Sponsored by:

special question for Simon De Banke

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2000, 02:16 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi.i asked a question about the handling differences between type-r ,std STI and type-ra.an owner said that ask it to simon de banke,he is the best person you can ask that question.now i am asking that question to you
if you can answer i will be very happy .
THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES
P1 WR
Old 04 October 2000, 02:34 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi

The main differnce with the Type R is the diff set-up...

The suspension is slightly stiffer on most (if not all) version also but it is the diffs that make the big difference...

I am useless when it comes to the mechanics of it all so I can't tell you the names of the diff's but CAN tell you what they are like to drive..

(BTW - I think the RA's (with diff control) have the same set-up as they are very similar to drive on the limit)

STi's are more forgiving, the diffs feel looser, in the way that they never seem to fully lock. This means that you can get the car sideways and nail it and the diff will still provide a slightly different amount of torque left and right (at both ends (front and back))...

With the Type R, the rear diff is a very agressive feeling set-up. If you get it sideways (not a lot of resistance to the rear end) and nail it, the rear diff will lock completely (and quite suddenly) meaning HUGE oversteer...

This means that the fail safe rule of thumb (please don't think this is a dangerous driving get out clause) of hit the loud peddle and it'll sort itself out, is no longer available...

You need to be much more precise.

Driving below the limit, the Type R is far more rewarding to drive (IMHO) as you can induce slight oversteer at the drop of a hat (on the gas ). But when the limit arives, it is more of a challenge to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, it is still totally doable, but not easy in the way an STi or UK car can be handled.

A choice would depend on what you wanted from a car and what level of ability you have.

There is also an added complication with the diff control. Some people see this as a bit of a gimick (sp?). I can assure you, that if you are driving a Type R on the limit, the diff control needs to be as carefully controlled as the steering or throttle.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 05:48 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks a lot proffesional now i gained lots of knowledge about it.he said right you are the true person to ask
thanks again
cheers
P1 WR
Old 04 October 2000, 05:57 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Smile

sorry i have one question more.
a person from that bulletin board said that there are two types of bilstein/eibach suspension kit.one of them is the original wrsport type ,and the other is the new ,hard type.which is much better on dry?i think the hard one but much more better or slightly better?
thanks for replies