Ipod Nano and the scooby

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2006, 02:13 PM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod Nano and the scooby

Hi

I have just bought a cassette adaptor so I can plug an ipod into the scoob. The problem is the first one I bought simply ejected itself as the stereo thought the tape was at the end. The second one worked fine yesterday, then got in the car this morning and……..nothing!!!

Does anyone else use a cassette adaptor to run an ipod in a car (or specifically a 05 scooby), if so which one? Are there any other methods (cheap) that I can try?

Thanks
DAN

Last edited by silverscoobydan; 10 January 2006 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling, doh
Old 10 January 2006, 02:15 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

get an itrip and bin the hard line (cost about £15) - it plays it through the FM radio - It's a really sweet piece of kit...but of course it also means passengers can sit with it in their grubby mits and dictate the soundtrack from the back seats
Old 10 January 2006, 02:16 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Dan

I don't know if this is an option but I'd ask for your money back and go for the icelink>plus from Dension. They are about 100 quid but your ipod's then hardwired into your stereo and the sound quality is much, much better.

Cheers
Kav

PS - edited to say Apple don't do an itrip for the nano (yet)
Old 10 January 2006, 02:23 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
Hi Dan

I don't know if this is an option but I'd ask for your money back and go for the icelink>plus from Dension. They are about 100 quid but your ipod's then hardwired into your stereo and the sound quality is much, much better.

Cheers
Kav
Ice link does not work with the nano.

Just get a new head unit with ipod adaptor. Can get all this for £135. I just did it in birds car and it was a good sony headunit to.

I bought an FM transmitter like the itrip and it is total ****. In post back to seller as we speak.

Cassette adapters commonly have these problems with ejecting tapes plus the quality is pants.

The ice link is only an FM modulator anyway so the only way to get top quality sound is either new head unit that takes ipod connection. If your current headunit has a jack / aux input on the front you can connect straight to it but unfortunately the subaru headunit dosent.

As said before, if you want top sound quality I would replace the head unit and get an ipod adaptor for it. Check out autoleads website you can get a sony headunit and adapter for £135.
Old 10 January 2006, 02:39 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

If money is clearly no longer such an issue I'd personally recommend an Alpine (£139) with the true integrated Alpine Ipod interface (£60) - then you can bring up all your playlists, scroll and search etc on the headunit itself leaving your ipod nicely hidden and in a place it won't get scratched to crap.......and maybe a nice new 30gig ipod 5G...

And for what it's worth the Griffith Itrip gives just the same quality as FM radio on a high signal...I can't comment on any other FM transmitter...but on researching it is a little more than £15 for the nano!! it's £37..

http://www.podzone.co.uk/fm-transmit...for-ipod-nano/

Last edited by flynnstudio; 10 January 2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10 January 2006, 02:41 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

I agree - buy a new headunit and adaptor. I bought one of those radio signal transmitters at first but the sound quality (what u buy an mp3 player for) isn't the best. THEN i realised my headunit had connectors for my sub AND an audio device - much better. (cable was about £5)

Old 10 January 2006, 02:42 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

look on ebay they do a a cable for about £20 that fits in to the cd changer scocket if not the itrip very good
Old 10 January 2006, 02:44 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Seeing as the denon ice link cost £100 and the ice link plus costs £150 ( i think ). It makes more sense to get a new headunit as at least you can benefit from the improved sound quality when using the radio and playing back CD's as well.

The ice links connect directly to your attenna and takes over a radio frequency so for this reason will never be as good quality as a direct iPod connection. Plus you can easily take your new headunit with you when you change cars. You can take your ice link too buts if far more complicated to disconnect.

With regards to FM transmitters I would avoid them like the plague. They are crap quality when they work or at best as good as radio reception quality, but its hit or miss if they work anyway. I bought one for the Nano (XtremeMac Airplay 2 ) and as said b4 its going back. Totally and utterly pish.

There is another alternative at halfords called 'Drive and play'. Its connected like the ice link i.e FM modulator, but you get a separate screen to control the ipod from. It costs £150 but again it isnt compatible with the nano.

Check out the sony cdx-f550 ( i think its called cant remember ). You can get it with a ' connects 2 ' ipod adapter.

Hope this helps.
Old 10 January 2006, 03:10 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sgcooby
With regards to FM transmitters I would avoid them like the plague. They are crap quality when they work or at best as good as radio reception quality, but its hit or miss if they work anyway. I bought one for the Nano (XtremeMac Airplay 2 ) and as said b4 its going back. Totally and utterly pish.
I don't know this manufacturer they are obviously a load of sh*te judging by your experience...I have personal first hand long time ownership experience of the Griffith Itrip and it's a top quality item - it crystal clear sound and it works 100% everytime. It just works...and is of course totally portable so you can use it in other peoples cars or houses...

If £140 or £200 for a new headunit ain't in your budget then I wouldn't rule it out but obviously as has been outlined don't bother with the XtremeMac Airplay 2 but get the genuine Griffith Itrip...
Old 10 January 2006, 03:19 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ice link does not work with the nano.
It surely does. I bought it off the Apple webstore and I've got it installed in my 99 5 series. Works a treat.

Cheers
Kav
Old 10 January 2006, 03:21 PM
andybWRX
Scooby Newbie

I used to use a belkin tape adapter, it was a bit of struggle to get it to work, you need to really push it, for it to be recognised.

I've now changed to Apline headunit as other have suggested, which is much better quality than the standard unit.

Andy
Old 10 January 2006, 03:29 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

It surely does. I bought it off the Apple webstore and I've got it installed in my 99 5 series. Works a treat.

Cheers
Kav
Thats Halfords advice for you. Its still only an FM modulator though so not as good quality as a direct connect for the same price.
Old 10 January 2006, 03:38 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate - it's not a modulator. It's a cable patch with the BMW 17 pin connector on one end and the Dension heatshrinked box of trick on the other end. A small lead goes off to the nano holder. The setup allows you to use the remote buttons on the steering wheel and you get track and artist info on the radio dot matrix display.

Cheers
Kav

PS - edited to say £99 from Apple with free delivery.
Old 10 January 2006, 03:40 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Can anyone give me a link to the Alpine HUs??

I've got a Blaupunkt with an Ipod adaptor and it is a bit ****e - will only play playlists and even then it throws a benny and resets itself every so often...

I'd like to be able to search by alphabet for artists - is this definately possible on the cheaper Alpines?
Old 10 January 2006, 03:49 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate - it's not a modulator. It's a cable patch with the BMW 17 pin connector on one end and the Dension heatshrinked box of trick on the other end. A small lead goes off to the nano holder. The setup allows you to use the remote buttons on the steering wheel and you get track and artist info on the radio dot matrix display.

Cheers
Kav

PS - edited to say £99 from Apple with free delivery.
Again, I was going on the advice I received from Halfords. Just shows you.
I must admit though I was so impressed with the quality of the Headunit I got for the birds car that Im thinking about doing it in my scoob as the standard headunit is pants.
Old 10 January 2006, 03:57 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Halfords - bless 'em

They've got some real quality people and some not so quality people (like every big company I guess)

Cheers
Kav
Old 10 January 2006, 04:08 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Alpine Head unit Ipod interface - with advice on compatible head units...

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?i...el=&variation=
Old 10 January 2006, 04:22 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

you need one of these charges aswell

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorl...king_iPods.htm
Old 10 January 2006, 06:57 PM
topjimmy
Scooby Regular

If you still want a cassette adapter I use a Sony one which works fine in a 03 MY car and I don't think the head unit has changed at all.