Sponsored by:

Pub Debate!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2000, 11:46 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just got back from The One Eyed Rat after having a debate with a fellow Scooby owner (my brother-in-law!) with a his brand new MY00 Sport. He seems to suggest that the chassis/suspension (handling)is pretty much the same as std UK Turbo. (He has driven a Turbo, I haven't driven a Sport.) I begged to differ... Drum rear brakes, 195/60 wheels/tyres, softer dampers etc. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyone know what the differences actually are, there seems to be much speculation on this one? I can then rest in peace till I see him again, and hopefully I won't owe him a pint!?

Cheers,

Moss
Old 03 October 2000, 04:15 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ok where to begin with this one, we have a wrx sti v2 (my sis) , i personally have a MY99 sport, and I have driven a MY99 turbo.
If you are talking about the cars as standard then i think the following, but no doubt i will be corrected by the experts
Sport against turbo- You are right in the following. The sport has softer dampers, and possibly softer springs which give more role/drift when cornering at speed. The smaller wheels, (15's aren't they? or are they bigger on the MY00?), these do not help the situation at all. I'd say that the turbo felt alot firmer in cornering than the sport when it was standard. The drum brakes on the back make no difference to the handling though except for braking. Brake wise the turbo is alot better as standard too.
My sport against our Sti - Modified is a very different matter. First thing i did was have 17in Prodrive ST2's put on, then an esparco strut brace, followed by lowering th car -35mm's. Tyres- Pirelli P-Zero's and brakes upgraded to Rb5 4 pots. The car handles amazing, and compared to the sti which sits on eibach springs/blistein suspension - i'd say it is exactly the same if not better (sti is standard suspension)
Hope that helps.