Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disks burnt out by 15k (Is this warranty or not)

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2006, 08:10 PM
DAZZY J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disks burnt out by 15k (Is this warranty or not)

I have an 04 STI. Bought new in March 2004
I recently visited my local dealer to have some new pads fitted to the front as I thought I heard a slight grinding noise. I wasn't sure if it was just a bit of build up on the disk as the car has hardly been used since July, so I thought I'd get it checked out.
I was not happy when I walked away after paying the better part of £900 (after discount)
My front pads were low, my back pads I was informed were crumbling so they were changed also. The front disks were badly worn and had some heat cracks, so they were replaced.
Is this normal on a Brand new car which I have done just short of 15,000 sensible miles in over about 15 months. Does this mean that I can expect this bill every 15,000 miles.
Surely there is something wrong and it should be under warranty.
Can anyone advise or help?
Old 03 January 2006, 08:23 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

On MY02 STi PPP, the front pads were worn out at 15K, new pads were fitted which were worn out at 30K. New discs and pads then fitted along with rear pads.
You have been unlucky with your rear pads I would say, and as you are clearly driving hard then front pads every 15K is similar to myself.
On my MY98, MY99 and MY00 I destroyed the front discs on all those cars from new in 12 months, but they were replaced under warranty due to cracking, and at three different dealers.
The STi ones have faired a lot better, probably as I tend not to do high speed braking now, as the novelty has worn off (no pun intended.)

I think you might well have a legitimate claim for the front discs at that milaege as they haven't worn below their minimum thickness? but have cracked.

Cheers
MTR
Old 03 January 2006, 08:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I had my front discs replaced under warranty at 35k miles. Worn to below minimum and slightly warped, but they can reasonably be expected to last 3yr/60k
Old 04 January 2006, 07:17 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have changed my front pads 3 times and rear pads once in one year/13k
Old 04 January 2006, 08:19 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Okay, so mine's a MY00 classic, but I'm now on my third set of pads and front discs in about 40 000 miles (discs were cracked both times). Although it *might* have had something to do with the 5 or 6 trackdays/brisk driving through the Peaks/Wales
Might be looking at getting some more cooling air to the fronts.
Old 04 January 2006, 09:54 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cookstar
I have changed my front pads 3 times and rear pads once in one year/13k
I think you could do with changing your driving style mate Since I had some tuition from a Police Class 1 driver my brakes have a much easier life and my speeds have increased significantly
Old 04 January 2006, 10:45 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I think you could do with changing your driving style mate Since I had some tuition from a Police Class 1 driver my brakes have a much easier life and my speeds have increased significantly
yea, you have just been thru 3 gearboxes instead

Seriously, driver training does help improve speed, safety & mechanical sympathy (thou not at the Ring

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2006, 11:04 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

three things alarm me here -

Firstly £900 to change four disks and pads!!Parts can't of been more than £350 surely...change the next ones yourself mate!Then you know whats going on down there...

Secondly - if you heard a grinding noise your pads were probably down to the metal which is why you scored your discs to warrant replacing them...

Thirdly - if you've done 15K miles than at least 5k ago when you had your previous 10k service they should have inspected them and advised you that a change was imminent unless your driving very hard in which case you just need to keep an eye on them...
Old 04 January 2006, 11:16 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by DAZZY J
I have an 04 STI. Bought new in March 2004
I recently visited my local dealer to have some new pads fitted to the front as I thought I heard a slight grinding noise.
The slight grinding noise could possibly have been the 'pad wear indicaters'

A couple of strips of metal designed to rub against the disc when your pads wear to a certain limit.

Just for for your information,I sold an 03STi @ 30k,both pads and discs still had lots of life left in them.

Jon
Old 04 January 2006, 02:58 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

That is strange, my STi i have had from new has just hit 20K and the disks and pads are ok and I don't drive it like Mr Lewis.

To actually wear your disks out that fast (as opposed to just warping them) you either have really soft disks or you are braking too much too often.

Whats your driving style ?, would you say those 15k miles have been at high speed with lots of heavy braking ?
Old 04 January 2006, 04:45 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Had my disks replaced under warranty @28K, im not a 'brake' breaker (1st pads replaced @25k), mine started to 'suddenly' crack up, the dealer said that they had got in trouble from subaru before for charging for disks that had not made it to 60K, all i had to pay was for pads £97 (still expensive for pads).

Either subaru knew that disks on my batch of car were dodgy or the dealer put the wrong pads on (only 3k earlier) or they have a very good warranty

I would contact IM if you know that you didnt 'abuse' the car (such as good wear rate on pads)

Im a WRX PPP BTW

Simon

Last edited by BlueSimon; 04 January 2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04 January 2006, 06:11 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Wow
My Green wagon MY00 is coming up to 35K milaege and the pads will get swappwd at next service

so i think a driving course is your best value Mod with pads discs at 15K

and before you think I drive like a granny

I dont as most who follow me/ try to keep up with know :
Old 06 January 2006, 10:54 AM
DAZZY J
Scooby Regular

Default GOOD NEWS

Thanks for all your comments guys. All noted
My local dealer has now agreed a full refund. Via Subaru
Just waiting for it to clear back into my account and I'll be happy.
I must say though I am concerned about the life span of these disks and pads as I genuinely don't think that I have abused the car.
No Track days, but living in wales there are a lot of hills, stopping & starting.??
I will deffinately be keeping an eye on them from now on.
I don't fancy paying out for the next lot after 15K.
Having recently sold my Ferrari 355 after a few years ownership, the running costs of that are probably working out to be cheaper than the Scooby.
((for the record, the scooby will p*** all over the 355))
I have owned lots of quick cars, but the car to date that I have enjoyed driving most is the Scoob.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:06 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Hi

when I replaced my front disks & pads the dealer gave me fairly comprehensive printed list of how to bed them in properly by braking at different pressures & speeds over a period of time.

I have had no problems so far!

Is this a standard procedure?

Would also add that when looking after fleet cars the same people always appeared to have problems & they were the ones who had no 'machanical empathy' with there cars.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Hi

when I replaced my front disks & pads the dealer gave me fairly comprehensive printed list of how to bed them in properly by braking at different pressures & speeds over a period of time.

I have had no problems so far!

Is this a standard procedure?

Would also add that when looking after fleet cars the same people always appeared to have problems & they were the ones who had no 'machanical empathy' with there cars.
Yes there is a procedure to bedding in brakes (and clutches).

But very rarely do garages say exectly how you go about doing it - normally they say "just take it easy on the brakes/clutch" when they hand you the keys.

Good for them I say, as I'm sure many people would happily blame a garage or the car's build quality before blaming themselves

Indeed, with brakes and clucthes their life span, and very dependent on the way they are bedded in and how they are used long term. So mechanical sympathy does indeed play a big part in it.

I wonder how people with warped disks and crumbling pads regulary go 60mph to zero at the last minute (or very frequent last minute 40-0mph)then stay staitonary with their foot still held on the brake pedal?

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 January 2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAZZY J
which I have done just short of 15,000 sensible miles in over about 15 months. Does this mean that I can expect this bill every 15,000 miles.
Surely there is something wrong and it should be under warranty.
Can anyone advise or help?
I would strongly take issue with the 'sensible' word ....

I am on my original pads and discs .... at 65,000miles!!

Now, they were either ALL defective (highly unlikely) or you have driven like, well, you know!!

Pete