Sponsored by:

Rallying in an impreza

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2006, 10:46 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rallying in an impreza

Has anyone taken their impreza on a rally - either just down a forest course for a bit of fun or even in a proper contest...after all that's what they are supposed to be built for ( in a limited road car/performance driving kind of way)

I'm just wondering how tough they are in those circumstances - are you likely to knock the tracking out on the potholes, break a driveshaft or bugger something more serious ?
Old 11 January 2006, 10:58 AM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Has anyone taken their impreza on a rally - either just down a forest course for a bit of fun or even in a proper contest...after all that's what they are supposed to be built for ( in a limited road car/performance driving kind of way)

I'm just wondering how tough they are in those circumstances - are you likely to knock the tracking out on the potholes, break a driveshaft or bugger something more serious ?
careful you might get it dirty
Old 11 January 2006, 11:03 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

You do not own a rally car
Very fe parts are a direct derrivative from the WRC cars, to achieve their spec you have a lot of "beefing up" to do!
Old 11 January 2006, 11:06 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

try it and let us know with pic's
Old 11 January 2006, 11:19 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

I'm just wondering how tough they are in those circumstances - are you likely to knock the tracking out on the potholes, break a driveshaft or bugger something more serious ?[/quote]

Yea. You will probably bugger something more serious. Like the entire car.

There was an interesting thread a while back with pictures about what it takes to make a group N impreza. Needless to say it takes a lot. Spot welding all the seams for a start. If you see the pictures you will know what i meen. The cars we drive are not that similar to the rally versions to be honest they are only there for homologation reasons or something like that.
Old 11 January 2006, 11:30 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

On that advice : Seems like I'l stick to watching the nova boys do it - they obviously don't seem to mind the before and after handling dynamics of an hour in the forest driving through potholes at 80mph...

(no disrespect meant to nova drivers - it's just you DO do this kind of thing in our area!)
Old 11 January 2006, 12:28 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Marshall on any forest rally and you will normally get to drive through the stage to your marshalling point, if that is a fair way through the stage it can be fun on the way in, BUT it will be rutted after the cars have driven through and not worth taking risks on the way out.

I have done this many times in different cars with no adverse effects. Also remeber trees don't move and you also look a complete tw&t if you have to get a tow truck to get you out a ditch..

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2006, 01:08 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Marshall on any forest rally and you will normally get to drive through the stage to your marshalling point, if that is a fair way through the stage it can be fun on the way in, BUT it will be rutted after the cars have driven through and not worth taking risks on the way out.

I have done this many times in different cars with no adverse effects. Also remeber trees don't move and you also look a complete tw&t if you have to get a tow truck to get you out a ditch..
Sounds cool - How do you get involved ? - I live in North Yorkshire and we always got rallies screaming through our forests...I'd love to do some marshalling - even just for the fun of doing the marshalling....
Old 11 January 2006, 01:43 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Join any good motor club, there are loads in Yorkshire. Try the one that organises the trackrod rally. look on

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/conten...bSearch%2Easpx

You have some of the best rally stages in the country on your doorstep. Marshalling is a good way of spectating on rallies as you get to drive to where you want to watch and take a stove for a brew... Down sides are you have to get there early..really early..
Old 11 January 2006, 01:44 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I think from memory there is one M5 starlock washer used both on my STi and a WRC car....... although in fairness its made from a different material on the WRC car

Gary
Old 11 January 2006, 01:52 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

When I did a Rally Day (basic figure of eight stuff on loose gravel) I asked if there was anywhere i could take my own car & have a go ...the guys recommended here:

www.rally-drive.com
Old 11 January 2006, 01:55 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

i m going doing a rally course in an impreza in feb.best ragging somebody elses wrx than my own.will post pics and opinion on soon as done.girlfriend got it me 4 birthday,think it was about 200 quid so not that bad for 5 hrs of lunacy in someone elses car!!
Old 11 January 2006, 02:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I think from memory there is one M5 starlock washer used both on my STi and a WRC car....... although in fairness its made from a different material on the WRC car

Gary
Headlamps, rear lamps and Emblems are always the same.....

Old 11 January 2006, 02:23 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Headlamps, rear lamps and Emblems are always the same.....

not for the bug eyes
http://www.swrt.com/86147.html
Old 11 January 2006, 02:56 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Some great info here - thanks guys...