Sponsored by:

WRX aint that slow!

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 06:42 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX aint that slow!

After reading so many threads on this board about how slow newage WRXs are 'so slow' and 'aint what they use to be' , I seriously worried about my little car's performance.

If people tried to race, I didn't take the bait for fear of getting cained by Cupra R's, Clio 172s, CTR and stripped out Pug 306s and driving off thoroughly embarrased. Even when I had a remap to a modest 250bhp approx, I still refused to race. I worried continuously about drivetrain losses of the AWD system and the car's woeful aerodynamics. I routinely pulled out of the way for mondeo diesels, anything really that had a bit of grunt.

I tried to enjoy the car as suggested by the haters on here, but couldn't knowing that most s**tboxes on the road could show my car up for the chav mobile it is.

Over the past week, I've got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. I succumbed, I took the bait, I had a straight line shoot out with a Megane 225, I was worried that crap aerodynamics and acceleration whilst rolling would mean that I would be left in a cloud of exahust fumes. But I cained him, crikey I thought, he couldn't have been trying. I put it down to luck and went back to my previous belief of the WRX being crap slow.

Until tonight, chap in Boxter S (new version 276bhp), decided to show me how inferior my car was. Wrong, I kept up, 50moh to 110 he couldn't pull away from me. Only when it got to 110 did he start to make yardage.

I thought this must be a fluke, so we both slowed due to a car and again car pulled over and we booted it, no gain by the Porsche.

Yes, the Porsche is a faster car than mine, I'm not denying that, but when you think that all I have to do is decat, remap and I'll have equal power output and probably more pace, that ain't that slow.

So all you haters, get a grip, yes the Scoob has a lot of competition these days but it's still one bloody quick motor.

Roll on bonus... de cat, new turbo, FMIC, cocklink
Old 02 December 2005, 06:45 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I always thought it was crap anyway.
Quickest car i've ever owned as well as being best sounding
Old 02 December 2005, 06:48 PM
WRX-Jo
Scooby Regular

Hear hear!

I have beaten my other half's (very nice) Supra on more than one occasion and that always makes me smile - he hates me having anything better/faster than him!
Old 02 December 2005, 07:53 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Your MAF must be on the way out if you can beat anything other than a pedestrian .......These are slow cars you know.
Old 02 December 2005, 08:06 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Old 02 December 2005, 08:10 PM
New_scooby_04

I'm a realist. I don't think the Scooby is the fastest car on the road and accept that there are too many factors -including those pertaining to safety- to provide a comprehensive and accurate assessment of a car's performance on the road.

One thing, however, is obvious.

Anyone who says a Scooby is slow is

a) A professional motorsport driver
b) A supercar owner
c) A moron
d) All of the above

They are quick cars, just not the quickest by the margin they used to enjoy at the 20k price point. That does NOT mean they are slow!

NS04
Old 02 December 2005, 08:25 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Well said that man

How can a 0-60 of 5.9 be slow.
Whats fast, a Ferrari hitting 60 in 4.5 for a 100k.
True, the Impreza has a reputation bigger than reality but its well deserved over the years.
Give the car more respect, if not join a Vauxhall forum

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I'm a realist. I don't think the Scooby is the fastest car on the road and accept that there are too many factors -including those pertaining to safety- to provide a comprehensive and accurate assessment of a car's performance on the road.

One thing, however, is obvious.

Anyone who says a Scooby is slow is

a) A professional motorsport driver
b) A supercar owner
c) A moron
d) All of the above

They are quick cars, just not the quickest by the margin they used to enjoy at the 20k price point. That does NOT mean they are slow!

NS04
Old 02 December 2005, 08:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Well said that man
Whats fast, a Ferrari hitting 60 in 4.5
There are Scoobies that will do that -if not quicker- out of the box for less than 30k I dare say a classic/Wrx with a full decat and remap wouldn't be far off too!

0-60 is only one part of the equation though. Fine for the traffic light grand prix. 30-70 is more informative in terms of everyday performance. In gear acceleration is also important.

And of course, then you have the twisties

NS04
Old 02 December 2005, 08:48 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Great post Varboy

Allan
Old 02 December 2005, 08:54 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

I think the Other Marques forum is responsible for alot of the 'newage wrx' slow nonsense.
Old 02 December 2005, 09:43 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

What i like is the fact that i have a sub 5 sec 0-60 time and my car is standard. To beat me convincinly you are gonna have to by a supercar costing an awful lot of money and my car only cost 10k. I will race any unmodified car knowing that only the best cars in the world will beat me.......

Long live any scooby, they are the dogs!!!!!!
Old 03 December 2005, 10:32 AM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Typer Jim
What i like is the fact that i have a sub 5 sec 0-60 time and my car is standard. To beat me convincinly you are gonna have to by a supercar costing an awful lot of money and my car only cost 10k. I will race any unmodified car knowing that only the best cars in the world will beat me.......

Long live any scooby, they are the dogs!!!!!!
well said ... wrx ppp 4.8 0-60 ... from a car with a 60k mile warrenty..fast reliable car..... nuff said ...lightened 306 my *** you would have to throw away the wheels .. lardy car anyway...
Old 03 December 2005, 11:17 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hooray , glad to see some sense !! none of this my pugs the fastest thing since the starship enterprise and all that nonesense !!
Old 03 December 2005, 03:08 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

havent been in a newage yet but id imagine the wrx is one of the slowest scoobs, heavier than classics and 220bhp, il have my type r version 4 any day
Old 03 December 2005, 03:24 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
havent been in a newage yet but id imagine the wrx is one of the slowest scoobs, heavier than classics and 220bhp, il have my type r version 4 any day
im just glad ive got a slow steady sensible family saloon....cant wait till they make a fast car..... what a load of poop
Old 03 December 2005, 03:39 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

all ive ever owend is slow new age scoobys let me think what was the last car to beat me in a straight line drag erm erm erm erm erm erm oh yes 911 turbo on a 52 plate but even he didnt look that convinced his car was that much quicker
Old 03 December 2005, 03:48 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

Newage scoobys can be quick??? Do the classic guys know this?
Old 03 December 2005, 03:54 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i dispair......

<----- cant be that slow...
Old 03 December 2005, 03:54 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

no i dont think they do they think impreza's finished being made in 2000 then some ugly subarus came along that where lardy an over weight
Old 03 December 2005, 03:58 PM
acko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BVM
Newage scoobys can be quick??? Do the classic guys know this?
i think the guy that broke the world record at elvington this year( from iceland ) was driving a new age bugeye i think it was unless im mistaken.

then again they are slow cars these newage scoobs

paul.
Old 03 December 2005, 04:28 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
I thought you was having a Supra, You'll know what us newage owners will feel like with all that extra weight.

TBH if I had a choice of newage WRX or Type R, Id have the Type R.
Old 03 December 2005, 04:32 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I agree, my bugeye WRX is more than quick enough (for now ) following my ecutek remap, including 30-100 acceleration.

The handling and AWD system is also a testatment to the way the car's built. I was out for a spirited drive in the wet yesterday afternoon and was doing about 80mph on a (private ) B road. As I rounded a bend most of my side of the road was covered by a puddle. As I hit the water both left-hand wheels aquaplaned and the car started a 4-wheel slide, however as soon as the puddle had past the car regained it's composure. No drama, no fuss.

I'm convinced that if I'd been in almost any other car without AWD I'd have lost it.

(p.s. I'm not bragging about "dangerous" driving, just relaying a driving experience to anyone who's interested.)
Old 03 December 2005, 04:43 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Yep, the 2001 onward WRX's are rubbish.

As confirmed by TDi and classic owners, even with a decat and remap they really do little more than crawl along. You'd go quicker pushing it yourself to be honest.

They also handle terribly - no matter how stiff the chassis that extra 150kg cripples them.
Old 03 December 2005, 05:42 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Typer Jim

But if you include modified cars, there's quite a few that could beat you for less than £10K (mine for example and I probably have similar or less power to you )
Old 03 December 2005, 06:05 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acko
i think the guy that broke the world record at elvington this year( from iceland ) was driving a new age bugeye i think it was unless im mistaken.

then again they are slow cars these newage scoobs

paul.

Doesnt matter to me whether new age or classic, all scoobys are great
Old 03 December 2005, 06:17 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carl2
But if you include modified cars, there's quite a few that could beat you for less than £10K (mine for example and I probably have similar or less power to you )
yes well we won't include modded cars then !! cos if you do we would have to include modded scoobs wouldn't we ! you see if i told my mates about the " scoobs are slow " threads on here , they would think i was having a laugh ! to the bog standard everyday drivers scoobs are quick , that as far as i'm concerned is the end of the story !!
Old 03 December 2005, 06:33 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

pretty much any car with over 150bhp cant be labelled as slow, i mean the old cavy Gsi 2000 was a family saloon car with about 160bhp and wasnt slow, so any turbo scooby is well out of the "slow" bracket as there all over 200bhp.
People who say WRX new age are slow, tend to be:

a) not in a position to own one.
b)saying it to try and look cool infront of there mates cause there cars so much faster.(when infact they dont have a car)
c)As mentioned before by somebody, they are a WRC driver or have been involved with bloody formula1!!!

P.S i own a classic, so no real need to stick up for new age.
Old 03 December 2005, 06:59 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

.......or

D) Has owned one (so has full knowledge of its slowness), and then replaced it with 2 fasters cars. 944 Turbo and Clio Cup.
Old 03 December 2005, 07:30 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Yawn....! is that the time..?
Old 03 December 2005, 07:33 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
.......or

D) Has owned one (so has full knowledge of its slowness), and then replaced it with 2 fasters cars. 944 Turbo and Clio Cup.
Lost me there m8, thought that they were around the 6 sec mark for 0-60!!!!!!

Quick Reply: WRX aint that slow!