Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo mag/ C4/Sti-not/Evo/RS-4--What?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2006, 05:20 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo mag/ C4/Sti-not/Evo/RS-4--What?

Whats with Evo?

Past years there was never so much as a mention of any sort of inability- only ability, on the part of 911's with 4WD, both 911 turbos and 996 C4S's were praised to the high heavens every few months. And now, we find that the new C4 is a right handfull, so what if it is? Is this an insight about rear-engine configuations and 4Wd- does this make the rear-engine design at fault? Well if one were to use their noggin and read past issues, the answer would be no it does not. They positively loved many 911 4WD's! So why do they imply the notion of a 4Wd porsche is now flawed? When indeed from all past accounts it is not? I think they believe their audience is either stupid or has poor memory- they might very well be right.

And what of the Mitsubishi- the mitsu was consistently defeated by the sti and litchfeild versions- usually to the effect of the subaru is more communicative and easier to read/predict on limit? And now the sti does not even get a shot? Why? Is its 4WD system suddenly antiquated?

And what of the Audi UrQ- they said its the most stable and reassuring 4WD car they've driven- does that not deserve some mention- at least as an old reference? Does this not contradict the words they always speak about front-engine Audis being flawed by heavy front weight design?

And what of the Lambo -- nothing but praise all day long, and again not given a shot.

If your going to do a piece on the comparison of 4WD cars, why not do it right? It like the effort simply isn't worth it for them anymore.

Evo's great for blips of insight, sometimes (usually Barker) they will discover handling characteristics that no one else can- especially Autocar, but usually they are little better than Autocar, spending their effort arranging the cars, getting the photo work and hotel arrangements together. And now they mostly rely on there new guy Bovington who has not a whif of the experience of either Meaden or Barker.

Someone please start a new car journal!
Old 15 January 2006, 07:06 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

yes, it's got all very fancy pants. I blame electronic Traction control myself - allows all kinds of flawed chassy crap to handle amazingly without any real driving skills.

Have you read practical performance mag - they have some real nuts and bolts tech and some rare but achievable motors in there...
Old 15 January 2006, 07:28 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Flynn,

What I want is a magazine that doesn't have a problem simply having 2 or 3 top drivers grabing 4 or 5 (not 20!) top handling cars, some which are direct competitors of one another and some which are different; and then driving the ***** off them on demanding roads for a few days. And next spending a few pages describing the subtle differences in handlng characteristics.

Is that really too hard to do? I say bring us a new journal of cars some rich person please.