance for 02 sti with ppp

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2006, 10:15 PM
scrappy doo puppy power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking performance for 02 sti with ppp

hi i have got a 02 sti ppp and have being told that that 0-60 is done in4.6sec(if you can change out off 1st gear quick enough which i failed in the first time i tried) but soon got the hang of it.is that right and how quick is it to 100mph.just farther inlaw has a new 911 and wont have it that mine is quicker off the mark than his. because ours are only a2lt after all his words not mine.but ever time he his in front in his car i have to ease of or else i would run in to the back off him when we set off, but he says that he was not trying but wheel spining and traction contol kicking in gives it away. would just like to prove his his 65.000 grand car is not as quick as are's cheers
Old 27 January 2006, 02:19 AM
SteveColvin
Scooby Newbie

Not sure how well respected this answer will be as a fellow newbie, but as a former 02 Sti PPP owner who often (insecurely and paranoidly) doubted his car's performance credentials I don't believe that it is normally possible to achieve Prodrive's claimed times. That's not to say they aren't valid.

From what I understand, to achieve 0-60 (not 61.8/100km/h as is sometimes quoted) Prodrive 'may' have done either or both of two things that magazine road testers often can't be arsed doing or (and I doubt this slightly) don't know about.

1. Yes, the whole world knows about the TMIC's aversion to heat soak, so therefore ideally a standing start will be commenced very soon after a 'low load' run where the warmed-up car is brought to a hault on the 'start line' and then immediately launched before said intercooler cooks and becomes less efficient.

2. Power Shifting - whether a car is normally aspirated or not, upshifting or more specifically, interupting power, at Pmax on the rev range doesn't necessarily always yield best acceleration. Thought has to be given as to where in the rev range, a given gear change will 'land' in the next gear for optimum thrust. Racing drivers often develop a feel for where this point is and only use the remaining revs as over-range when an up-change isn't always possible. ie. mid-to-late corner.

Shortly after I bought my 02 Sti (it wasn't new), before I had it PPP'd I was marginally humbled by an Astra Turbo (obviously well modded - I keep telling myself...) on straight line drags from consecutive roundabouts. Whilst I had the upperhand laying down the power out of the roundabouts I was gradually hauled in and passed by the happiest Astra driver earth has yet known.

Not to labour a point, I think that revving to around 7k in each gear was probably not the way to 'win' then - whether it sounded damn good at the time or not. Anyway what could have been, never was etc...

As to why you are hauling in a 65k 911 is a little beyond me. A simple disection of performance figures (for those who do entrust them) suggests that most recent 911's 60-100 times show that most UK Impreza's acceleration strenghts lie in the 0-60 domain of 0-100 times and not too much beyond...

Steve.

Last edited by SteveColvin; 27 January 2006 at 02:36 AM.
Old 27 January 2006, 07:37 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Without having the resources for either car i do not have 1st hand experience but i would have thought that the scooby would leave the porker off the line purely due to traction and probably stay there close to 100 whereby the german car would come past at a considerable rate. Good sprint cars are scoobies but after initial gains i feel the porche would be gaining all the time. From a rolloing start the result would probably be a lot different. i.e porche miles ahead. Im sure a far more informed individual will be on shortly with the facts though.
Old 27 January 2006, 08:56 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

2. Power Shifting - whether a car is normally aspirated or not, upshifting or more specifically, interupting power, at Pmax on the rev range doesn't necessarily always yield best acceleration. Thought has to be given as to where in the rev range, a given gear change will 'land' in the next gear for optimum thrust. Racing drivers often develop a feel for where this point is and only use the remaining revs as over-range when an up-change isn't always possible. ie. mid-to-late corner
This is a good point, and one you can test yourself ,

Before I had my wrx i had a 2.0 sport, this was a quick car(ish) right through the rev range, but the turbo versions are incredibly different.
The standard wrx gearbox is set up to keep you in the poweer range all the time, try upshifting when you get to 5500 revs in each gear and see where the pointer lands as you re engage clutch.
The gearbox will put you back at 4000 rpm exactly, therefore keeping your revs in the power range.
after about 5700 revs ( I think) the wastegate kicks in and relaeases the pressure from your turbo, so you are basically driving a turbo vehicle without a turbo, and we all know this is BAD.
Basically, you've got more power in 4th gear at 4000 revs than you would in 3rd at 6000 revs, as this is about a 3rd of the way through the turbo range, which starts at approx 2800 revs in my car, so if you jump in at 4000 revs you are already through the power build up stage and you keep the turbo spinning all the way up to whatever mph you are aiming for (50 if you're pslewis ), rather than spin up spin down spin up spin down etc etc.

At least i think this is right, sure someone will come on and set fire to my post tho

Dan.
Old 27 January 2006, 09:07 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

the 911 is far superier in every way wake up
Old 27 January 2006, 09:34 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
the 911 is far superier in every way wake up
Dont think anyones debating that though are they.
Old 27 January 2006, 04:09 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

is it a my cars quicker than a 911 thread or not

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2006, 05:13 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danwrx1980
This is a good point, and one you can test yourself ,

Before I had my wrx i had a 2.0 sport, this was a quick car(ish) right through the rev range, but the turbo versions are incredibly different.
The standard wrx gearbox is set up to keep you in the poweer range all the time, try upshifting when you get to 5500 revs in each gear and see where the pointer lands as you re engage clutch.
The gearbox will put you back at 4000 rpm exactly, therefore keeping your revs in the power range.
after about 5700 revs ( I think) the wastegate kicks in and relaeases the pressure from your turbo, so you are basically driving a turbo vehicle without a turbo, and we all know this is BAD.
Basically, you've got more power in 4th gear at 4000 revs than you would in 3rd at 6000 revs, as this is about a 3rd of the way through the turbo range, which starts at approx 2800 revs in my car, so if you jump in at 4000 revs you are already through the power build up stage and you keep the turbo spinning all the way up to whatever mph you are aiming for (50 if you're pslewis ), rather than spin up spin down spin up spin down etc etc.

At least i think this is right, sure someone will come on and set fire to my post tho

Dan.
Interesting point this. I do find though that upshifting in my WRX at 6,500rpm results in the quickest overall acceleration. Over 5,500rpm the TD04 is not efficient sure but upshifting at 6.5k in 2nd drops you in at just under 5k in 3rd - near peak power again. Even though the power curve is dipping after 5800rpm the area under the power graph is greater between 5k and 6.5k than 4k and 5.5k.

Ben
Old 27 January 2006, 10:11 PM
scrappy doo puppy power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
is it a my cars quicker than a 911 thread or not
it is not a my car is quicker than yours he just does not belive that the sti ppp does 0-60 in under 5sec when he says his does it in 5.2!
Old 28 January 2006, 02:56 AM
SteveColvin
Scooby Newbie

SDPP, you haven't clearly stated exactly which 911 your Sti is being compared against... You did say it cost 65k, but when?

'Mine vs Yours' is always a fantastic debate no matter what the two cars involved are. I understand, but equally hate, the 'oh no, here we go again' prefix to the often argued 'Car A vs Car B' situation. Afterall it was one of the defining points of early Imprezas, ie. taking on supposed giants and winning.

The posts on other SN forums about sleepers are particulary germain because the early Imprezas were the original sleepers - no-one knew what the f**k they were - until they were a blazing dot in the horizon...

In that vein, I am always happy to give a bit of respect to the incumbent tuned cars of today, 'coz you just don't know what they've got...

A recent case in point being my last car, an MR FQ320... leaving a 40 limit at night with blazing headlamps up my ****, thinking, 'there ain't much going to get past this...' well, the Clio 182 was along-side before I even knew what the **** I was doing wrong. OK, I was caught off guard, but even with this pocket rocket along side, with me frantically finding a low enough gear with boost in it, I was awakened to the fact that it's not so much what you drive, but how you drive it that defines both you and your car's abilities.

I drove like a ****, caught and overtook said Clio, but to what avail?

Revel in the fact that you have a car that can hold station with a 911, regardless of the drivers' abilities and perhaps look forward to the day when holding off Imprezas in 'your' 911 is part of your own driving skill tutorial...

Steve.

Last edited by SteveColvin; 28 January 2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old 28 January 2006, 06:19 PM
scrappy doo puppy power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveColvin
SDPP, you haven't clearly stated exactly which 911 your Sti is being compared against... You did say it cost 65k, but when?

'Mine vs Yours' is always a fantastic debate no matter what the two cars involved are. I understand, but equally hate, the 'oh no, here we go again' prefix to the often argued 'Car A vs Car B' situation. Afterall it was one of the defining points of early Imprezas, ie. taking on supposed giants and winning.

The posts on other SN forums about sleepers are particulary germain because the early Imprezas were the original sleepers - no-one knew what the f**k they were - until they were a blazing dot in the horizon...

In that vein, I am always happy to give a bit of respect to the incumbent tuned cars of today, 'coz you just don't know what they've got...

A recent case in point being my last car, an MR FQ320... leaving a 40 limit at night with blazing headlamps up my ****, thinking, 'there ain't much going to get past this...' well, the Clio 182 was along-side before I even knew what the **** I was doing wrong. OK, I was caught off guard, but even with this pocket rocket along side, with me frantically finding a low enough gear with boost in it, I was awakened to the fact that it's not so much what you drive, but how you drive it that defines both you and your car's abilities.

I drove like a ****, caught and overtook said Clio, but to what avail?

Revel in the fact that you have a car that can hold station with a 911, regardless of the drivers' abilities and perhaps look forward to the day when holding off Imprezas in 'your' 911 is part of your own driving skill tutorial...

Steve.
it is a 05 911 with all the bits on it. but all i wanted to really know was how quick my sti ppp was on the 0-60 and 0-100 i have read some where that it is 4.6 to 60 just wanted to check. he just does not belive that the sti will do it under 5SEC when his does not