Sponsored by:

Getting there, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2005, 03:53 AM
Porsche911r101
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting there, questions.

well im getting towards owning a scooby finally, im nearly 20, nearly have 4 yrs ncb (accelerated insurance).

what i want to know is........ how old do i need to be to insure a 94 year classic scooby (or any other that dont need sva) wrx, basically i want one with alloys, induction kit, exhaust, suspension, thats it really, i can afford the car at £3k, but cant get insured, so how much longer am i gonna have to wait ?

i live in the lowest crime rated area in the uk, have a nice double garage (parents do haha), it would have cat1, cat2, tracker, be garaged overnite, and i only do 5kmiles a yr.

cheers,

J
Old 24 December 2005, 09:39 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried confused.com?
If you can only afford 3k are you aware how much a scoob is to run?
Old 24 December 2005, 10:25 AM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

to be honest mate as above if you can only afford 3k for the car then are you really gonna be able to run and maintane it prop!?
not trying to put you off mate. i'd be the first to tell you to get one but you need to be awear just how much they do cost to run.
good luck with the insurance. try A-plan they are normally really good.
Old 24 December 2005, 10:31 AM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Hard to answer. But I don't think the issue is how nice your garage is. I wouldn't have thought that insurance companies are worrying about whether it's safe at night, but more likely if you are going to stack it into a tree!

I doubt your 'accelerated' NCB will cut much ice either. Bottom line is you can only have been driving for 2 and a bit years, and you want a group 20 car. I wouldn't insure you because it would not be a good risk. I know what I was like as a young driver, I know what my mates were like as young drivers, and even then back in the 80's we were only running around in 1.0 Fiestas and stuff until were well into our 20's. Not saying that you are like that, but the insurers don't like covering young male drivers who want fast cars for a very good reason! If you can afford it, fine, but to me if the cost of insuring your motor is a significant proportion of the car's actual worth, then you need to find a lower insurance-grouped car. Sorry to rain on your parade. I don't mean to sound like a miserable old git about it but I'm just telling it how it is.
Old 24 December 2005, 10:36 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Wait another 2 years, save up some money = Problem solved! Plus you should be able to find yourself a nice clean example for around 6K. No point in buying a sh&tter!
Old 24 December 2005, 10:43 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Even though the car is only valued at 3k I would have thought that the insurance would be about the same price.

Please bear in mind that you are not buying a 'normal' car, subarus have 2 services per year, major services at regular intervals, parts cost a lot more that what you would have thought - dont get me started on petrol lol.

What I am trying to say is, if you can afford the above easily, pay for insurance, and at the end of the day still have a life and go out with your mates then go for it.

Make sure before you pay any money out that you get the car hpi'd and have someone trustworthy that knows about these cars look it over, 3k for a paperweight is a lot of money.
Old 24 December 2005, 01:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Even though the car is only valued at 3k I would have thought that the insurance would be about the same price.

Please bear in mind that you are not buying a 'normal' car, subarus have 2 services per year, major services at regular intervals, parts cost a lot more that what you would have thought - dont get me started on petrol lol.

What I am trying to say is, if you can afford the above easily, pay for insurance, and at the end of the day still have a life and go out with your mates then go for it.

Make sure before you pay any money out that you get the car hpi'd and have someone trustworthy that knows about these cars look it over, 3k for a paperweight is a lot of money.
Ditto: wait a few years!

I do wonder whether other insurance companies will accept that you have 4 years NCB on a bonus accelerator policy. Give Gary Moulson a ring at Keith Michaels- if he can't give you a good quote, no one can. At 20 i'd expect the quote to be in the region of £1500 ASSUMING they accept the NCB. if not......3k+

You'll not find a decent WRX for 3k and if that's all you can afford, running it will break you. If you scrimp on looking after these cars, expect a engine rebuild bill appraoching 3k. Even a clutch change will set you back about £400.

A Scooby is not for you at this time. Sorry.

Do stick aound though, everyone is welcome on SN and you can do some great research on here for when you can join the "empty wallets club"

Best wishes,

Ns04

Trending Topics

Old 24 December 2005, 01:10 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I was just short of 23 when i bought mine. I had 0ncb and had 1 claim. My first years insurance was 2400 with Tesco, no one else would touch me. This dropped down to 1400 for the second year - so once youve proved yourself you will get a good discount.

Servicing, youre looking at 80-100 for an interim oil change which is every 6 months or 7500miles, and upto 400 for a major service.

Hope this helps!
Old 24 December 2005, 01:16 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

When I was 19 I bought myself an Impreza sport. It was a cracking car and still rated in my top three best ever cars list. Now I'm 24 and own my own business I have gone for a WRX, what I've always wanted.

As has been said over and over above, the subaru Impreza is a REALLY expensive car to own, and that doesn't include the initial outlay of buying the thing.

Another thing that has not been mentioned, and i might be wrong, is that for you to find insurance on a scooby at 20 will be difficult, but to find insurance on an import wrx would be near impossible!!!
I was looking round before I bought mine earlier this year, and the story I was getting from most (all) insurers was that they would not even look at me until I was 25, and then they wanted me to have driven the car for a year before that, which would have been quite difficult as no one would insure me in the first place!!!!
problem solved if I was a chav, nick the car then not bother insuring it!!!!

Anyway, back to your question, have a look at the Sport mate, as said its a cracking motor, and set your sights on a nice turbo in a couple of years, once you've spent a bit of time working for it it'll taste a lot better when its sat on your drive!!!!! (or your parents'!!!!!)
Old 24 December 2005, 02:56 PM
Porsche911r101
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the comments

The sport i like but it looks tame and would cost tons to get it looking decent, then its only ever going to be a replica, and 115hp (iirc) + 4wd drivetrain losses makes for a very slow car, dont u agree ?
Old 24 December 2005, 03:04 PM
sc00by555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Porsche911r101
thanks for the comments

The sport i like but it looks tame and would cost tons to get it looking decent, then its only ever going to be a replica, and 115hp (iirc) + 4wd drivetrain losses makes for a very slow car, dont u agree ?
In defence of the Sport, you could buy one that's already modded that doesn't look 'tame'. It isn't THAT slow either, 0-60 in around 9 secs for a 2.0 and you get great handling and no turbo-lag You could get a decent sport for the money you have rather than a questionable turbo.