Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

7500 service

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2000, 08:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone tell me why the 7500 mile service - which is an oil/filter change - and quick look see should be close to £100????
I could do it for £30 - as well, if not better!!!
Ok I need to keep my warranty - but **** take or what???
Pete
Old 25 September 2000, 08:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a warranty thing - no-one likes to pay it. The oil would cost you 'bout £ 30.00 + filter

Not much Consolation - Ford Puma 9K service £ 117.00 - oil + Filter change only
Old 25 September 2000, 10:01 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

If you're an SIDC member, Cheam Motors give 10% discount. Not far from North Hampshire ?

Kevin.
Old 26 September 2000, 07:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks all

I'll get them to tell me where the rear washer bottle is too at the service - its lasted an awful long time !!

Pete
Old 26 September 2000, 08:07 PM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

Big time **** take if you look they probably charged you

£30 plus Vat for oil and disposal of old oil
£30 ish plus vat for new air filter!!!
And an hours labour at about £30 plus vat

Like you said though its a warrenty thing wait till you get too 30,000 miles mate!!!!
Old 27 September 2000, 08:08 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

Whats the usual cost for the 15,000 and 30,000 miler?

jon
Old 27 September 2000, 07:21 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Blimey you lot dont stop whinging do ya?

There is nothing worse than to buy a performance car and then skimp on maintenance....wont do you any favours in the long run.

I personally feel that given the nature of the beast, service costs are very reasonable. In Epsom, the local Alfa dealer charges 60 quid an hour labour!

BTW I didnt even know they changed the air filter at 7.5k miles.

I also imagine that if i want the cost of the 15k and 30k services the best person to ask would be my local friendly dealer?
Old 27 September 2000, 09:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwhitton:
[B]Whats the usual cost for the 15,000 and 30,000 miler?

£350 ish ?? I reckon??

jon

Pete
Old 27 September 2000, 09:28 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya guys,

15,000 mile service from us is approx £170inc V.A.T.Only two variables to take into account.

1. Mobil 1 oil(£3.00 more than normal oil)
2. 10% off for SIDC discount(not taken off above prices)

30,000 mile service approx £380inc V.A.T

Items 1&2 also apply here

Regards

Steve

P.S the air filter is not replaced at the 7,500 service
Old 28 September 2000, 09:35 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

Steve, does that include the body service?

Mobil 1 - you mean 3.00 PER LITRE more than normal - not 3.00 absolutely?

Sunil
Old 28 September 2000, 11:29 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Wink

Come on Sunil you should know better than most.
Mobil 1 £8.50 a litre
Body service circa £120.00

Steve

P.S you coming for a beer tommorow?
Old 29 September 2000, 09:19 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

15k service is £150 inc VAT at Robinson's of Rochdale.

The 30k service is the first really pricey one at £300 odd. Should be in the lower half of £300 I think.

All "services" that you pay for a "p" take aren't they? I mean you could do it all yourself couldn't you? Be your own accountant, solicitor, banker, painter and decorator, plumber, tiler, roofer, insurance underwriter etc.

Do you think anyone does things for other peopl coz they enjoy the buzz and are happy to charge "at cost".

Get real.
Old 30 September 2000, 12:54 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Steve Lawson,

Eh? Read my posting again. I agree with you!

Sunil and Chris L, yeah that's what I was saying.

Why bother watching professional footballers when you can play it yourself?
Old 30 September 2000, 10:27 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Angry

All you muppets who moan about how much your dealer charges you and "how you could do it cheaper" - (which is very indian BTW!) must remember that dealers have such things as overheads to cover. They have to pay xxx fixed GBP if they do one job a week or 100 jobs a week. Just coz most of u muppets are probably contractors and dont have **** all overheads as individuals, you stupidly fail to see that to have big premsises, a workshop, fax and phone lines, diagnostic equipment and people on your payroll, the need for staff training, compliance with legal and statutory requirements and a worthwile return for the owner/entrepreneur actually does cost money. You would all moan and avoid a dealer like the plague if he had ****ty premises and a lack of facilities wouldnt ya?

Unfortunately, either way you cost it - using full absorption costing or Activity Based Costing, you still have to pay the goddam rent. Lord help any of you if you ever had to go into such a business for yourselves - i think your all better off staying as prostitutes or working from your bedrooms ....the only overheads u will have then will be the occasional pack of durex and treatment for STDs

Sunil
Old 30 September 2000, 10:41 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sunil

Been reading your various posts over the last few days - has someone wound you up at work?

Sunil does make a very good point (and being an accountant he puts it in better language than I do) - but basically you don't get something for nothing. There are a lot of IT people on this site (myself included). If you were contracting - what would your hourly rate be? I know that if I went back to contracting in London I could charge at least £40 a hour - work that out for a basic 40 hour week - adds up (especially with the low overheads that most contractors have).

Most IT people would consider their rates to be a reflection of their experience and technical skills - so why should it be any different for any other skilled profession? I don't mind paying the servicing costs because I know that when I take my car into the dealer (Cheam Motors BTW) I know it will be looked after by properly trained professionals.

Chris
Old 30 September 2000, 11:21 AM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

"I summon up the almighty power of certification....

Strange. That's all I can remember from the course."

Wish I could find the cartoon strip to go with this. Arf arf

Old 30 September 2000, 12:03 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Wink

Barry,all services take the pee.I post on here because I WANT TO.Saying that we take take the *P* is insulting.Take a look at most of my posts they are are all done in my time.I/we don't set the hourly rates we just have to stand there and justify them.It strikes me that people are very happy to critisize(sp)Subaru Dealers when they can get away charging silly amounts of cash to fix PC's.
I know that is probably a provocative statement but people sem to forget that us "fitters"have only spent four years learning our trade.
Chatting to someone earlier this evening it seems every man and his dog can do IT(not me)Different strokes for different folks I say.
If we could all fix cars/computers etc no one would be in work!
Anyway enough of my ranting it's late I need some shuteye.

Regards

Steve
Old 30 September 2000, 01:05 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Chris,

Just to clarify (for the benefit of anyone who gives a **** - which is probably no one), no one is winding me up at work, i never feel the need to allow other unrelated(personal) issues to affect what i do on this BBS - (although i do fancy a damn good ****!!!).

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 30 September 2000).]
Old 30 September 2000, 02:29 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Smile

BarryK,
You are right just reread your post,apologies.It was very late and I was slightly worse for wear if you know what I mean.
Total pants week at work as well.Got up on my soapbox again!Will not let lager influence
me again(some chance!!)
Regards

Steve
Old 30 September 2000, 06:29 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

........yeah, some chance....LOL
Old 30 September 2000, 07:43 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sunil - only joking mate - always enjoy your posts.

Chris
Old 01 October 2000, 07:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Well I still think that £100 for a oil change is extortion.

Yes everyone deserves a living - but I can do a better job than most mechanics (ouch thats going to stir it up ) but its true - I love my car and know what I am about. I was taking cars apart in 1973 at age 16 and as an electronics kid I understand more about the black boxes than anyone in a Subaru dealership

So?? why cant I sign my own service book? it will have had better treatment after all??

Pete
Old 01 October 2000, 09:34 PM
Steve Lloyd
Scooby Newbie

Cool

You poor old things, see if you can stand the 90,000 that my trusty turbo has just had. Compared to other performance cars the Imp's are cheap to service but make sure it from the dealer!
Old 01 October 2000, 09:41 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Peter

Interesting point - The main reason people have the services done is to maintain the warranty - fair enough. I remember reading somewhere that you don't need to go to a main agent dealer (whatever your make of car) to maintain the warranty, but you must have the car serviced at the stated intervals and any work carried out and parts fitted must be to the same standard as those fitted by a main dealer. I don't know where you would stand as a private individual (as opposed to an independent mechanic) if you decided to carry out this work yourself - I know what your local dealer would say

This could make for an interesting battle with International Motors if you did have a warranty claim

Personally, I'm not sure if it would be the worth the hassle, but it's up to you at the end of the day.

Cheers

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 01 October 2000).]
Old 02 October 2000, 09:53 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Hi all

Bought my scoob from Lothian Sports Cars in Edinburgh about two months before they closed.

I discussed the "where am I going to get it serviced in the future?" issue with them.

Their response was:

1. (AF Nobles Subaru or new Subaru dealer - see New dealer in Edinburgh thread)

2. Get it serviced at any reputable garage and as long as they use Subaru parts, your warranty will be okay.

My 7500 service is due soon (on 7015 this morning )

I'll probably end up going to Nobles...

Rich

Old 02 October 2000, 06:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Smile

... as well as an oil change, i got a car-wash (including making my front wheels very clean again - damn that brake dust) at both the 7,500 and 15,000 mile service!!

That's another fiver-worth of work to take into account. Of course you could always get a Daewoo if you want to reduce servicing costs

mb
Old 02 October 2000, 07:15 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete Lewis, u have obviously failed to understand the concept of overheads and how they drive costs.

Anyhow, if youre that damn clever, build your own goddam car - why buy one made by someone else at a huge mark up? ;0
Old 02 October 2000, 08:45 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I totally agree with you pete,i was charged £99 for my glorified oil change by a yts kid,i commented on this to the manager and he assured me he was only letting oil out,the rest of jobs were carried out by the technician -a bloody woman ,i aint havin some bird mess with my mota again.
The tyre pressures were all altered,pipe left off wastegate solenoid,boot floor not clipped back in(i'm very fussy)and the boot was full of stuff as we were on a journey so guess what,6 pints of milk put back on its side leaking out
do you really think i want them doing tappets and plugs,how do i stand if i do these myself.

Paul

Old 02 October 2000, 09:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Suntit

'Pete Lewis, u have obviously failed to understand the concept of overheads and how they drive costs'

On the contrary (Mr 'sit-on-my-bum' accountant)I understand perfectly how the costs are made up - £100 IS still a lot for an oil change (LEX Autocentres do a full service for around £70 - yes FULL!!!) and NO I wouldnt put my scooby in thier hands but it shows what the cost CAN be ... the Subaru dealers are running a cartel as we all know (they have a captive audience) and I will use a Subaru main dealer to carry out my services for the first 3 years.

'Anyhow, if youre that damn clever, build your own goddam car - why buy one made by someone else at a huge mark up?'

How many cars did Einstein build ... 2? 5? 10? 10000? wake up - contrary to popular (well yours anyway) belief you DO NOT have to be sooo damn clever to build a car - some of the best mechanics I know have built cars (that is different from being clever in the mind and knowing things)

Ooooops just seen that you do Kung Fu - sorry sorry sorry

Mind you a good street fighter can put any Bruce Lee wannabee down in a few seconds!!!

Pete

Old 02 October 2000, 09:44 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Paul W,

You were very unlucky. Before deciding on a garage (if you have more than one local) ask if you can have a look around and check out what the mechanics are like and their working practices.

You can tell alot from the workshop. When I had my Cav I was looking for a good dealer. I had a wander passed the workshop and watched the mechanics. V interesting! One so called engineer took an alloy of a Calibra and just dropped it on the floor I kid you not. Face down.
One garage even admitted than none of their engineers were trained on the 16v. Didn't go there.

NO VAUXHALL JOKES OR SLANDER PLEASE.

If you value your warranty, visit a Subaru garage. Simple. You may not like it, but life can be a bitch.

P.

Quick Reply: 7500 service