noob and my06 wrx sti type uk

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 07:52 PM
zzpza
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb noob and my06 wrx sti type uk

hi,

i'm new to the forum. i'm a big german car fan (lots of 'dubs and a few bmw and porsche). but am learning about and enjoying japanese cars more and more. i currently have a v6 galant but... it's got a broken gearbox at the moment.

i'm looking at splashing some cash on a my06 wrx sti type uk to use as a daily driver. anyone know what the waiting list is like? or an idea on residuals? or service interval / cost? i've poked about the subaru site a bit and can't really find the info i'm looking for. i'm going to see a dealer at the w/end, but the more info i can gather before hand, the better. is there any haggling over the price / do they give good trade in prices (obviously with a *fixed* gearbox!)?

cheers,
jules.

Last edited by zzpza; 03 November 2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04 November 2005, 08:45 AM
zzpza
Scooby Newbie

Default any info at all!

well i bought a copy of the top gear review mag (all their car reviews in one mag) and couldn't find the my06 wrx sti type uk, or any other my06 impreza. i also bought "car" which had half a column compairing it to an rx-8. what's going on? have i missed all the major mag reviews or are they still to come?

someone please throw me a bone, even if it's just a url to some non-US reviews of the car or just a welcome to the forum!

tia,
jules.
Old 04 November 2005, 09:00 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Hiya Matey, Welcome on Board.

My Best advice is unless you're rolling in it don't buy new at the moment. I'm afraid people seam to be dropping thousands the minute they drive out of the dealers.

Personally I'd go for a 6 month old MY05 with PPP or a WR1, If considering new I'd go to Litchfeild imports and have a chat with them on a JDM spec.

I've had 2 v6 Galants. 1 x V6.24 valve (UK) & 1 x VR4 (JDM) and both had gearbox issues. I wish you luck Sir!
Old 04 November 2005, 09:18 AM
speednut
Scooby Newbie

I'm sure that both EVO and Japnese performance have both done articles on the MY06. The car has now been launched in Europe but there are currently only a couple in the UK. Although it was meant to be available now the UK launch has been postponed until the new year but I don't know what the reason is. Waiting times therefore must be a little uncertain. There are dealerships that get preferential allocation on STI's. I know that if I put an order in to my local dealership that they'd be one of the first to be able to supply the car. If only I could afford it...

As for residuals on Scoobies...just look around the threads on here and you'll se how hard they are to sell. I'm sure that the residuals would be better if they didn't update the model at least every year, but that's the price we pay for the improvements I guess.
Old 04 November 2005, 10:56 AM
zzpza
Scooby Newbie

well, just spoke to my local dealer. they have a demo car in the colour i want (gunmetal) so i'm going to have a look at it on sunday. hopefully they will have it on the road by then as it's just arrived. the dealer seemed to think that he could get one in two weeks time from when i placed the order. he even offered me the demo car if they couldn't get it that quick as it's the colour i want.

i'm afraid i've fallen for the looks of the my06 and now wouldn't be happy with the previous model. though there are some amazing deals to be had... so my head may over rule my heart... maybe.

j.
Old 04 November 2005, 10:58 AM
zzpza
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Listy
I've had 2 v6 Galants. 1 x V6.24 valve (UK) & 1 x VR4 (JDM) and both had gearbox issues. I wish you luck Sir!
it's a v6-24 i have, and it's the torque converter that's gone. £1k4 for a new one, but i have a lead on a recon one for £350. i hope it pans out.

j.
Old 04 November 2005, 12:00 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zzpza
hi,

i'm new to the forum. i'm a big german car fan (lots of 'dubs and a few bmw and porsche). but am learning about and enjoying japanese cars more and more. i currently have a v6 galant but... it's got a broken gearbox at the moment.

i'm looking at splashing some cash on a my06 wrx sti type uk to use as a daily driver. anyone know what the waiting list is like? or an idea on residuals? or service interval / cost? i've poked about the subaru site a bit and can't really find the info i'm looking for. i'm going to see a dealer at the w/end, but the more info i can gather before hand, the better. is there any haggling over the price / do they give good trade in prices (obviously with a *fixed* gearbox!)?

cheers,
jules.
I'll think you'll be shocked at the residuals. The NewAge 03/04/05 are losing half their value roughly in 2 years!! Doubt i'll get one new, let someone else lose the big chunk.
Old 04 November 2005, 02:31 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

If you can stomach the losses you WILL make come time to sell then go for it. I bought a new P1 and lost 14k over 4 years, but I knew I'd lose it when I bought it. Suffice to say I'd never again buy a new Impreza, nor any car. Youll be looking to lose at least half the value (possibly 2/3 rds) of the car within three years, and trade it in to a subaru dealers for cash and they'll give you the most miserly sum possible.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:05 PM
zzpza
Scooby Newbie

you all make a persuasive agrument. i'll still go and have a look at one, but i'm thinking that the my06 look impreza might not be my next car, but maybe the one after.

j.