Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you like the attention?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2000, 12:35 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This morning was garbage day in our close and the first time the dustmen have seen my scoob. all 3 forgot about the rubbish to look at the scoob - from the front, then the back then finally had a bit of a chat about it - then they got to the rubbish collecting.

not sure if the chat was +ve or -ve, but I don't think even a golf would get that much undivided attention - they're too common and too slow (generally - I've had 2 series 2 gtis)
Old 05 October 2000, 12:41 AM
Neil Vickers
Scooby Newbie

I had my first Scooby for 18 months and did 62,000 trouble free miles. I only got rid of it as it was a company car and didn't need the tax burden as my mileage has now dropped.

I loved the car, camaraderie (smiles, waves, we know what others don't) and the fact I got no hassle (unlike some BMW and Porsche drivers I know). I've been driving a Honda Integra R (yuck) for a few months while I sort out my own car (new Scoobie a few weeks away).

So I'm glad to be back.
Old 05 October 2000, 09:34 AM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Question

I got stopped yesterday at a local traffic census point and thought to myself that I'd better get used to being stopped as the car attacts so much attention

On the way back, same census, I got a stare, then a smile and a nod of the head from the Traffic cop who was stopping cars coming the other way, obviously a fan (Or maybe he was thinking "I'll have you next time son!")

Later on I went to Kwik Fit and before I had even got out of the car the manager had come over and all the staff had assembled by the car for a good ogle. He was quite disappointed whan I asked how much they charge to do the tracking on my wifes Citroen AX

My wife hates all the looks and glances (except when she's driving) and thinks I'm mad when I wave at all the other scoobies.

All part of the Scooby ownership experience?

Old 05 October 2000, 09:42 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Seems to be.

I quite like it. Not so keen on the attention levels afforded by the puffa equiped types though...

Rich
Old 05 October 2000, 10:28 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

In the 1 year I owned the scooby, I only ever got stopped once (and I asked for that one). But then mine was the inconspicuous version (Green MY97 with low spoiler).

I got stopped in the evo a couple of weeks ago, but that was randon checks on the side of the road, which I encourage.

Cem
Old 05 October 2000, 10:32 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Not yet been stopped. A few stares. No attempt at racing (normally 'cos I've blown 'em away b4 they even think about it ).

Might as well be driving the Vectra
Old 05 October 2000, 11:01 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had the Impreza 6 months now and not been stopped by the police yet (I am a young looking 26), Not even been challenged to a single traffic light Grand Prix.

I have to admit I do like the attention the car gets. One afternoon when I had just washed the car and it was sitting on the drive I noticed two young lads having a nose round my car. I watched them through the Window worried what they were going to do but they just wanted to have a good look at the car.

A few months ago I had a day off work so promised to pick up a friend's kids from school. Could barely drive out of the car park with the number of kids swarming round having a better look. Drove past another gang of young lads a few weeks ago and as I passed them one of them shounted "Scooby" at me!

Picked up my girlfriend and the 19 year old extreme totty she works with one day from work. Her one comment about the car was "Nice seats" guess that says it all really. Just a shame that the attention seems to be from youngsters and the max power element but if you want attention from women I would recommend buying another car. Guess I probably get more attention as I am a (reasonably) young bloke driving a brand new car??

The one thing I do find is that I am a much calmer driver now because hardly anybody tries to cut me up or do anything stupid, it's as if most people know the reputation of the impreza so think there is no point trying to give it a go.

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2000, 11:25 AM
GP
Scooby Regular

Talking

funny that about drivers avoiding Scooby bashing - I find they (Scoobs) seem to pick on me whenever possible - and I've only got an astra
Old 05 October 2000, 11:36 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The attention and camaraderie that goes with owning a Scooby is one of the reasons I intend to make it my next car.

Reading the postings on here it seems there are many similarities between the Scooby scene and the Golf GTI scene - all beit faster (Mostly ) and with less baseball caps!

You may laugh that a Golf gets alot of attention but it seems to when it looks like mine!
Old 05 October 2000, 01:14 PM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fosters:
<B> they're too common and too slow (generally - I've had 2 series 2 gtis)[/quote]

I know! I know!

And you don't have to modify a Scooby to within an inch of it's life before people notice it!

I still miss the waving and stuff when I have to drive the wifes Renault Megane - Shudder!

And if you want to slate me for driving something really slow - I've got an Air Cooled VW Camper too! But at least it made a good wedding car!

Scott! - Suffering life in the middle lane!
Old 05 October 2000, 02:13 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Angry

I don't get stopped by the Police.
Customs officials are a totally different story.
Every time I go home there they are.
Shall we stop that overloaded Volvo estate with all those crates of Jim Beam [no disrespect to Volvo or Jim].
No lets stop the little blue car.
Two guys, no luggage, no beer, no ****.
Must be a lowlife. And lets search his car where everyone can see so he gets a label before he gets on the train.
And, as we're so observant, lets pull the front seats all the way forward to get into the back instead of using the rear doors.
"What do you mean its got four doors. I thought it was a sports car"
And this form of intelligence has the power to incarcerate me. God help us all!
Best get off this soap box before I get a nosebleed ...
Old 05 October 2000, 02:28 PM
GP
Scooby Regular

Talking

hey - the dustmen were probably debating as to whether they could fit it in...tfic

Scott..nice golf - I know exactly what you mean though - people show far more interest in something that's obviously had a bucket of cash thrown at it - even if half of them are spotty 17 year old Orion/Nova drivers!
Old 05 October 2000, 03:34 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Smile

They only time I turn heads is when I'm over 4000 revs.

Although, when some 3rd lane t055pot doing 69mph finally looks in his mirror and sees me, he normally pulls over fairly quick. More than can be said for just about everything else I've driven.

Jerome.
Old 05 October 2000, 03:43 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey GP: Nice garden mate. Where did you get the yellow wheelbarrow from?

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited 05 October 2000).]
Old 05 October 2000, 04:14 PM
GP
Scooby Regular

Ooooooo, you bitch...

..I knew Scooby boys had an affinity for agricultural machinery, so I thought my wheelbarrow was pretty on topic really..

Old 05 October 2000, 07:57 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Joey Deacon the vanishing muppet, come down Epsom or Crroydon way sonny boy and i'll show you traffic light grand prix and kick your std scooby butt
Old 05 October 2000, 09:03 PM
Glenn
Scooby Regular

Popeye, good call !

Gp - in all seriousness, where did you get the cage from ?

Glenn
Old 05 October 2000, 09:18 PM
GP
Scooby Regular

Glenn.. it was from Homeba...I mean Safety Devices - through Demon Tweeks, 6 point FIA approved - no comments about doubling the value please

in case anyone actually gives a ****, it's a track day car, not for outside the club at 1am going boomboom tiiish
Old 06 October 2000, 01:36 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

you want to try driving a 22B or my westfield, its unreal how many looks you get.

The funny thing in the westfield is that its the porches that want to race me from the lights, not the golf GTi brigade.

It is a giggle though when they get left behind, not had one yet try it on a second time LOL

Old 06 October 2000, 02:05 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>you want to try driving a 22B <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn!! I wish I could drive one of those

Richard
Old 06 October 2000, 07:44 AM
Neil Vickers
Scooby Newbie

Oh and I forgot one thing, I've used my old Scoobie a number of times as a tow car to take a friends Caterham to the Nurburgring.

Now if you want to get noticed stick a Caterham on a trailer, full of beer and then tow at 100mph across Europe. I don't think people were suprised to see me come up behind them just what came past!

Obviously a common setup there were three Scoobies with Caterhams on the back there in April......
Old 06 October 2000, 08:19 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GP:
<B>Glenn.. it was from Homeba...I mean Safety Devices - through Demon Tweeks, 6 point FIA approved - no comments about doubling the value please

in case anyone actually gives a ****, it's a track day car, not for outside the club at 1am going boomboom tiiish [/quote]

I also have a Safety Devices, 6 point FIA cage ( With door bars ).. Cheapest place I found for them was Peter Lloyd Rallying, saved money over DT.. and nearly 100 quid saved over Safety Devices themselves!

And if you want looks, when Mr Exec is filling his Omega at the petrol pumps you watch him watch in amazement as you clamber out from behind the cage - either that or he is thinking - Muppet!

Scott!

Old 06 October 2000, 09:27 AM
GP
Scooby Regular

john - it must be great fun to have a little car that non-petrol heads completely underestimate.. blowing away pretty much everything else at will - how do you keep your license intact ? I assume you have a much more mundane daily car.. it's the only explanation

Scott - I recently added the door bars, though haven't been out lately due to a new addition to the family - I just hope I don't end up falling out the car onto the forecourt until I get used to them - now *that* would certainly get attention. Most heads turn when the engines running though Next year it'll be race spec (at least the one I'm building in the shed will!) - keep an eye (or ear) at CC next year.
Good deal on that cage - I get a discount at DTs though, so didn't think I could beat their price.
Old 06 October 2000, 10:59 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Sunil,

So if I "come down Croydon way" can I expect to find your car parked outside the Blue Orchid??
Old 06 October 2000, 11:42 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I don't mind the attention most of the time, although it's been a bit odd with the P1, as I'm still running it in.

Driving down to Gillingham last weekend, it was a bit scary when people kept slowing down or speeding up to keep level for a while. Made me feel a bit uneasy after a while.

Hopefully it will be difference when I'm able to drive away from them.

Josh
Old 06 October 2000, 11:52 AM
adelasalle
Scooby Regular

Cool

totalled my '99 MX5 sport in feb, hence getting my first scooby in April this year ( MY00 UK turbo, deep blue mica, 17" gold alloys)... used to get lots of looks driving through town, and tailed by the police alot, and stopped every couple of weeks.. got my P1 last week, seem to be getting a whole load more of attention from the local population, but not been stopped yet
Old 06 October 2000, 01:39 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Had a <B>very</B> embarrasing experience last night, pulled into McDonalds quite late for a late snack with a few friends, there happened to be about 20 teenage boys and girls just hanging around their afford-mobiles, as soon as I approached, all hell broke loose.

I even had them immitating sexual intercourse with the exhaust! All the usuall comments such as 'wicked' 'f4rking fast car mate' etc..

I scoffed it down pretty pronto and got out of there!

Cem
Old 06 October 2000, 01:48 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

They f**k you at the drive through!
It seems I'm the only person I know who gives these young whippersnappers the time of day. They talk to me, I smile knowingly. It doesn't hurt at all.
Friend of mine was driving his Accord Type R through Glasgow [could have been anywhere but it was Glasgow]. His wife had gone into the back of the car to play "I spy" with his daughter.
Drove past some youths.
"Boom!" brick hits passenger side A'pillar of car.
Youths scarper.
Which youthful attention would you prefer?
Old 06 October 2000, 07:07 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Joey,

The only time my car is outside the Blue Orchid is when im picking your girl up to take her home

She prefers my seats