ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New age model selection

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 12:51 PM
Duke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New age model selection

I am looking to replace my MY99 with a new model, but I have been out of touch, enjoying my car too much. Is there a review of the new age cars like the FAQ from SIDC? I found this very useful first time around, but it's not been updated for the new cars.

Thanks

Duke
Old 16 January 2006, 01:37 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Just buy a Spec C RA and you'll be fine
Old 16 January 2006, 07:33 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Good Question - and maybe this'll bring it to someones attention....

I've been out of Scoobys for 9 months now and its time I thought about getting back in - I'll have to start at the 'bottom' again though, as my scooby fund is well and truely expired after my 98 'obsession' !

I'd like to go for 03->, probably an STI - and I suspect UK, as I don't think that the same finance options are available on a Jap (which is a shame...)

I know very little about the newage cars though - A guide to give the differences between 03/04/05/06 would be V. useful

I'd search, but it appears to be duff'd !

Mark

PS _ Hello to anyone who remembers me
Old 17 January 2006, 05:25 PM
Duke
Scooby Regular

I did all to mods I wanted to do on MY99 and have not spent the time keeping up with the new age cars. Is the engine and drive chain basically the same though out the 2001 to 2006 range? Are the changes just to the look of the car?
There were several ECU changes to the Classic and my cars had the "good" 801, should I be looking for similar information?

Thanks

Duke
Old 17 January 2006, 11:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it depends on how much you have to spend

The Bugeye STi is probably the best bargain at the moment

Shaun
Old 18 January 2006, 08:10 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Duke and markwild, your both welcome to come down to the smacs rolling road at Prosport on Feb 18th. Once there, you'll see all types of newage cars, from scoobydans 02 sti, to tonyburns 03 spec c. If you want a newer car than that, then the 04 cars were not much different to 03 cars, with tweaks to the suspension being the main difference. The 05's on the otherhand, had a major overhaul, with a wider and longer track, different wheel hubs, and spec c type settings on the suspension. Then of course came the 06, again with much better suspension, and the uk model getting the 2.5 litre engine. Prices range from 12k for a very good 02, all the way up to 27k for a fully specced up 06 sti.
Take your pick
Hope to see you both at a smacs meet when you finally get your cars.
But while your deciding, have a read of this

chris.
Old 18 January 2006, 08:02 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info - You're motor looks very smart and the powerstation guys seem to have given it an extra bit

I went down to powerstation / litchfield-motors after I 'lost' the classic - just after the 06 came out - but I think its a bit of a stretch money wise for me to get one.... (And I'm too impatient to wait until I've saved up )

Looks like an 03 to start with, (and probably keep it standard (ish ) for the first year or so) - like I did with the classic, then a bit of Miltek and remap please ma'am.....

I won't (famous last words) be going as berserk as I did with the last one, as it started to cost more than I could maintain (particularly at 700 miles per week) - I don't regret it, but I should've held back until I could afford the six-speed box before going over 300lbs/ft really - would've saved 2 boxes and I'd still probably have it

Oh well, if I can just hold out a little longer and get a new one, I'm sure I'll be happy enough....

Thanks for the info - I'll try and get to one of the smacs meetings and/or the rr day (Can't believe I never got around to going when I had the classic....)

Cheers,

Mark

PS _ I suppose its only when you start to investigate mods that the 'real' differences come up, like ECU type, MAF type, injector sizes etc ?
Old 18 January 2006, 08:52 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Lichfields is a great place to go and look, but no way I can afford anything there just yet
Hope to see you at a meet when you get your new motor, and at the rr in the meantime.
I think on the later cars, ecu, mafs ect are less different to one another.
chris.