Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subarus - Everyone has moved on now,...

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2005, 09:53 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subarus - Everyone has moved on now,...

EVO Magazine, Top Gear Magazine, Autocar Magazine etc seem to have a common thread of saying the playstation generation are past their sell by date (Subaru / EVO). I believe even the Civic Type R has come under pressure from the new entrants of Golf GTI, BMW 130M.

I need help in trying to mature, I'm 36 but feel in the eyes of the magazine writers I may have stayed mentally at 18!! You see I think the new Golf GTI, R32, BMW 130M etc do look classy and refined and clearly look as though they may have a wider spread of talent (quality / re-sale value / image / to name a few). The issue I have is that I will happily accept a crap interior, an inappropriate image, etc because it'll have an x-factor that'll scare the bejesus out of me when I nail it over a country road. I don't need that last 5% of handling that the Golf GTi would give me over say a Civic Type R because I'd be laughing my head off as I ripped past 7,500 rpm in the Civic. The Subaru mantle is slipping I'm sure if the writers are to be believed when compared against an R32 as an overall package - but hey if the car can give me a real hit in one area I'll tend to gloss over its faults in an other. I just can't see myself getting up early for a blast in an R32 as I would with an STi PPP sitting on my drive, daring me to see if I had the b***s to take it on.

So, do I have rose tinted specs ononder2: Do the new cars deliver such a wide spread of talent that I'd soon forget about the 'one trick ponies'. should I accept middle age, tune into radio 3 and enjoy the quality engineering that has went into the Golf hatch to hide all the joins / fastners that are clearly visible in the Subaru

P.S. Maybe I should test drive one of these new fangled machines
Old 11 November 2005, 09:57 PM
alexf2003
Scooby Regular

130M

do you mean 130i

there isnt a m powered 1 series.

Alex
Old 11 November 2005, 10:10 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

"Plough your own furrow"
"Whatever floats your boat".
"Out of the mouths of babes".
"You pays your money".
"You only live once" (perhaps?).
Old 11 November 2005, 10:31 PM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

Don't do it.
You know what you want.
You won't regret a Subaru PPP on your driveway.
It may not be the newest fashion but it's heading for the classics.
Old 11 November 2005, 10:42 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk
EVO Magazine, Top Gear Magazine, Autocar Magazine etc seem to have a common thread of saying the playstation generation are past their sell by date (Subaru / EVO). I believe even the Civic Type R has come under pressure from the new entrants of Golf GTI, BMW 130M.

I need help in trying to mature, I'm 36 but feel in the eyes of the magazine writers I may have stayed mentally at 18!! You see I think the new Golf GTI, R32, BMW 130M etc do look classy and refined and clearly look as though they may have a wider spread of talent (quality / re-sale value / image / to name a few). The issue I have is that I will happily accept a crap interior, an inappropriate image, etc because it'll have an x-factor that'll scare the bejesus out of me when I nail it over a country road. I don't need that last 5% of handling that the Golf GTi would give me over say a Civic Type R because I'd be laughing my head off as I ripped past 7,500 rpm in the Civic. The Subaru mantle is slipping I'm sure if the writers are to be believed when compared against an R32 as an overall package - but hey if the car can give me a real hit in one area I'll tend to gloss over its faults in an other. I just can't see myself getting up early for a blast in an R32 as I would with an STi PPP sitting on my drive, daring me to see if I had the b***s to take it on.

So, do I have rose tinted specs ononder2: Do the new cars deliver such a wide spread of talent that I'd soon forget about the 'one trick ponies'. should I accept middle age, tune into radio 3 and enjoy the quality engineering that has went into the Golf hatch to hide all the joins / fastners that are clearly visible in the Subaru

P.S. Maybe I should test drive one of these new fangled machines

Mate, you`re not the only one out there, believe me !

I`m 42, and have just got my first ever STi PPP, and I honestly cannot believe the performance !

I promise you bud, you are not missing out on anything with all these new, more sublte, shiny toys about. If you still want hardcore, then stick with the Scoob.

I had a CTR before I got the Scoob, and I loved it, but needed to change when my little lad was born on 1/8 this year (yeah, I know, 42 and life in the old dog yet), as I needed 4 doors.

I duly set out, and made it my mission to drive one or two of the "favourites" with 4 doors, ie: the new Golf GTi, the Mazda RX8 etc, FFS, the Mrs even had me looking at bloody 4x4`s !!

Anyway, I test-drove, thoroughly enjoyed, and subsequently bought, a new WRX. I soon got used to the power (as you do) struck a little deal locally, and had it PPP`d.

Something was still missing though (besides my brain ), and that was the hardcore feel of my CTR, which I still missed.

So then I tried an STi, and oh yeesssss ! Did I enjoy it ! Felt as hardcore as the CTR, but on bloody steroids, and I instantly wanted one. Lo and behold, after losing a boat-load of cash on the WRX (life`s too short an` all that), I recently bought myself the STi PPP.

I`ll tell you what mate, they can keep the new toys for me, because this thing is ace ! Fast as you`ll ever need (certainly on the road anyway), handles exactly as I like, and commands a certain (performance) respect wherever it goes.

That`ll do for me.

So, to reiterate, no mate, YOU`RE NOT ON YOUR OWN........................
Old 11 November 2005, 10:48 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Journos are paid to have opinions.

**** 'em.
Old 11 November 2005, 10:56 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Hulk, BTW mate............stuff maturity !
You`ve plenty of time to be old when you are, and at 36, you`ve loads of time yet mate, so keep raggin` the ar-se off that Scooby of yours, and enjoy !
Old 12 November 2005, 09:07 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Well the journalist, the professionals have actually tested the cars and now what they are talking about. But if it was for them we would have a new car every week, as anything of last week for them is outdated.
As said before get what you think you want!
Old 12 November 2005, 09:30 AM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Hi hulk

As a responsible parent (I'm 35 with 2 kids) you need a 4 door saloon - if the STi tickles your fancy then get it. Couldn't do the big spoiler thing myself so WRXPPP was the thing for me. Cheap crappy interior, chav gold wheels, kids take pics on their mobile, but boy does it fly and we enjoy it LOADS!

If it puts a smile on your face when you drive it then it's the car for you!

andy
Old 12 November 2005, 09:35 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alexf2003 - I would like to draw your attention to this

Old 12 November 2005, 09:36 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

..............and this
Old 12 November 2005, 09:44 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

I'm 36 and I love it My ol' classic MY00 that is. Big spoiler, decat etc.
Old 12 November 2005, 10:01 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I'm 31 and have only just ventured into the world of Subaru (last May) and have not looked back - amazing cars, regardless of what the trolls say.

p.s. The BMW '1' series is a girls car, even the 'M' version.
Old 12 November 2005, 10:17 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an sti you wont regret it i would make sweet love to mine if i could
Old 12 November 2005, 11:44 AM
ScoobaruZXZ
Scooby Newbie

I started out with a Y reg Imprezza Sport model and have recently got a WRX (slightly modded one)... 257bhp later and the smile still would fade Stick with the Scooby and stuff the write ups. You never see the cars pitted against one another and an STi is gonna have em licked anyway.
Old 12 November 2005, 12:47 PM
spikkeydevil
Scooby Newbie

Cool Who me,act my age?

In reply to your dilema,I have just reached 47 and drive a MR2 T/Top for summer use and have just purchased and STI as my main motor.The STI is a blast which i do not think i will ever get over experiencing as they drag me in to retirement.Not only do they give me enjoyment but put smiles on my family, friends and continue to turn heads as we pass by. So all i can say is go for it forget the clinical drive of modern hot hatches and get back to pure
grunt.
You wont be dissapointed.
Old 12 November 2005, 12:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Journos are paid to have opinions.

**** 'em.

To true!
Old 12 November 2005, 12:49 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i am 39 and i still enjoy my 500+ bhp classic
Old 12 November 2005, 04:32 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

There's plenty of time in the future to get yourself a Rover.. enjoy the Subaru..!
Old 12 November 2005, 06:28 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

I'm on the far side of 40 and test drove a WRX PPP and a Golf MkV GTi. The Golf was far too mature! Nor did I like the ESP or the generic VAG interior -- too much like the Leon Cupra we used to have. Act your age and get the STi!
Old 12 November 2005, 07:30 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I too have spent the last 6 months or so trying to decide what to buy & am also knocking on 36!

Previously had a Civic Type R (which I loved), looked at the Golf GTI (too clinical), Megane 225 (French), RX8 (weird engine/ no road presence) even a 350Z (awesome, but no back seats). Only other experience of Subaru was a test drive 4 years ago in a bugeye & a track day this summer.

In the end I've opted for a MY05 WRX. Great Value, adequate performance 0-60 in sub 6 sec FFS!, sh1te interior, & non-pc image...... I love it.
The great thing about a Scoob is it sticks 2 fingers up at the A4/C-class/3 series brigade I park next to every day. Just can't wait to pick it up!
Old 12 November 2005, 07:46 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

I also looked at all of these cars and as there is going to be hundreds of them around i decided to get my SUBARU Type'R'.... 2 Door, gorgeous looks..... Tell me any car that looks even near as good as these monsters!!!!! ( Obviously the 22B is the exception!)
Old 12 November 2005, 08:58 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Just enjoy your car,dont worry what everybody else think.Because you will have the last laugh when you get behind the wheel.
Old 12 November 2005, 09:36 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Wink GREAT! GREAT! Bloody GREAT!

I am 34 and have just got my first ever Subaru. I knew nothing about them 7 weeks ago and took delivery of a brand new WRX 300 4 weeks ago! PPP, window tints, Scott Lowe flaps.
My wife says it is the best car she has ever drove! That says it all! It's a WINNER!.
Never mind all the fancy buttons that do this and that...............it's called KIDOLOGY! They give you them to add a percieved value to your Beamer.
It's like geting a top of the range mobile with ALL the gadgets...........You NEVER NEVER use them all.
My good friend who is also a professional magician has just bought himself the above said 265bhp BMW 1 series...............when I told him about the Scoby he e-mailed and said that he thought he was the man on the block with a power beast! Even he had bowed down to the mighty scoob of plenty.

I know that If the Subaru had another extra 20 fancy buttons, be honest how many would you use! Harly if any at all!

You have one of the most stable road going cars around. And without flooring it too much I have managed to get the following on a full tank: first tank 325 miles: Second tank 337 then the light came on!

Like the Subaru. You use all the time: lights, door locks, air con, wipers, adjust the wing mirrors etc, that's ALL you need. It's the way YOU connect the SCOOB. It's a completely different feeling I have ever had from the rest of other owned cars.
Keep it fun, real and keep it AWD for real!
Old 13 November 2005, 08:49 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

When you read the articles in detail the general tone is the same the Subaru remains the best drivers car but by smaller margins than in the past but it doesn't have the level of refinement which comes with the say a R32.

What you need to remember is the journalists who raved after the Subaru ten years ago are now 40 something with sagging *****. Its not the cars that have changed its the journalists.

Having said that Subaru need to up the power stakes or they will continue to lose people to the other marques. With the introduction of 2.5L I would likes to see PPP become standard.
Old 13 November 2005, 10:00 AM
Scooby Doctor
Scooby Newbie

Just to add my point, scoobies rock!
Had some friends of mine from Japan come and stay with us for a few days, anyway we went around in the scoob and every time went round a corner friends little girl would giggle and say wow!
they all loved the car and they see these things everyday where they live.
Also if you let your girlfriend/wife drive the scoob she will love you forever (or love the car?) anyway life is for living!

live life, drive a scoob, and b happy