Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STi battery woes - here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2005, 08:48 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STi battery woes - here we go again!

After standing for a couple of days once again the damn battery was flat this morning. I usually plug in the AccuMate charger when I anticipate not using the car for two days or more, especially as my journeys at this time of the year are infrequent and short. This time I didn't and paid the price! All this in spite of having the replacement 60Ah battery due to previous similar experiences, and drive as a matter of course with the sidelights on. The initial drag of cold 10/50 oil certainly doesn't help, so thats coming out and 5/40 going in! OK so it's got the drain of the Tracker, but even so this is a poor show in this day and age.

JohnD
Old 09 December 2005, 09:12 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to pop down to halfords and get one of these>>>>
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=31335

Tony
Old 09 December 2005, 09:20 AM
ImprezaRob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My housemates got one of those, coming in very handy at the mo.....
Old 09 December 2005, 09:23 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Bit tricky plugging equipment into the mains if your parked in Gatwick airport for a few days .......... poxy jap rubbish, should be able to get a battery to work for gods sake.

Gary

edited to say you shouldnt have to buy something like that Tony. Subaru should supply them with the car if it isnt capable of sitting a couple of days on it own.

Does it get lonely and give up the will to live?

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 09 December 2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09 December 2005, 09:24 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Either that or I know our shop sells Solar power trickle chargers which plug into the cigarette lighter, only a tenner so could be worth a try.
Old 09 December 2005, 09:38 AM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

I can leave my car for a week or two without any problems starting. Perhaps there is something wrong with your alternator?
Old 09 December 2005, 09:40 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugsti
I can leave my car for a week or two without any problems starting. Perhaps there is something wrong with your alternator?

I used to say that too. Its a problem with the new age impreza's. Very very frustrating when it happens and believe me it will.

Gary
Old 09 December 2005, 09:48 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I used to say that too. Its a problem with the new age impreza's. Very very frustrating when it happens and believe me it will.

Gary
oh yes third battery at moment my old p1 was great left it for 3 weeks at edinburgh while on honeymoon started first time appears to be cheap batteries each time replaced foc with not even a question asked
martin
Old 09 December 2005, 09:48 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=31335

Tony
The same unit but in black plastic can be had occasionally from Netto's for £19.99

Sits back and waits to be called a chav
Old 09 December 2005, 09:51 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I would never trust mine in an airport carpark for 2 weeks. Mind you saying that at least there is no chance it could be stolen either
Old 09 December 2005, 09:58 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

After standing for a couple of days once again the damn battery was flat this morning. I usually plug in the AccuMate charger when I anticipate not using the car for two days or more, especially as my journeys at this time of the year are infrequent and short. This time I didn't and paid the price! All this in spite of having the replacement 60Ah battery due to previous similar experiences, and drive as a matter of course with the sidelights on. The initial drag of cold 10/50 oil certainly doesn't help, so thats coming out and 5/40 going in! OK so it's got the drain of the Tracker, but even so this is a poor show in this day and age.

JohnD
Bad news John!

I have left mine for two weeks at a time on a number of occasions and it has always fired-up first time! Still got the original battery too!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...ategoryId=31335

Tony
As said before....we really shouldn't have to buy these things, especially not on a car that was built in the 21st Century....Subaru really need to sort this! You just don't expect to have to plug the damn car in everynight to charge it!

Last edited by SirFozzalot; 09 December 2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09 December 2005, 10:13 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

I'm sure this must be common knowledge but I was shown a tech bulletin by the dealer which shows this as a known issue caused by the Tracker not going into a low power sleep mode
Old 09 December 2005, 10:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm told there is an upgrade for the Trackstar that turns down the movement sensitivity and puts it into sleep mode in 1hr instead of 6. Apparantly when parked in a place where there is constant or regular vibration, the system never goes to sleep as the 6hr timer is constantly being reset by the vibrations, thus it is always scanning for it's satelite position. That's what I've been told anyway. Contact RAC Trackstar for confirmation.
Old 09 December 2005, 10:35 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Mine is garged in a place where there is no movement what so ever so I cant get my head round that im afraid.

Gary
Old 09 December 2005, 11:12 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Mine is garged in a place where there is no movement what so ever so I cant get my head round that im afraid.

Gary
same here,a subaru tech told me it is cheaper for them to use s**t quality batteries and just replace ones that fail rather than put quality battery in first place!
martin
Old 09 December 2005, 11:28 AM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

My subaru dealer arranged for the trackstar upgrade to be done on mine. I think that the problem was due to trackstar not the battery itself. Luckily I have another car to park at airport carparks.
Old 09 December 2005, 11:39 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1
Either that or I know our shop sells Solar power trickle chargers which plug into the cigarette lighter, only a tenner so could be worth a try.
Don't forget that the cig. lighter only has a circuit when the key is in the accessory posn. or ignition!

As I mentioned, I have an AccuMate automatic trickle charger which is excellent but didn't use it this week!
Alternator is fine. I have a voltage monitoring facility (SECS unit) and I get 14.5v following a start.

JohnD
Old 09 December 2005, 11:39 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Gary

I think your problem may be that the car is garaged, the Tracker can't find the satellites to get a location fix and keeps looking. If you were to put the car straight into the garage that seems to be fine but stopping the engine first seems to give the problems. The system hasn't had time to get it's 'fix' before it loses the reception. A similar thing may happen if the car is parked outside but close to something that affects satellite reception such as trees or buildings.

Not an 'Official' answer but we have had the same problems here. Cars parked in or around the workshop can get flat batteries if left for a time. Cars parked in our compound which is away from the buildings have less problems, even if left for longer periods.

Plugging a trickle charger into the ligher socket won't help either as it's disconnected when the ignition is off, it would need to be connected to the battery or something that's permanently live.

Mike
Old 09 December 2005, 11:40 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

As far as im concerned if its a tracker problem its a subaru problem. If the CD player plays up I dont call Sony,JVC,Matsui
Old 09 December 2005, 11:42 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Gary

I think your problem may be that the car is garaged, the Tracker can't find the satellites to get a location fix and keeps looking. If you were to put the car straight into the garage that seems to be fine but stopping the engine first seems to give the problems. The system hasn't had time to get it's 'fix' before it loses the reception. A similar thing may happen if the car is parked outside but close to something that affects satellite reception such as trees or buildings.

Mike
My tracker was turned off over a year ago, so if its still searching its going to be looking for a long long time

Edited to say you really have to laugh at this Mike. While I dont disagree with what your saying it does appear ludicrous. I have to keep the engine running while opening the garage and if I want to park outside i have to leave it in the middle of a football pitch sized area so as not to be too close to a tree or building

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 09 December 2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09 December 2005, 12:24 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JohnD
Don't forget that the cig. lighter only has a circuit when the key is in the accessory posn. or ignition!

As I mentioned, I have an AccuMate automatic trickle charger which is excellent but didn't use it this week!
Alternator is fine. I have a voltage monitoring facility (SECS unit) and I get 14.5v following a start.

JohnD
Yep any charger plugged into the cig lighter will not work unless you leave the key turned!
Halfords do a great draper trickle charger and its cheap <£20

dipster
Old 09 December 2005, 12:34 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Well I don't have an STi, but I do have an MY01 with a Trackstar fitted.

Last year I was getting lots of flat batteries after leaving the car in garage for a week, so I replaced the battery with a new one from Halfords.

Problem sorted, and I don't do any of this jiggery pokery with getting satelite fixes
Old 09 December 2005, 12:43 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Gary

I don't disagree, just reporting what we've found as well.

If it is a Tracker problem, Subaru only fit such a system because Thatcham make them do it. Thatcham only make them do it so that the cars can be tracked if they are stolen. Blame the ******* that want to nick them if you have to blame someone

Mike
Old 09 December 2005, 12:49 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Surely its down to Subaru to ensure the product thats fitted to our cars is up to the task. If this one isnt they should be hammering the supplier for a better solution and retro fitting customer cars.
Old 09 December 2005, 12:57 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Once again, if that's the problem, I'm not disagreeing

Mike
Old 09 December 2005, 12:58 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

As far as im concerned if its a tracker problem its a subaru problem. If the CD player plays up I dont call Sony,JVC,Matsui
Subaru,well my local dealer at least,are aware of the problem.

If you are subscribed to Tracker,then it is a free fix.If not then there will be a £70 fee

I had this problem 18 months ago,Tracker 'claimed' to have never heard of such a thing!!

Untill the dealer called them on my behalf
Old 09 December 2005, 02:05 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Gary

I don't disagree, just reporting what we've found as well.

If it is a Tracker problem, Subaru only fit such a system because Thatcham make them do it. Thatcham only make them do it so that the cars can be tracked if they are stolen. Blame the ******* that want to nick them if you have to blame someone

Mike
my p1 had trackstar on but no issues re battery and i had that for 2 years!
martin
Old 09 December 2005, 02:13 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Is this a Tracker or Trackstar problem or both?

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Subaru,well my local dealer at least,are aware of the problem.

If you are subscribed to Tracker,then it is a free fix.If not then there will be a £70 fee

I had this problem 18 months ago,Tracker 'claimed' to have never heard of such a thing!!

Untill the dealer called them on my behalf
Old 09 December 2005, 02:20 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I'm told there is an upgrade for the Trackstar that turns down the movement sensitivity and puts it into sleep mode in 1hr instead of 6. Apparantly when parked in a place where there is constant or regular vibration, the system never goes to sleep as the 6hr timer is constantly being reset by the vibrations, thus it is always scanning for it's satelite position. That's what I've been told anyway. Contact RAC Trackstar for confirmation.
Yep had this upgrade done to my WRX , told it's common on Subaru because of the 'smart charge' alternator ...I'll find out if the upgrade worked next summer at Gatwick I guess
Old 09 December 2005, 02:21 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by HOWY
Is this a Tracker or Trackstar problem or both?
RAC Trackstar as far as I'm aware

Quick Reply: STi battery woes - here we go again!