Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size number plate would look best???

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 02:53 AM
paulcornwall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size number plate would look best???

Just bought myself a new plate B8 NND but unsure what size to get the plates made.
I obviously wanna be legal (of course!) but what will look best, opinions please!

Old 28 November 2005, 09:05 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a 3/4 size front plate on mine, the font ( Not shown ) is standard UK lettering and has the correct spacing between the letters,
only 3/4 the size of a normal plate

IMO They look much better in that size at the front
Old 28 November 2005, 10:56 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

All the legal info is HERE. Scooby-Mark's plate above is illegal. I would guess the lettering is smaller than allowed, but mainly as it displays the Subaru logo as anything other than an approved national flag isn't allowed...."The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and national identifiers on vehicle number plates. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 are in the process of being amended. They will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed."

You can of course try it on, but if you get a really $hitty copper pull you it could cost you upto £1k and lead to withdrawal of the plate, although that is probably highly unlikely.
Old 28 November 2005, 12:04 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
All the legal info is HERE. Scooby-Mark's plate above is illegal. I would guess the lettering is smaller than allowed, but mainly as it displays the Subaru logo as anything other than an approved national flag isn't allowed...."The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and national identifiers on vehicle number plates. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 are in the process of being amended. They will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed."

You can of course try it on, but if you get a really $hitty copper pull you it could cost you upto £1k and lead to withdrawal of the plate, although that is probably highly unlikely.
As you say mine IS illegal !! I knew that when I order it and as you say its the risk you take
That is why I tried to minimise the risk I was taking with the front plate by at least keeping the correct font and spacing etc...
I know the border is also illegal but I have had it on since March with only two coppers commenting about it, but no fines issued etc...
It is amazing how easy it is to read from a distance, IMO a lot easier thans some normal szed plates with the wrong font, spacing etc....

Worth the risk I think
Old 28 November 2005, 12:48 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

On my recently sold S1 Elise I had no plate at all on for over 2 years & never got stopped. Would take a pretty arsey copper to have you for that!!

Looks great BTW.

Dave
Old 29 November 2005, 12:43 AM
paulcornwall
Scooby Regular

So can the actual size of the plate be smaller, looking at the above site smaller lettering maybe allowed on imported vehicles, am i reading this right??

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles
(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:
  • The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

• The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates