ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY93 WRX FAULTS

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2005, 07:16 PM
DARKSSLASH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY93 WRX FAULTS

Just been to look at a very nice my93 wrx and was woundering if some owners of this model could give me some info on common faults and brakages as it is nearly 13years old now. Also it has intercooler water spray on it, I thought this was only on the ra but the bloke says it was available as on option when new?? What dose this do??
Old 05 December 2005, 07:34 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

dont know about the intercooler spray not on mine. but my my93 wrx has been pretty faultless.

Only annoying problem i had was a niggly missfire which turned out to be the camshaft sensor.

No other problems really, sound as a pound.

Brakes are something that need looking at, if you are going to do a lot of trackdays or fast driving uprgrade them. I have new shocks and brakes.

Cant really think of anything else but i am sure someone will. Pretty problem free as far as mine goes.
Old 05 December 2005, 08:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

On the whole; the biggest problem on 1993 WRXs lies between the seat and the steering wheel and it is this, as much as the car itself, that needs close inspection.

Simon
Old 05 December 2005, 09:16 PM
DARKSSLASH
Scooby Regular

Do you have a JDM WRX GC8??
Old 05 December 2005, 09:21 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I had a 93 WRX for 4 years and the only faults I had were coil packs (they deteriorate with age) and the lambda sensor (used a cheap replacement instead of OEM and the cheapie failed very quickly so used a proper one second time around). I also had to change the clutch and slave cylinder after the clip that holds the release fork to the release bearing failed. Other than that, pretty faultless although I spent a fortune on tuning bits, better brakes, nicer wheels etc etc etc
Old 05 December 2005, 09:59 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I do actually yes, at the moment I have an unregistered GF8 that I imported a while ago. Wha Ive said may appear to be flippant on the surface but think it through. The owner profile is a much bigger problem than any inherant problems.

Simon
Old 05 December 2005, 10:09 PM
DARKSSLASH
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean. unfortunatley it is at a dealer so all i have to go on is what he says and the history and recipts. But all that seens to point to an enthusiast owned car.
Old 05 December 2005, 10:22 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
On the whole; the biggest problem on 1993 WRXs lies between the seat and the steering wheel and it is this, as much as the car itself, that needs close inspection.

Simon

I hope this isn't another one of those generalisations?

While these cars are now relatively cheep to buy, it doesn't mean that the people that own them give them any less respect. If it's a clean looking car, then chances are it's been looked after.

Only problems I've had with my WRX in (5 years and 100k miles) have been typical age-related gripes - MAP sensor, Lambda sensor (although runs quite happily without), temp sensor, top rad hose, leaking rocker cover, and a car driving up it's **** (only a bent back panel behind the bumper).
Good idea to get the later spec brakes and uprated pads, because the original 2-pots are a bit puney.

PS; no idea about the water spray.......
Old 05 December 2005, 10:25 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

A dealer??????? Sounds like gonna be dear? How much?
Old 05 December 2005, 10:27 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Don't pay over £4k. And for £4k it had better be mintier than a Trebor Extra Strong.
Old 05 December 2005, 10:29 PM
DARKSSLASH
Scooby Regular

£3795 and its like a time warp. I was a panel beater for 7years and couldnt find a fault with the body work/interior
Old 06 December 2005, 12:14 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveD
I hope this isn't another one of those generalisations?

While these cars are now relatively cheep to buy, it doesn't mean that the people that own them give them any less respect. If it's a clean looking car, then chances are it's been looked after.

Only problems I've had with my WRX in (5 years and 100k miles) have been typical age-related gripes - MAP sensor, Lambda sensor (although runs quite happily without), temp sensor, top rad hose, leaking rocker cover, and a car driving up it's **** (only a bent back panel behind the bumper).
Good idea to get the later spec brakes and uprated pads, because the original 2-pots are a bit puney.

PS; no idea about the water spray.......
Of course its a generalisation; what else can it be without a chassis number? With regard to your second point: Im afraid that that is exactly what it means. The fact that this is so; and an inescapable fact, doesnt mean that you fit this mould or that your car is poor. This isnt going to be another one of those rose-tinted spectacles threads is it? You know, where people with early cars refuse to accept that a growing number of A and B Series cars are low quality imports (virtually all early cars going through the auction have a poor grade; how come theyre all 'mint' by the time they get to English docks auctions eh?) that were sold cheaply to people who on the whole, dont look after them as well as they could.....

I will reiterate my original point: a 1993 WRXs achilles heel is far more likely to be the past/prestent owner than an inherant fault. If you can find a nice one then you will be more than happy with it.

Simon
Old 07 December 2005, 08:48 PM
DARKSSLASH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys, and I think I may buy this wrx as it has the history and a proven track record with not being a fresh import. Ill keep every one posted.
Old 07 December 2005, 09:20 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Simon,

I fully see your point of view.
Yes there are a lot of low grade cars coming into the country for pennies - but there are still good cars out there.

I can't pretend my high miler is mint - but it has been (relatively) cared for. I can imagine a lot of cheeper (older) cars do get abused by non-enthusiasts who just about manage not to crash on a regular basis - but this isn't to say that all early cars are a bag of nails.

As I said - if the car appears to be in good condition, this could well be a sign it's been looked after, and maybe worth a tad more than many of the low grade cars flooding the market.

That's not to say that either a crap car or cared-for car will will have anything less go wrong with them!