Comprehensive MPG results

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2005, 04:03 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comprehensive MPG results

Hi Guys,

This maybe a bit sad, but I set up a spreadsheet to monitor and calculate all the MPG, litres, prices, range etc. I've done it for around 10-15 tank fulls at the moment. It also lists what I have been doing during that tank, like motorway driving or going on holiday with 4 people and a boot full of luggage.

It is quite suprizing the difference between different fuels in terms of MPG. I've generally found that BP Ultimate is very good, as is Texaco and Esso Ultimate. Optimax isn't very good at all, getting the lowest MPG of all. I haven't tried Tesco or Sainsburys yet but I think its worth it for a comprehensive list.
Just put in a tank full of Total Excellum in last night and I'll see what that stuff is like.
If anybody wants a copy of the spreadsheet, PM me and i'll be more than happy to send it too you.

If you do want to calculate your mileage, I do it like this;

Fill up when about 3/4's empty.

Get a full receipt with all the price of fuel, litres, price per litre.

Write down your mileage at that moment on the receipt.

Then, the next time you fill up, repeat above.

Minus the new miles by the old miles to work out how much you've used

Divide the NEW MILES by the OLD GALLONS/LITRES.

(to get UK gallons, multiply litres by 0.22)

As a side, I usually get from 25-33 MPG, but I don't trash it at all. In fact I'm very careful.

Hope this helps

Regards
Andy
Old 12 December 2005, 05:05 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

heh, nice work!

i get either 24.5,26.5 or 28.5 mpg. i think that depends on how much i thrash it. crusing around 100mph and lots of fast acceleration gives 24.5, but i usually do 26.5.

looking back on it the 28.5's might actually be when i've bought esso 97 cos i'm too far from a shell.

i have tried testing a cruising at 80 + limited to 4000 revs tank, but i keep getting followed by cars willing me to race them

maybe its time for another go...
Old 12 December 2005, 05:09 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

I did this when I owned my old sport and my import wrx, which really cheesed me off.
Now I got my uk turbo I am just putting petrol in when I need so I take my mind of the cost and just enjoy the car
Besides that **** Lewis will be on soon saying his 56 mpg is better
Old 12 December 2005, 05:15 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I recently did this. I've kept all my petrol reciepts since Sept 2003. I wanted to make sure my fuel card was worth the tax I pay (it is). So I was able to take MPG over a very long period of time and not so effected by town/motorway driving.

In the first year (Dec 2003 - Dec 2004) I managed 28MPG off a standard MY02 WRX. In Dec 2004 I fitted a K&N, backbox and centre section. Admittedly I have driven the car harder but I was surprised at the 24 MPG achieved for this year.
Old 12 December 2005, 05:16 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

where's dumbass "dumpvalve.com". that retard claimed he'd converted his old WRX to diesel and sold it to his dad and that it did 60mpg!!

he "apparently" now owns an MY06 WRX and was briefly banging on about urgently needing PPP, but dissappeared when his was asked for a photo to prove he really had a scoob at all.
Old 13 December 2005, 10:10 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Default Interesting

The reason really why I did it is because when I wanted a Scooby everybody either said; "you won't be able to insure it", or; "you wont be able to run it when you get", also I got this one; "all you see is people getting rid a few months after buying it". I never got the "you'll kill yourself" tho'.

When you tell anybody that you have a Scooby turbo, the first thing people say is "wow", the next thing they say, often with a conservative sucking of teeth - "that must cost you an arm and a leg". What I say is yes it does but it is not anyway near as bad as people who HAVEN'T got one think it'll cost.

Most people who own these cars, are into cars. I say to people its my hobby which it is, its not just something to get from A-B. Scoobies really don't cost that much more

Do you think i'm tempting fate for a big breakdown???!!
Old 13 December 2005, 10:12 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy.downes
Hi Guys,

This maybe a bit sad

YEP
Old 13 December 2005, 10:55 AM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Posted by andy.downes Hi Guys,

This maybe a bit sad,
NOPE

I have to do the same. To sort out claiming expenses back.

I have only done 2.5K miles but m.p.g. is averaging 28.5 for my MY05 WRX Wagon.

The prophets of doom said pretty much the same to me about sub 20mpg & sky high insurance and who the hell do you think you are? Why can't you buy an Astra diesel like everybody else.

So I now look out int the car park and.............
Old 13 December 2005, 01:01 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the Scoob on the continent in the summer, used 100 RON Shell got a whisker over 30 mpg. It really is top stuff
Old 13 December 2005, 01:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my usual 35mpg isn't at all odd!!

The occassional 38-40mpg achieved on a long run is also well within bounds .....

****** and RoyBacers get less than 20mpg ......

Pete
Old 13 December 2005, 08:19 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

****** and RoyBacers get less than 20mpg ......
But Pete you're a *****, and you get more than 20mpg, so how do you explain that one?
Old 13 December 2005, 09:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by briforbes
But Pete you're a *****, and you get more than 20mpg, so how do you explain that one?
You must be a Chav, you didn't understand what I said ...... go back, re-read and spell it out one syllable at a time ....... then you will realise that you are the *****!

Pete
Old 14 December 2005, 01:29 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Maybe it makes sense in pslewis world but it still looks the same to me. I'm neither a *****, nor am I a chav....but whatever way you look at it you're an annoying arsehole who spouts ****e at every opportunity, polluting this board with utter garbage in a pathetic attempt to get the attention you mustn't have been given as a kid.

I don't want a huge drawn out argument, I can't be bothered with you and I'm sure you've got other posts to ruin with your ramblings, so we'll leave it at that shall we?
Old 14 December 2005, 01:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by briforbes
I can't be bothered with you
Funny that .......... considering that your post CLEARLY shows that you CAN be bothered with me!!

Proves my *****/chav point nicely - I think you will find??

Pete
Old 14 December 2005, 01:37 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

yes Pete, very good.
Old 14 December 2005, 01:39 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I used to check mine and would regularly get 22mpg, i dont bother checking now!!!!

Old 14 December 2005, 01:41 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Pete, if you get 35mpg (which I'm not sure I could get even at a constant 56 mph) you can surely never rev the engine past about 2500rpm, in which case is there much point having this sort of car. I tend to drive fairly sensibly, but like to enjoy the car as well and I average about 22-25mpg.
Old 14 December 2005, 05:22 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I averaged 24.5 mpg pre-ppp and 25.0 mpg post-ppp on an 05 wrx (this is over 20000 miles).

I freely admit to being sad and having figures that accurate available.

I do a fair amount of motorway driving (cruising altitude around 90mph) which accounts for the high figures (over to you Pete?).
Old 15 December 2005, 11:20 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I see that I'm not the only one with the MPG results and definatly not the only one that is interested in them.

I usually get around 28-30MPG depending on the trip, what I have been doing during the trip and the petrol. I am very sensible and usually don't take the car much above 5-6000 revs - believe me thats more than enough for me sometimes.
However, to keep the economy good when doing journeys where I know I won't be able to stop to cool the turbo (like going to work on the morning) I never take it above 2000 revs.
Similarly, I never take it over 2000 revs while it warms up, then I use the turbo.
In fact often the turbocharger does not get used during the week really, only at weekends when I get to stretch its legs really.
To reflect back to the post about proving the power of the car to other people who want to race you -
I get just as much enjoyment sitting in traffic in town, knowing that 85% of the people around me wish they had a scooby. The sense of burbling down the street in one of the fastest cars on the road gives me as much buzz as actually proving I've got one of the fastest.