Sponsored by:

Engine oil level

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2005, 05:07 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine oil level

Hi iv got a MY 05 WRX only 2 months old checked the oil level a few weeks ago after 1000 mile service and it was showing hardly any level so went back to garage checked it there with mechanic and all was fine lookd a right tit, but anyway checked it today and the dipstick is only showing an oil level at just the min anyone else had this? should my car use up any oil at all if all is running properly? thanks
Old 14 December 2005, 05:15 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't want to sound sarcastic but was the dip stick pressed right the way in? and have you been checking it with the car parked on a level surface and when the engine has had time to rest after being run?
Old 14 December 2005, 05:38 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

No fair point but the dipstick is fully in and i tryed it from cold as in over night and from warm and left to sit for five and no difference. its something that now has me thinking that i can hear noises from the engine. Right pain in the ****.
Old 14 December 2005, 05:46 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what you mean I have had similar experience. Oil level seeming to fluctuate. Best not to panic you don't want to over top it up. If you can leave it for a good 24 hours and then check it that should allow oil to drain back into sump. Some scoobs do burn a little oil and others hardly any at all.
Old 14 December 2005, 05:59 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Well i won`t be back out in it till the morro anyway as there is a shortage of optimax and no cash in the bank but its payday the morro so all good. ill see what it reads in the morning just had my dad check it and he draws a blank was wondering if there was a valve in the system that holds the oil in the system till its up to pressure?
Old 14 December 2005, 07:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The only non-return valve would be in the filter.

I would top up to the min line ...... overfilling does a lot of damage.

Pete
Old 14 December 2005, 08:05 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

mine was at AS performance on friday. Had a few things done, and then Alyn kindly pointed out that the oil level was only just touching the dipstick. This was from stone cold. Baring in mind that the car was only rebuilt 2 weeks ago. MY05 WRX, 6 months old

So off i went back to the dealer, who informed me that it was fine, not a problem. Topped it up with 0.4 of a litre and charged me £3.00.

Checked it the next morning again at stone cold, its only just hitting the minimum.

IMO, the dealers dont know there **** from there elbow.

Keep an eye on it mate, i know my car is burning oil, i can see it on start up and from about 3 months old, its been burning oil. The dealer tells me this is NORMAL.

Im thinking of pre booking my next engine, just so it doesnt take 7 weeks to fit again

John

Trending Topics

Old 14 December 2005, 08:20 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

all sounds very strange. think i'll keep an eye on mine a bit more often now. although i have a classic. i'll see if i get the same sort of thing happening.

as for burning oil on start up that normally signals worn valve stem seals. shouldn't happen for a good few years, unless you don't treat them nicely?
Old 14 December 2005, 08:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The oil can often airlock leading to false readings. When the engine is warm switch off and leave to stand for 5-10 mins, then use a piece of rubber hose to gently blow down the dipstick pipe, just for a second or two. Leave to settle for another 30s and you should get a consistent reading every time.
Old 14 December 2005, 09:18 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
all sounds very strange. think i'll keep an eye on mine a bit more often now. although i have a classic. i'll see if i get the same sort of thing happening.

as for burning oil on start up that normally signals worn valve stem seals. shouldn't happen for a good few years, unless you don't treat them nicely?
4k when my engine let go, you cant tell me they were worn, its not used on atrmac stages or anything.

My classid never used a drop, every 6 month i used to drop it and replace with fresh. This thig i just will just have to keep topping it up. its not as if there is any oil in there that will get a chance to get old, not a .4 ltr minimun evewry 2 weeks, i belive it only hold 4.5 ltrs anyway.

\maths........... thats 24 weeks and tha oils should be completly renewed... RESLT

john
Old 14 December 2005, 10:12 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

My 96 classic with rebuilt engine seems to loose a little bit of oil. It falls off the dispstick every couple of months, but i do drive it hard. Maybee turbo?
Old 14 December 2005, 10:45 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
My 96 classic with rebuilt engine seems to loose a little bit of oil. It falls off the dispstick every couple of months, but i do drive it hard. Maybee turbo?
Thats normal m8, all engines will burn oil over time...i wouldnt worry.
Old 15 December 2005, 02:14 AM
John57
Scooby Regular

I can't seem to get a proper reading off my dipstick on my MY05 WRX - every time I have checked it the level is all over the place and up the stick !

I try wiping it and dipping it again - hot or cold makes no difference. This is the first car of the 10 or so I have had over the last 20+ years that I have ever had a problem reading something as simple as the oil level..... makes me think the dealer has well over filled it ??? I do hope not though .....
Old 18 December 2005, 07:23 AM
Mick Fletcher
Scooby Regular

Have exactly the same problem as John57 with MY05 WRX but manage to get a clear reading once the oil has warmed up a little bit.
As an aside this needs moving to the technical section.
Old 18 December 2005, 11:54 AM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dont panick guys, my my03 is just the same and this is deffinately normal, just dont go over filling the oil it only takes about 1/2 lit to go from min to max so even when its on min you still have plenty in.
Remember to ckeck the oil when the engine is at normal operating temperature, let it settle a while after turning the engine off and check on level ground.
I probably top up about twice between services but I do change the oil every 5k.
Old 18 December 2005, 01:42 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The oil can often airlock leading to false readings. When the engine is warm switch off and leave to stand for 5-10 mins, then use a piece of rubber hose to gently blow down the dipstick pipe, just for a second or two. Leave to settle for another 30s and you should get a consistent reading every time.
This is the only way to get an accurate reading..! Bob Rawle showed it me a while ago..

Otherwise it can be a real PITA (supposedly due to the oil 'wicking' up the dipstick..?) and quite often leads to over filling..! Which as Pete has said is a BIG no no..!
Old 18 December 2005, 01:47 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Or I've found..

Take the dipstick out, wait for a min then dip.

Oil seems to make it's way up the dipstick tube with the dipstick in (and you can think there is more oil in than there actually is) when you leave the dipstick out for a min the oil runs out the tube and when you dip you'll get the correct reading.
Old 18 December 2005, 09:02 PM
paulsti8
Scooby Regular

had same prob on 53 plate sti had service, 2 days later checked oil, just on bottom mark, phoned dealer, who said no problem, oil when engine cold should be just above the bottom mark. check when engine hot, should be on top level as the oil expands. this is what they told me and they were right.
Paul
Old 18 December 2005, 09:35 PM
sparky d
Scooby Regular

Location: irchester / northants , can also be found at babs.forumotion.com

Originally Posted by paulsti8
had same prob on 53 plate sti had service, 2 days later checked oil, just on bottom mark, phoned dealer, who said no problem, oil when engine cold should be just above the bottom mark. check when engine hot, should be on top level as the oil expands. this is what they told me and they were right.
Paul

Same here on my 03 plate , still a pain in the ar$e i make sure i check it all the time just in case
Old 19 December 2005, 05:38 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The only non-return valve would be in the filter.

I would top up to the min line ...... overfilling does a lot of damage.

Pete
Pete,

surely you're not saying that a large manufacturer like Subaru cannot supply a dipstick with the correct markings!

Surely you are not saying that perhaps 'street knowledge' or forum knowledge and techniques may be better than following the manual word for word.

Surely you are not saying that the Subaru engine is a bit special and may require a slightly more careful approach.

I though you could treat is exactly is as any other car and that all the people on these forums, and their methods, were **** and incorrect.

Or does that not apply in this case????
Old 20 December 2005, 12:41 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Can somebody make sure that this bit gets included in the next issue of the Subaru "well recomended oil change procedure"
How does it go?
remove plugs
prefill filter over several nights
fill with oil
blow in to dipstick pipe will a well fitting rubber host
recheck and re-topup
blow in to dipstick pipe again
hand crank engine until oil light goes out....
this is a joke btw, in case anybody was wondering!!!
Old 20 December 2005, 01:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

ShyTot .............. you will find the correct procedure listed here:-

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=419129

Pete