Subaru Legacy - SpecB

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2005, 12:56 PM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Legacy - SpecB

Hi all,

I've done a few searches for the above and not found too much from any owners on here.
I've managed to get the old man interested in one of these cars (it took a while to pull him away from looking at Volvos and BMW's) and after a test drive he seems quite keen.

I've found loads of reviews and road tests online where its performed quite well and even came 8th in the Top Gear survey!
I would like to hear from any owners about their views? If any lurk on here?

Oh the all important question.....can that NA flat six be "tweaked" at all?

My parents might end up getting a car I want to drive...I can't quite believe it LOL
Old 11 December 2005, 01:32 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

www.uklegacy.com for everything you need to know about legacy's

Sadly, you might find that its not very easy to get more horses out of it as it is N/A, you may put an exhaust system, lighter pully's flywheel etc but thats going to be it really (might be lucky to get an extra 40bhp out of that =total of 280bhp for around 5 grand) - there is however a japanese version called B4 which is 2.0 twin turbo at 280bhp standard and can be tuned up to 320-340bhp (around 1.5 grand total for backbox, decat mid pipe, air filter and a remap) without "much" hassle, and up to 400++bhp if you are willing to spend around 7+ grand, but the drawback is its only sold in japan and you will have to pay more for insurance and there isnt going to be any warranty from UK dealers.
If it was me buying, i'd definatelly go for the imported version as you will probably never use the warranty anyway (awesome build quality), and if you are definate that you will tune it up (you will void your warranty in this case anyway) - the insurance price differences will be offset by difference you will have to pay to extract those extra horses.
Old 11 December 2005, 06:30 PM
No-bars Krud
Scooby Regular

Location: SIDC East Sussex Regional Organiser and 555 Wagon Squadron Flight Officer

Had one for a year now, which we run alongside an Impreza Turbo. Am looking forward to trying the Prodrive exhaust to get a bit more "burble". Fantastic car. Happy to answer any particular questions you may have via private email.
Old 12 December 2005, 06:03 AM
WRX-NZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega
www.uklegacy.com for everything you need to know about legacy's

Sadly, you might find that its not very easy to get more horses out of it as it is N/A, you may put an exhaust system, lighter pully's flywheel etc but thats going to be it really (might be lucky to get an extra 40bhp out of that =total of 280bhp for around 5 grand) - there is however a japanese version called B4 which is 2.0 twin turbo at 280bhp standard and can be tuned up to 320-340bhp (around 1.5 grand total for backbox, decat mid pipe, air filter and a remap) without "much" hassle, and up to 400++bhp if you are willing to spend around 7+ grand, but the drawback is its only sold in japan and you will have to pay more for insurance and there isnt going to be any warranty from UK dealers.
If it was me buying, i'd definatelly go for the imported version as you will probably never use the warranty anyway (awesome build quality), and if you are definate that you will tune it up (you will void your warranty in this case anyway) - the insurance price differences will be offset by difference you will have to pay to extract those extra horses.
Its a Twin Scroll titanium turbo now not TT & they are available outside of Japan, in NZ there called the Legacy GT.

Both the GT & the 3.0 R B get rave reviews down here
Old 12 December 2005, 08:39 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Great car, savage depreciation and crap dealers, buy a BMW/Audi unless your already locked into a Subaru like me.
Old 12 December 2005, 10:35 PM
stevewrxwagon
Scooby Regular

We have just completed 20,000 miles in ours (Spec B Tourer), purchased new this year (March). It has really grown on me over this time - not needed anything other than routine servicing - good stealth vehicle (after 2 Imprezas & an EVO), can be parked anywhere etc. 24 mpg average (varies between 21 & 27 dependent on journey) - all the toys you need - Sat Nav is particularly good - full post code entry etc.

Depreciation is glacial - worth considering a low mileage second hand one - if you can find one......