regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 09:52 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regrets?

Do you regret buying your scooby?

had my STI ppp for 1 1/2 years now and im bored of it really, its useless!

Ok good points!

-It handles really well on the back roads for the grin factor!
-sounds good
-gets lots of positive attention
-looks really good (for me anyway)

now the bad points

-its does 17mpg everywhere
-its going to take my liscense away from me
-the seats dont grip you enough
-theyre far too heavy and you really feel it sometimes
-which also means the power-to-weight os rubbish so straight line speed is aweful
-brakes arent exactly excellant
-the abs cuts in too early
-it understeers like a b*stard (i know this can be fixed) which makes its constant switching of handling from front to rear grip means its off putting
-The steering wheel is to big
-The wheels are aweful
-And the fooking doors are too easily dented hence why im writing this!

just a rant cos the girlfriend just thinks its 'a nice colour'

is anyone else dissappointed? Wish they'd bought something else? or can add to thelists above?

id wish i'd bought a classic sti something i didnt mine denting, something a bit quicker in a straight line, for less money and used it only for weekends i.e. like bikers do on a sunday morning, and bought myself a diesel barge for the daily commute
Old 19 January 2006, 10:01 AM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by automodellistagt

Ok good points!

-sounds good

now the bad points

-which also means the power-to-weight os rubbish so straight line speed is aweful
-it understeers like a b*stard (i know this can be fixed) which makes its constant switching of handling from front to rear grip means its off putting
-The wheels are aweful

is anyone else dissappointed? Wish they'd bought something else? or can add to thelists above?

id wish i'd bought a classic sti something i didnt mine denting, something a bit quicker in a straight line, for less money and used it only for weekends i.e. like bikers do on a sunday morning, and bought myself a diesel barge for the daily commute
Never heard of an STI PPP's straight line spead described as awful

What did you have before?

If I felt like that i'd sell it.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:01 AM
shippy
Scooby Regular

The grin factor for me is everything about the car

Although i do throw a wobbler everytime a new dent appears on the door My girlfriend says, "it was already there", but you just know it wasn't

I dont care about the fuel part, if it went up to 2 quid a litre id still keep the scoob, their great cars
Old 19 January 2006, 10:07 AM
RedRexWRX
Scooby Regular

Ok good points!

-sounds good

now the bad points

-The wheels are aweful

Petrol!!!!!!! what were u expecting...
License will be ok if your a sensible driver and not a bat outa hell.
The seats grip me perfectly dispite the design. lol (classic)
You bought a heavier model..
As for the brakes, steering wheel and wheels most people change them anyway

Learn from your mistake and buy a classic and an import.

Your prob just having a bad day with the dints as i am but you`ll get over it, and be loving it again...
Old 19 January 2006, 10:12 AM
RedRexWRX
Scooby Regular

Oh, and no i dont regret buying my scoob. What i do regret is the fact i have just worked out how much petrol i have put in over the year and a half of ownership and it comes out to a nice total of £4620.00
Old 19 January 2006, 10:13 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by asagi
Never heard of an STI PPP's straight line spead described as awful

What did you have before?

If I felt like that i'd sell it.
mine is a PPP so about 300? more like 280ish so bhp per tonne is 190

my mates 175 bhp mk3 mr2 is as fast untill we get into silly speeds. The onyl difference is he looks gay driving his car

LOL my personal car before the scooby was a 1.6 auto scenic (company car and no funds after uni) so yes the scooby was fantastic when i first got it. The car is as fast as my dad's (now crashed) 4.0 TVR chrimeara but after being in E46 m3's, being blasted past by a friends R33 gts-t (which was running really badly), stomped upon by a friends WRX, and now my mates sh*tty hairdressers car

with regard to selling it theres no point its only worth 12K now and id personally prefer to crash it then sell it this early

my problem is that its too exspensive to run as an everyday car and not quick enough for a ***** out weekend car
Old 19 January 2006, 10:19 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedRexWRX
Petrol!!!!!!! what were u expecting...
License will be ok if your a sensible driver and not a bat outa hell.
The seats grip me perfectly dispite the design. lol (classic)
You bought a heavier model..
As for the brakes, steering wheel and wheels most people change them anyway

Learn from your mistake and buy a classic and an import.

Your prob just having a bad day with the dints as i am but you`ll get over it, and be loving it again...
the seats in the newage are not as grippy as the old ones... the recaros in my little RST are far better (although you blooming need them, wallowing scary hippo of a car)

bought the heavier model cos of a)finance b) safety and c)wanted a new car

and yes i would die to own an sti type-ra or even better a type-r!
Old 19 January 2006, 10:25 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I have no regrets i find it's a great car with a brilliant drive, exhilarating acceleration, decent cornering ability, great noise and with option to upgrade pretty much everything! Even the cost of running it doesn't bother me as it's just so much fun. I think it will take me a long while and a lot of cash to get bored with my scoob
Old 19 January 2006, 10:30 AM
shippy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
I have no regrets i find it's a great car with a brilliant drive, exhilarating acceleration, decent cornering ability, great noise and with option to upgrade pretty much everything! Even the cost of running it doesn't bother me as it's just so much fun. I think it will take me a long while and a lot of cash to get bored with my scoob

Here here
Old 19 January 2006, 10:32 AM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

I agree as above. My02 sti PPP. Lovely looking sounds awesome. Refined when needed and f*cking fast when needed. Cant see me gettin bored TBH.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:35 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've only owned mine for about 3 months now. Whilst i dont regret it (yet?) i certainly don't have the passion & love i had for my 280bhp Classic. Mind you, i was young and an out & out rally nerd then.

Maybe it's old age? And if i get the pennies together for the TSL333 / WRC350, then i may get that love back, but for now, it's just a car, a car i'm super paranoid about.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:48 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
you see maybe i get bored too easily since i think my ERST is more fun to drive. Granted its not as quick round corners and not as fast in a straight line (yet ) but it is more fun to drive. Might all change when my wage changes and i treat myself to some tuning...... or a GTR

One of the things i think is that the Newage is too refined.... my dad used to say that because of the looks, and the sound of the V8 and the crap handling, you could drive and have fun in the TVR at 30 mph. Also take a corner at 50 in either the ERST or TVR and you hold on by the seat of your pants praying that you had done more with your life, painted a self-portrait perhaps, where as the scooby takes it at 70 and goes 'yeah, what?'

Last edited by automodellistagt; 19 January 2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:57 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Ok good points!

-sounds good

now the bad points

-The wheels are aweful

We've had our 2001 model for 9 months now, which also has PPP, yes theres the fuel side of it, but you don't just have to have a scoob to complain about fuel usage these days.
We aren't disappointed at all with ours, yes we have had damage done to ours by others which in that sense is disappointing as it's basically your pride and joy.
As for the wheels are awful, in what way??? If you dont like the standard wheels then change em, we still have the standard ones on, only because we haven't started changing anything on the car yet, we don't find them a prob. The car won't take your licence away, you will if you end up bombing up and down the roads and being an idiot driver, you can still drive sensibly in it without going to the extreme to lose your licence.As for the seats, well we think they are the most comfortable seats so far that we have ever had in a car, but suppose it also depends on what size you are.We don't find it 'heavy',I'd say more 'safe' than heavy.Change the steering wheel if it's too big then, thats what happens with most people aswell, I don't think there was one car we ever had where the 1st thing to be changed was the steering wheel.And finally if your brakes aren't excellent I'd suggest you get them checked out.
Well that was my rant, but each to their own I suppose.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:01 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Also take a corner at 50 in either the ERST or TVR and you hold on by the seat of your pants praying that you had done more with your life, painted a self-portrait perhaps, where as the scooby takes it at 70 and goes 'yeah, what?'
I can see where your coming from, I think it's down to the driver's style and attitude as well as your own and your car's ability and how well you appreciate the dynamics of the vehicle. Personally I don't want to be scared for my wits round most corners, so the scoob can accomodate that, but if i want to get lairy, a cheecky flick or the wheel can induce a nice power slide and get the adrenalin pumping in accordance.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:04 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Julz1983
We've had our 2001 model for 9 months now, which also has PPP, yes theres the fuel side of it, but you don't just have to have a scoob to complain about fuel usage these days.
We aren't disappointed at all with ours, yes we have had damage done to ours by others which in that sense is disappointing as it's basically your pride and joy.
As for the wheels are awful, in what way??? If you dont like the standard wheels then change em, we still have the standard ones on, only because we haven't started changing anything on the car yet, we don't find them a prob. The car won't take your licence away, you will if you end up bombing up and down the roads and being an idiot driver, you can still drive sensibly in it without going to the extreme to lose your licence.As for the seats, well we think they are the most comfortable seats so far that we have ever had in a car, but suppose it also depends on what size you are.We don't find it 'heavy',I'd say more 'safe' than heavy.Change the steering wheel if it's too big then, thats what happens with most people aswell, I don't think there was one car we ever had where the 1st thing to be changed was the steering wheel.And finally if your brakes aren't excellent I'd suggest you get them checked out.
Well that was my rant, but each to their own I suppose.
i know you can change stuff but not really my point....

but thanks for your comments
Old 19 January 2006, 11:05 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I must admit there is some power to kick out when you put your foot down, many times my hubby puts his foot down and I leave my ar$e in the back, but it's down to you and your driving as to whether you feel safe or not, if you don't feel safe when putting your foot down then you shouldn't have a powerful car as it will cause an accident if you are scared of the car.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:07 AM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

I love the way its classed as slow in a straight line!! I agree 0-60 in 4 and a bit seconds and keeps pulling up to around 150. I had a dual carriage way run of a roundabout with an e46 m3 and from 20 to 130 we were neck and neck. That is very slow I must say. Have a look on the top gear laptimes and see what cars are above a 20k scoob sti? its horses for courses and id rather have an enzo but......
Old 19 January 2006, 11:09 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ninjaguppy
id rather have an enzo but......
But............you haven't won the lottery either I know the feeling
Old 19 January 2006, 11:10 AM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

exactly. For around 12 grand you cant go faster with the looks,refinement quality etc etc. Cue a thousand replies of my 20p car does 500mph. You get my point. I love my car!!
Old 19 January 2006, 11:13 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

LOL@ my 20p car does 500mph, well it does if you are a chav apparently
I don't think we would go back to having another car unless we really had to get rid because of having no job or financial probs, this is our 2nd scooby in about 2-3 years, if I have my way the other half will be getting a 3rd at some point
Old 19 January 2006, 11:20 AM
WJB
Scooby Regular

Regret buying my RB5?... Errrr nope
Old 19 January 2006, 11:21 AM
Chachi
Scooby Regular

Regrets ...
I've had a few ...
But then again ...
To few to mention ...

Main regret is that I didn't buy it earlier, wasted loads of money before on TVR's looking for big thrills. But have to say that the Scoobs puts a nice big smile on my face every time I drive it.

Plus you've got to remember that it massive bang for bucks value!
Old 19 January 2006, 11:22 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Cars are becoming quite heavy, its just how its going right now.

For example:

WRX: 1410kg
Focus ST: 1392kg
Astra VXR: 1393kg
Leon CR: 1376kg

All the airbags, air con, abs, big wheels etc etc all add up!

Now the Honda Civic Type R is a good example of how to do it - 1204kg, thats 200kg less than a WRX!

Just look back at the old Golf GTi and Pug 205Gti, they were about 900kg IIRC.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:27 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

I think you just 'want a change' and your doing the classic 'man' justification building up steam - 'softly' distorting the facts to justify the £5k it's going to cost to change it...nothing wrong with that it's how we men are!!..but it'll be the same again in another 18months...but it's all good fun!!

Could be worse you could be an alchoholic...now that really is pissing away good money...

That said...

I love my scooby but I'll always have a special place in my heart from my classic 911 - that took WORK to drive it super fast - but that REALLY WAS a fast car...I won't go into details but I KNOW
Old 19 January 2006, 11:28 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ninjaguppy
I love the way its classed as slow in a straight line!! I agree 0-60 in 4 and a bit seconds and keeps pulling up to around 150. I had a dual carriage way run of a roundabout with an e46 m3 and from 20 to 130 we were neck and neck. That is very slow I must say. Have a look on the top gear laptimes and see what cars are above a 20k scoob sti? its horses for courses and id rather have an enzo but......
you ever tried a 0-60? you could get it into the high 4's.... if you dont mind smashing your rear diff. For the record (not starting a debate) there is no way MY car could keep up with an e46 M3 in a straight line. Maybe im down on power?

I know the newages handle well out of the box, and even better with about£500 of mods. I personally think the newage is too heavy, too refined and not fast enough compared to a classic STi. A rally car rep should not be refined IMO
Old 19 January 2006, 11:29 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

oh im not argueing before im flamed...

im debating
Old 19 January 2006, 11:35 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 STi is my second Scoob and I've NEVER regreted either of them. At my age (won't see 60 again!) I find myself getting more concious of the unfortunate image that has developed and I get a bit frustrated, I have to admit. With retirement (early, I hope) looming I can't afford another new one, so what on Earth could I replace it with!!
JohnD Sti PPP springs 18's ARB+links instrumentation Much better sound system - NO soppy stickers or stripes - just clean!
Old 19 January 2006, 11:37 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Master Debator in the making

They give you these refinements else there would be no market for the car. It's all about progressing and to add safety measures, which is now a scrutinised variable in car purchase, means there will be extra bulk to the car. To combat this you could get yourself a Spec C or strip it down to your personal taste or enjoy them and hike the power ( my chosen route as it's my main car, all be it not a daily driver)
Old 19 January 2006, 11:39 AM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

And there was me thinking this was going to be a 'Regret selling your Scooby' thread

Would regret selling mine, but wouldnt if it was to buy another one, a STI Wagon maybe, it is on my wish list to own one day, wouldnt regret buying another scooby no
Old 19 January 2006, 11:46 AM
New_scooby_04

In a word , No :-)

Reason: it's easy to get caught up in the whole: am I really getting the best out of the car sufficently frequently to justify the big insurance, fuel bills etc.... but then do what I did yesterday in my MY99 and get on a twisty B road and put your foot down in third and keep it there and.........

Oh my gawd, it's actually eating up the road ....... and would you just listen to that noise

After that, you park up, let it cool down and reflect on the fact that you've just taken a challenging route at speeds you wouldn't dream of in most other cars. Then you walk away, listening to it tick and ping, you look over your shoulder and just know that you could not settle for less ever again.

NS04

Quick Reply: regrets?