Sponsored by:

Urgent request...

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2005, 12:23 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Urgent request...

Moderators - Sorry for posting in the general forum but I need a response before I leave tonight at 8.00pm.

I had the 82,500 mile service carried out on my MY00 UK Turbo. Since then there is a loud squealing noise coming from the area around the 'belt' at the front of the engine. It is only present for the first couple of minutes when the engine is cold but I am a little worried...

I have to do a 300 mile journey tonight so can anybody tell me what this could be and whether I should be worried about going on a long journey?

Please help if you have experienced this type of problem, especially after a service...

Mark.
Old 13 November 2005, 12:35 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

It sounds like the alternator or air-con belt if fitted is slightly loose,The cold damp air getting onto it overnight will not help and cause it to slip if its loose,This is what the squealing is more than likely to be.If it goes away after one or two times of reving the engine then i wouldnt worry about driving it but ultimatley the belt should be tightened.
Old 13 November 2005, 12:44 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

They could also have spilt some oil on one of the belts. If so they may need replacing, if it goes away I wouldn't worry too much. Just watch for a battery light or the power steering getting heavy.
Old 13 November 2005, 12:45 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Turbotits (great name ! ),

Thanks for the feedback. The car was serviced on Wednesday and the battery was replaced. I don't know whether that is relevant. It was okay on Thursday and Friday morning and we then drove from London to Newcastle (290 miles) on Friday night. I started it on Saturday morning and that was the first time I heard the noise. It does go away after a few minutes, but while it is there it is REALLY loud...

Mark.

Last edited by ChrisS/P1; 13 November 2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 13 November 2005, 12:50 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisS/P1
Turbotits (great name ! ),

Thanks for the feedback. The car was serviced on Wednesday and the battery was replaced. I don't know whether that is relevant. It was okay on Thursday and Friday morning and we then drove from London to Newcastlle on Friday night. I started it on Saturday morning and that was the first time I heard the noise. It does go away after a few minutes, but while it is there it is REALLY loud...

Mark.

Yea sounds like a loose belt and its probably cold and wet in Newcastle which wont help,I shouldnt worry if it goes away.
Old 13 November 2005, 12:53 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Smile

Right, I'll drive back tonight and get it seen to tomorrow...

Thanks again.

Mark.
Old 14 November 2005, 10:56 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Turbotits,

I drove back last night and all is well. Started the car this morning and the noise has gone away completely?!! Should I bother folllowing up on this or was it a one-off?

Thanks for the advice by the way!

Mark.