Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEC C.............................................

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2006, 08:13 PM
Martin WRX22
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SPEC C.............................................

May be in a position to be able to purchase a MY06 Spec C shortly.

What have you guys heard/read/experienced about said beast???.

Bought a brand new Evo 6 TME back in 2001, Loved it to bits, unfortunately my business went **** up, the car had to go & I went into bankruptcy. After 3 years I’ve managed to get my self turned round and under my accountants advice have been instructed to buy a new Car.

As my handle on here suggests I run a WRX and have done for the last 2 &1/2 years.

I always said after the Evo I promised my self I would get another but I’ve been happy with the Scooby and would like to stick to the brand.

I appreciate they haven’t been out long but if I could get a little feed back form anybody with any spec C experience I would be grateful.

Last edited by Martin WRX22; 20 January 2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 20 January 2006, 09:15 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

all the feedback on them that i have heard has been very positive - i guarentee it will feel lightyears ahead of your curent wrx
Old 20 January 2006, 09:23 PM
rallycross PUG
Scooby Regular

Not sure about My06 but can tell you that a 2004 Spec C with the Lichfiedl /Powerstation ECU/Exhaust is a fantastic car except for the suspension being too hard / too high.

Have now fitted Type 25 12 way AST adjustable suspension and its fantastic.
340 bhp / 360 lb ft, instant response, quicker than any other turbo car I've driven (except 996 tt).

Malke sure you get e/windoes and aircon though...

Last edited by rallycross PUG; 20 January 2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 20 January 2006, 09:28 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=482217

Mog
Old 20 January 2006, 09:56 PM
ninjacost
Scooby Regular

Got 03 spec c ra got to say it's fab ,very sharp handling,ballistic acceleration, fairly discreet with low spoiler,ride is hard but much improved with tyre change from reo70's ,not many creature comforts to keep weight down eg No electric windows,central locking,ashtray,pass sun visor,boot trim,minimal sound proofing not sure how it compares with 06 on equipment but must say i don't miss any of it apart from boot release ! lol,this is my 4th scoob and must say it's the best iv'e owned better even than p1 i had and i loved that ,.................ps whites the colour to go for
Old 21 January 2006, 09:23 AM
Martin WRX22
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
all the feedback on them that i have heard has been very positive - i guarentee it will feel lightyears ahead of your curent wrx

I appreciate what you’re saying there mate about the WRX being light years behind the Spec C, but the WRX is light years behind the Evo 6 TME I ran and loved , apart from all the problems I suffered with it!!!!!!!!!!!.

Warped Discs on 1200 miles

Wheel Bearings 1400 miles & again 2000 miles later

Various Paint defects after 3 weeks of taking delivery.

A Defective battery after 5 weeks, that was the catalyst for it been stolen. Only to be found 6 mins later by the OB helicopter thanks to the Tracker.

Got it up to 390 BHP though & loved every mile in it.

Apexi Boost controller being my favourite in car toy for it.
Old 21 January 2006, 09:27 AM
Martin WRX22
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, **** poor fuel tank range
Old 21 January 2006, 09:42 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya Martin,

Im probably THE longest owner of a Spec C (twinscroll) on here so ill give you what i can

Right, the suspension is a little harder than a normal STi but it is also very absorbant, the car does have a tendancy to tramline, mainly due to the marks the trucks leave on the road, if you dont get these then she wont tramline at all/as much.
You get a 50ltr fuel tank and an average of 25mpg on a long run, so take that into account as you may well need a shell card
You also dont get much in the way of boot lining, ie bare painted metal, though you do get a 12ltr intercooler water spray tank, id fill it up with de-ionised water otherwise you get deposits on your intercooler (water from a dehumidifier does the job )
Driving wise, nothing comes close its just either a total ***** cat or an animal, the 06 will have a high level spoiler but the 03-05's come with a low level spoiler as standard on a 17 inch version, a real sleeper as most think its a wrx
Ive had no real problems except the alternator and that was self inflicted (dont wash your engine bay!!)
All in all, eats M3's for breakfast, total sleeper, dont bin the RE070's or you will loose out in the handling department, they are no where near as bad as people make them out to be, im on my second set now though getting hold of the 235/45/17's may be a pain (Iain Litchfield?)
Mine still runs on jap spec fuel (not remapped at all, standard exhaust and an STi panel filter, 315bhp 331lbs of torque and the 05/06 cars have revised manifold etc for more power )
Try A plan for insurance, they do mine
Treat yourself, though if you can get to drive one first it may either make or break the deal, depending on how you like your fillings

Tony
Old 21 January 2006, 11:09 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin,

All in all it has been THE quickest A to B car I have ever had the pleasure of owning (MY03 SPEC C). While Tony likes to state he has probably owned one the longest, I probably have the 1st SPEC C that was ever imported in to this country!

Since you have come from a previous TME, then you won't mind the slightly (and I do mean slightly) harsher ride than a normal STI.... but if you buy a MY06 SPEC C, this will not be an issue (as the 06 Model, has more grip than the 03-05 model, yet is as compliant as a normal STI).

If you get a good SPEC C, the handling is second to none.

Obviously others above have outlined what they don't come with (as regards to extras's, but with the 06 models all extras can be spec'ed). My personal opinion is keep them raw, as that was the original purpose, but that is down to personal taste.

Your best bet is to get a test drive.

BTW.... In the 22k miles my car has done, NOTHING has ever gone wrong on it.

If you look at the official articles forum, you will see my SPEC C is used as the base car for the modifications section (with a fairly hefty write-up of what is what).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 21 January 2006, 11:39 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

In answer to your question I have a MY06 Spec C having had a classic and a number of drives in an Evo VI.

As a Scoob is much less like a classic and much more Evo like. The chassis is very stiff although this enables the most recent suspension set up to be more compliant.

Handling is very sharp, with turn-in much more Evo like than previous understeery Scoobs.

I got my car from Iain Litchfield and with the Miltek exhaust and UK map it is putting out 345/340 on BP Ultimate. It will run better on SnottyMax it is just that on the day there was no fuel available locally. Expect 355bhp from the standard engine.

The twinscroll is superbly responsive - just like the rest of the car.

All in all an very driveable car that is very responsive when you want it to be.

Oh, and I run it on RE070s as supplied and I get on with them very well come sun, rain or shine. Snow was a bit dodgy but hey they are 235 wide!

Try one I am sure you will love it and it is well worth getting the remap done.

Rannoch
Old 21 January 2006, 12:47 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Martin your best bet is to have a test drive in one.I did over christmas and it blew me away raw in some departments which I can live with.The handling with the T20/25 whiteline kit fitted was unreal as I have said in an earlier post Ian Litchfield will be getting an order of me very soon.
Old 21 January 2006, 02:18 PM
p1stew
Scooby Regular

I also have the pleasure in having a Spec C with all the T20 goodies on. Can't praise the car highly enough.

Done 7K miles since october as it's my company car and no problems whatsoever.

Just be aware that there'll be nowhere to hang your coat in the back !

All front seat passengers must carry sun glasses at all times ( no passenger side sun visor ) !!

And you'll be using your key to enter the boot as and when req'd ( no remote ).

Just waiting for the uprated AP racing brakes to be fitted to fronts ( meant new 18" wheels and tyres )and HID conversion to main beam and the jobs done.

After that i cant think of another car that will touch it for the money.

So i'll be on track as soon as i can to see what it'll really do

hope this helps

PS. far better car than the P1 i had previously, better screwed together and far quicker and has loads more grip.

You won't regret it if you do
Old 21 January 2006, 06:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I should add that the service intervals are as per the classics. 6 month/7.5k miles, just to let you know so you wont get a shock

Tony
Old 21 January 2006, 06:50 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Tony,

That's an oil change every 5k with normal servicing every 10k.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 21 January 2006, 06:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Shaun,

The Service book states 10k km or 6 months, 20k per 12 months, or 7.5k mile intervals, though my japanese aint brill and i dont normally get to 7.5k in 6 months, mine works out more like 5k miles anyway

Tony
Old 21 January 2006, 07:05 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

The above I quoted is just what LitchField Imports state for their warranty and service schedule.

In any case... it isn't an EVO wallet busting experience.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 21 January 2006, 08:51 PM
chocolate charlie
Scooby Regular

i've had mine 3 weeks now so haven't run in yet. but so far goes well with pick up from very low down. Desperate to crack it it open!!! Only two things i'm worried about so far
1) you can here everything the turbo, wastegate, etc do which was a little disconcerting at first
2) the lack of underseal in the arches
colin
Old 22 January 2006, 09:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by chocolate charlie
i've had mine 3 weeks now so haven't run in yet. but so far goes well with pick up from very low down. Desperate to crack it it open!!! Only two things i'm worried about so far

1) you can here everything the turbo, wastegate, etc do which was a little disconcerting at first
Yes you can hear everything, the nice turbo whistle etc its acutally a nice sound, sounds better on full chant though no burble, just rally car style (which is nicer )

Originally Posted by chocolate charlie
2) the lack of underseal in the arches
colin
These cars dont come with any form of underseal, you can get it done for a small price (cost me about 140 quid) so its not bank breaking

Tony
Old 22 January 2006, 09:32 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

My 7th Impreza is an 06 Spec C and its the best one yet apart from having to explain the roof vent to people
Old 23 January 2006, 04:07 PM
Martin WRX22
Scooby Regular

That`s it then people.

Looks like a trip to see it in the flesh & venture out in one.

Many thanks for all your help comments.

Just to let you know i changed the suspension on the TME after a couple of months to a ajustable Cusco suspension set. Was`nt happy with how the car felt at high speed, felt a little light on the steering when somebody dorve it at 165 leaving Hull on the M62 (felt like it was going to flip over ).

Souns like the Spec C is the natural successor to the Evo then guys.
Old 23 January 2006, 06:14 PM
Scooby Regular

I had the very great pleaseure of a good hard short blast in the Litchfield's black demo car that eventually went to the Tuner GP.
It was between hill climb runs at Prescott so just got out of my Sti v3 380 x 350 AST's etc etc.even still in my racing suit! (poser), but brain in 'flat-out' mode too.
That Spec C was just so bloody fantastic.

The whole package is put together by like minded engineers (inc Ian Lichfield and Co) and it shows/feels/tweeks the senses etc, just so good and I want one.

Anyone who can afford one and enjoy it is very fortunate and should go there and savour.

Ballistic.

Graham
Old 23 January 2006, 06:53 PM
RobHardy
Scooby Regular

do they do good finance packages on the spec c's? and are they imports (though im of the understandin that you still get uk warrantys now?)
Old 23 January 2006, 06:54 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by webmaster
I probably have the 1st SPEC C that was ever imported in to this country!

Regards,
Shaun.
That must have been Litchfields demo car back in Feb/Mar 2003? If so, I test drove that car
Old 23 January 2006, 07:32 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobHardy
do they do good finance packages on the spec c's? and are they imports (though im of the understandin that you still get uk warrantys now?)
Not certain if Litchfield's do finance but the Spec C is def an import. Pick mine up this week hopefully.
Old 23 January 2006, 09:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobHardy
It's the wrong kind of import to get that warranty - it is not a Euro import but straight from Japan.

Iain provides a twelve month warranty that I understand can be extended. It is not a Subaru warranty but an third party insured warranty.

There are many sources of finance for a car of this value - your bank might be the cheapest. Direct Line do balloon payment finance for your own purchases. Shop around.