Sponsored by:

the same private plate on 2 cars

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2006, 10:19 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the same private plate on 2 cars

traded my car in for a my03sti back in november, dealer told me I could change the "53" plate to my private 555 plate straight away, as he would be at the dvla office within a matter of days. So, waited a few days, and changed the plate over. Got a reminder a few days later from RAC TRACKSTAR, about the tracker, with my private plate registered to the new car, so the change has happened
Dealer until recently has my old car for sale over xmas. Now obviously sold, to someone in the same village as me! (its a small world) and still running around on my private plate! I've not seen him yet, but both my wife and neighbour have, and both had to do a double-take, as they recognised my old car.
I've spoken to the dealer this morning, and he said he'd told the owner of the old car that he was to change the plate back to the old "v" plate when the docs come through, but as I've got the docs at mine, and dont have the address of the dealer, that could be a while.
The dealer should have taken the plate off as soon as he sent the registration docs to the dvla, and then left it on dealer plates. Then, he could phone me, find out if I'd got the docs through, then put the old plates back on the old car, job done. Instead, I've got people doing double-takes at my old car, and then seeing my new car with the same plate!
What are the legal implications of all this mess? Would I be liable for any tickets or fines generated by the guy using my plate, even though it's on a my99 silver, and not a my03 blue?
Not a happy bunny
chris.
Old 03 January 2006, 10:25 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I don't think you will be held responsible for any offence casued by your old car's new owner. If you hold all the relevant documents then you should be clear. I'd want that plate off the old car though, out of order!
Old 03 January 2006, 10:28 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

im not sure about implications but thats exactly what happened with my bmw, he was driving around with my jamo 11 plate, and so was I on the scoob!! saw him nearly a month after with it still on.

I reported it to the police, so they knew, and therefore nothing could come back and slap me in the face.

I would suggest doing the same. it covers you and the guy will not be in any trouble as he cannot do anything until he has the new plate confirmation.
Old 03 January 2006, 10:35 AM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

I've seen similar cars for sale on a forecourt in Derby with the same plate on ages ago, not sure what happened there also.

My missus ended up with two log books for the same car after changing plates and had a bit of hassle getting that mess sorted out.

It sounds as if something was not done in the right order, I sold my private plate off my old BMW, changed to a D plate then scrapped it after driving around for a few months and didn't have any problems.

Your old car is on the right plate, the DVLA will tell them when to change over and should then tell you when to change to your 555 plate. I'd change yours back to the 53 plate until the DVLA say so.
Old 03 January 2006, 10:43 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys. Good advice there shaggy1973.
Speedydaveb, I've already got both sets of docs for the 2 cars in my posession, and the reg marks are right, ie: my03sti on the private plate, and the my99 on its old v plate.

chris.
Old 03 January 2006, 10:47 AM
scoobynewbie1
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've been subject to a dealer who really doesn't know what he's doing, or one that's deliberately oversimplifying things just to get a sale. !

The process to transfer from one car to another;

1. cherished car reg removed from old car and put on retention certificate using retention document;
2. old car has original registration (if available) re-allocated by the DVLA - owner receives a letter saying to change the numberplate on old car when processed;
3. new V5 for old car issued showing original reg (4-8 weeks);
4. using retention certificate, cherished reg transfered to new car - can happen in a day if you visit the DVLA office;
5 V5 for new car issued showing cherished registration (4-8 weeks).

Done this many times myself (in advance of selling old car) and have never trusted a dealer to do it.

As you don't seem to have put your cherished reg on retention before trading in, this creates several problems:

1. new car cannot be taxed by the dealer unless it has a registration allocated. This reg was presumably the 03 one, so that is what should have been shown on the plate when you drove it away;
2. The dealer should not have told you to put your new plate on until you or he had the retention certificate for your cherished reg, and the DVLA had issued a new tax disk showing the new reg. If neither of these has been done then you should definitely not be showing your new car with the cherished plate. If the retention certificate has been received/issued then it means that your old car no longer has your cherished reg allocated to it, and thus if it is driving around with it showing, it is breaking the law;
3. As the V5 for your old car would have been returned to the DVLA to have the reg changed, I'm not quite sure how the dealer sold the car on it the first place. Would you buy a car without a V5..? i wouldn't !
4. As there are obviously V5 issues going on here, I suspect that nothing has been sent to the DVLA to the effect of notifying them that the ownership of your old car has changed, as this is done using the V5. This means that you will continue to receive all penalty notices for your old car, and you are potentially breaking the law for not informing them ! Def check with your dealer and if needs write the DVLA a separate letter. Don't worry if you do receive penalty notices though as they will ask you to declare who was driving anyway, and then you can state that you sold the car on xx date.

To everyone for future reference: Get you cherished plate on retention BEFORE looking for a new car. It save sooooo many hassles !

Hope this helps.

Rich
Old 03 January 2006, 10:49 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the docs for the old one showing the v plate, get him some plates made up and put them in his hand? nice gesture for the price of plates and it gets your plates of his car

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2006, 11:02 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I see what your saying rich, but at the end of the day, I have a tax disc with my private plate on it in the my03, so thats all in order. The v5 does still show me as the keeper of the old car, as the dealer doesn't want to put another owner on it, understandably, but like you say, any fines ect would be able to be sent back as I have proof of trading the car in.
The old plates are with the old car, I never got rid of them, so the new owner will have them in his possession. Hopefully the dealers already called the guy today, and told him to remove the private plate straight away. I'll call him back soon and see if he's been in touch.
Thanks for your comments guys, and top advice from rich about putting plates on retention. Bear in mind though, the dealer paid my transfer fee, which if I'd put on retention, would have cost me twice: retention, then transfer to new vehicle Still would have saved me this worry though
chris.
Old 03 January 2006, 11:12 AM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
...Speedydaveb, I've already got both sets of docs for the 2 cars in my posession, and the reg marks are right, ie: my03sti on the private plate, and the my99 on its old v plate.
I see now, find your old car and remove the plates yourself then he'll have to put the right ones back on it!
Old 03 January 2006, 11:23 AM
scoobynewbie1
Scooby Regular

My pleasure.

Sounds like you're all legal & above board which is the main thing !

The cost to put a plate on retention is £105, which includes the £25 assignment fee, so its not twice £80 if people were thinking that.

The fact that you still have the old V5 concerns me though as this should be completed asap to show the new owner - a fine is possible - although unlikely luckily. If you know where the other guy lives i would go round there, complete it together (you both need to sign) and post it off then and there so you know for sure it's done.

Bloomin complicated isn't it - as if understanding a Scooby wasn't complicated enough !!!
Old 03 January 2006, 01:43 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

the old cars V5 should show the new owner + the new (non private plate).

if not then the V317 form hasn't been completed to transfer the reg no. not sure how you got the tax disc though?

the dealer should have filled out your old car to transfer it to him (doesn't affect number of owners if he uses the right part- red bit i think)
Old 03 January 2006, 02:50 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Again thanks, just called the dealer back, and he assures me the guy now knows to remove the plate, and has assured it will be done today
All's well that ends well
chris.
Old 03 January 2006, 04:27 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Thanks for the comments guys. Good advice there shaggy1973.
Speedydaveb, I've already got both sets of docs for the 2 cars in my posession, and the reg marks are right, ie: my03sti on the private plate, and the my99 on its old v plate.

chris.
Chris; further to what James has already suggested, I would write to my local VRO and explain that you old car is currently being driven using your old 'cherished transfer' registered number. If you can provide them with the VIN or Japanese chassis number for the 1999 car that will help too.

This way there will be a record of your complaint which can be referred to later. If you tell the Police then itll only result in a 13 week marker being placed on the PNC under your registered number; leading to you stopping by the side of the road and a lot, making friends with Police officers...

Simon
Old 03 January 2006, 04:55 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

GC8
If you tell the Police then itll only result in a 13 week marker being placed on the PNC under your registered number; leading to you stopping by the side of the road and a lot, making friends with Police officers...
for that very reason, I've held off telling the police for now, I'm going for a little drive later, to see if I can find the car
chris.
Old 03 January 2006, 10:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Writing to the DVLA / local VRO will cover your **** without this happening and youll be able to refer back to the correspondence if you receive a NIP etc..

Simon
Old 04 January 2006, 07:04 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

thanks simon, had a little drive, but couldn't find it, needle in a haystack really. Dealer has assured me that he's made the change now anyway, thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.
Chris.