New header and downpipe recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2005, 11:25 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New header and downpipe recommendations

Hi guys,

The heat sheild on the headers is rattling like mad and the down pipe is blowing so i think it's time for some new ones. It's got to the stage where it's sapping power now.

I already have a decat centre section so was wondering if i should get a new catted down pipe (from someone like Hayward & Scott) so that it'll pass it's mot next time. How do the guys with full decat get on when it comes to mot time?

Also what i wanted to know is what headers and down pipe do you have on yours or what ones would you recommend?

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 13 December 2005, 12:01 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

just seen the price of the catted down pipes!!!! de cat it is then!!!
Old 13 December 2005, 12:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mneame
just seen the price of the catted down pipes!!!! de cat it is then!!!
LOL They are quite dear aren't they! Not a reflection on H&S, all sports cat pipes are pricey.

You could organise a Group buy, may be able to get quote a big discount if you can get around 10 orders! Obviously you'd have to negotiate the discount with them though!

Still pricey, but you get a clean conscience and less hassle at MOT time

NS04
Old 13 December 2005, 12:56 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

that's not a bad idea. H&S are local to me so i might pop down there on saturday.

i was just thinking the other day that scoobs aren't that expensive to run if you treat them nice. now it looks like mines going to cost me a few hundred quid right on top of xmas!!
Old 13 December 2005, 01:02 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

For headers check out ScoobyShop, you're looking at a just over £400 for something reliable.
Old 13 December 2005, 01:09 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo
For headers check out ScoobyShop, you're looking at a just over £400 for something reliable.
cheers i'll have a look.

yes will have some that are reliable. although i don't do loads of miles i do use the car everyday and can't afford for it to be off the road.
Old 13 December 2005, 08:23 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

My downpipe started blowing soon after I bought my wagon, but I didn't want to change it for a decatted version - been there, done that. It's OK on a '93 Clio 16v and you know the MOT man and can get it through because it's running a '91 engine which was a pre-cat version. But on a '98 Scoob, a modern car in other words, it's taking the **** to run without a cat IMHO.

I can't justify cursing diesel drivers when they try and accelerate away from me in a cloud of black soot, and then at the same time say it's ok for me to run decatted apart from once a year at MOT time. But that's just me. My GGR sports cat downpipe was pricey but I'm glad I did it.

Even if you're not bothered about the environmental thing, another point to note is that the MOT testing regime is tightening up all the time. We're not too far away from a time when MOT results will be computer-linked to every reg, tax disc number and driver. MOT stations will have to input their MOT data including emissions, into the computer which sends to the DVLA. Seriously. No longer will you be able to get a bent ticket off a friend of a friend in the pub for £50. Nor will your local backstreet garage be able to do you any favours when the emissions test comes round, it'll be more than their business is worth.

My advice is if you're buying a new downpipe, save yourself a whole load of bother, fork out the extra for a sports cat pipe now and never worry about MOT/emissions/roadside tests again. GGR do them, RCM do them, H&S do them but when I checked H&S take a long time to make them whereas the first two keep them in stock.
Old 14 December 2005, 07:59 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Hi we have never taken a long while in suppling Scooby exhaust as we have 2 guys making them every day,worst case is within a week.

Back to the group buy we would be more than interested who wants to start the ball rolling so as i can PM them some prices ;-)

Ian
Old 14 December 2005, 12:10 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

pm sent.
Old 17 December 2005, 01:06 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by mneame
pm sent.
Any progress on this mate, I'd be interested in hearing about any GBs.

Cheers,

NS04
Old 17 December 2005, 03:19 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

yup it's all coming along. i've just got to type it all up and going to run it by ian to make sure that i've got the details correct. prices are looking good and will run on till end of jan to let people get another payday in.